PDA

View Full Version : Any help with starting problem?

400exc
11-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I went to start the 450 today, it turned over strong right when I pressed the button like usual, but right before it started it made a clank sound, so I let off the start button. When I went to start it again, all it does it is make a ticking sound from around/ underneath the battery. It sounds like it is coming from underneath the battery, which is that the magneto? If anyone can help out and tell me what the problem might be that would be greatly appreciated. Anythign that might be an engine problem? I surely hope I didn't buy a lemon. Thanks again

TNT
11-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Thats the starter solinoid your hearing, the points are clicking it's fried. Carry an xtra they go out often or talk to BCS they got a harness that eliminates it I think....you'll spend less in the long run w/thier harness than noids, relays, fuses, junk you don't need that makes any EFI quad unreliable.

florentino
11-28-2009, 02:47 PM
sounds to me like a real simple loose connetion or low batt try jump start it. or check the volts and amps in your batt and all your fuses

LTRracer4
11-29-2009, 10:02 AM
yeah, start with battery connections first. Its usually the simple stuff

xrxmxcx
11-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Check battery voltage, a clicking solenoid isn't always a bad solenoid. Sometimes the clicking you hear is inadequate voltage to turn over.

400exc
11-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Checked the battery, and it was fine. I put a new one in for the heck of it and still did it. All of the connections are tight. Im pretty sure it is the solenoid.

mebcop
11-29-2009, 06:01 PM
mine did the same thing but it was a bad battery

TNT
11-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exc
Checked the battery, and it was fine. I put a new one in for the heck of it and still did it. All of the connections are tight. Im pretty sure it is the solenoid.

You should be able to take a jumper (a wire 10 gage usually w/aligator clips) and jump accross that noid. What that will do is engergize a coil inside the noid that sends voltage through the starter switch to a diode then to the ECU and the starter motor to start the quad. Try it if it works then the noid needs replacement. If your not carefull you might blow a 20amp charge system fuse so have some on hand. You can also jump from the positive batt or noid to the starter motor if ever need be just to get it starter. Carry a long like 6 gage jumper on the quad that reaches or in your tool box.

Got my manual back and am looking at the wire diagram so now I'm smarter than XRX.....J/K! :D

400exc
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Took it to the dealer today since it is still under warranty. Might as well use it if I have it :D Everything is covered according to the dealer. I'll will let you guys know what the problem was.

400exc
12-06-2009, 08:18 AM
The dealer called me yesterday. They said it was a wiring harness was bad. The terminals by the ECM were junk. You can't just replace the terminals, you have to replace the whole harness. Luckily its under warranty.