PDA

View Full Version : New to me 2001 416ex, smoke eminating around engine???

Hotrod20s
11-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I just got a used 2001 400ex. I was told it had a 416 piston and stage 2 cam. Bought it sight unseen for an amazing price. after rejetting it today for the 5000+ altitude change from previous owner, once it warmed up a little there was a small bit of smoke arrising from al around the engine. I was unable to really determine where it came from. checked header bolts and they seemed to be tight and even. Am I in need of a new head gasket and some GT studs? also when I was trying to rejet the pilot jet and screw to get it to start and idle by itself I had the intake hose off and sometimes when it would just barely start and then die there would be a puff of whitish smoke came back out the carb. Do I need to check my rockers? Is the carb timed wrong?

rdtrp13
11-28-2009, 09:50 PM
first things first you will need to find where the smoke is coming from around the engine, what type of gas are you using, did he say when it was last rebuilt? how clean is the engine, any oil anywhere? if i had the money i would have a pro look at it, maybe pull apart check actually what size piston is in it and check to make sure everything is tuned right and change all seal and gaskets, that is what i do on all used bikes i have ever bought. it makes me feel alot more comfortable on it when i know it is setup right and not just taking the word of a guy that sold it to me, since what he was wanting is to get rid of it anyway, so he will tell you what you want to hear to buy it.

Hotrod20s
11-28-2009, 09:58 PM
It supposedly only has 1 hour on the rebuild. Don't really believe that unless the rebuild was fubar'd. I drained the tank when I got it and filled with a 91-111 vp mix at 101 octane before I tried to jet it. No leakes of any kind could be found. One missing bolt on oil filter cover but no leaks.

wrekd
11-28-2009, 10:14 PM
The smoke from around the engine is probably just something he cleaned it with. The whitish smoke coming out of the back of the carb was most likely compressed a/f that didnt get burned. As long as it runs fine and theres no strange noises, i wouldn't worry about it. The GT Thunder studs wouldn't be a bad idea to have installed IMO. Then you can find out exacly what size its bored over to and check a few things while its apart.

DEERCHOOPER
11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
armor all will do that, if he got it very shinny for the sale

Hotrod20s
11-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Is it possible that this could be a result of me letting it idle and run with out moving any extra air thru it while I was trying to tune it. It was 30 deg outside at the time so I wasn't running out of the shop to ride it as I adjusted. Ran for maybe 10 minutes or so, maybe a bit more. temp in shop was 50ish. If so did I do any damage to it. I killed it soon as I saw the smoke and couldn't find a source.

wrekd
11-29-2009, 11:23 PM
If its not knocking or leaking anything I wouldn't even worry about it. It was probably just some kind of cleaner burning off the engine. BTW, you shouldn't jet it with the air filter off. The jetting won't be right when you hook it back up.