PDA

View Full Version : oil change on a 05 450r

RustyStunts
11-27-2009, 07:39 PM
can some one give me a link of how to do n oil change on my 05 450r...it has oil plugs on boths sides to put oil in it..i dunno what to do

z400bs
11-27-2009, 07:44 PM
if sitting on the bike, the left side is your engine oil and the right side is your clutch/gear oil. what side are you changing or are you changing both?

RustyStunts
11-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by z400bs
if sitting on the bike, the left side is your engine oil and the right side is your clutch/gear oil. what side are you changing or are you changing both?

both???

RustyStunts
11-27-2009, 07:59 PM
and will a 07 400ex front sprocket go on a 05 450r

z400bs
11-27-2009, 08:09 PM
ok, for engine oil, you should change this around every 3-5 rides. with that i change my oil filter every other ride, some people do every ride its really up to you. the drain plug for that is under the motor. Drain the oil from the case first, then take out the filter, clean up all the oil inside there, and put your new filter in. be careful not to tighten down to much on those bolts. For engine oil it should take if i believe around a quart and a lil more( i have an 06 so i know they are a little different) just pay attention to the site glass. once you get a good amount of oil in there start the bike up, let run for a few min, then shut off, and check oil level, and add if necessary. The oil in the site glass will automatticly look dirty and black again, dont worry its normal, its just to check your oil level. you want to use this oil for the engine side.......

z400bs
11-27-2009, 08:10 PM
my picture didnt show up......

z400bs
11-27-2009, 08:18 PM
for your tranny side you do not need to change as often as your engine side, the drain plug for this side is on the side of the case(picture below) you can use the same oil for this side as you use for the other, but alot of people prefer honda hp tran oil( ill post a pic) it should take about one bottle of that.

z400bs
11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
use this for your tranny side, its better...........

z400bs
11-27-2009, 08:20 PM
for the sprocket i have no clue but to try and c!:D

RustyStunts
11-27-2009, 08:39 PM
cool thanks buddy..ride safe!

d3ktrix
02-02-2010, 05:02 AM
for your tranny side you do not need to change as often as your engine side

Personally, I disagree with this.
The tranny oil actually lubes more bearings in the bottom end then the engine oil does. And I'd imagine the shearing of all the gears breaks down the oil pretty fast.
Plus there is clutch materiel mixed in with this oil, and this side does not get filtered at all.

I change both sides every 2-3 rides, my engine side still comes out gold most of the time. The tranny side normally has some kind of clutch contamination in it.

racer 557
02-07-2010, 06:11 PM
theres 2 diffrent drain spots??

i thought by pulling the bolt in the bottem it drained both sides

d3ktrix
02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by racer 557
theres 2 diffrent drain spots??

i thought by pulling the bolt in the bottem it drained both sides

Guess your tranny oil has never been changed.

The plug on the bottom is just the crank oil. Plug on the side is the clutch/tans oil.

racer 557
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Guess your tranny oil has never been changed.

The plug on the bottom is just the crank oil. Plug on the side is the clutch/tans oil.

No it's just I have rode my quad less than a full hour because of constant engine repairs because of the dim wite I traded my 07 yfz in perfect condition for he skrewed me big time and I just got it back from a 2300 repair so I have not had to wurry about the tranny oil since this rebuild I may have 30 mind on my quad

RustyStunts
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by racer 557
No it's just I have rode my quad less than a full hour because of constant engine repairs because of the dim wite I traded my 07 yfz in perfect condition for he skrewed me big time and I just got it back from a 2300 repair so I have not had to wurry about the tranny oil since this rebuild I may have 30 mind on my quad

damn that blows....id cut him lol

Scro
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
for your tranny side you do not need to change as often as your engine side, the drain plug for this side is on the side of the case(picture below) you can use the same oil for this side as you use for the other, but alot of people prefer honda hp tran oil( ill post a pic) it should take about one bottle of that.

This is not the drain location for the 04/05 models. The 04/05 tranny drain bolt is on the opposite side, behind the clutch cover. I usually change my tranny oil every other ride, and change my engine oil after every ride. I use Amsoil in the engine, and Honda red bottle in the tranny.

The 400ex sprocket will not work.

RustyStunts
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Scro
This is not the drain location for the 04/05 models. The 04/05 tranny drain bolt is on the opposite side, behind the clutch cover. I usually change my tranny oil every other ride, and change my engine oil after every ride. I use Amsoil in the engine, and Honda red bottle in the tranny.

The 400ex sprocket will not work.

would u have a pic of the tranny drain bolt??? i cant find it

Scro
02-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't have a pic, but it's toward the back of the motor, down toward the bottom. If I remember correctly, it's either a 10 or 12mm bolt head, and it's the only bolt that size toward the back of the motor. It's just above the "triangle" in the frame.

d3ktrix
02-08-2010, 01:14 PM
^ Yup, 12mm.

racer 557
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah well after it started out with him tellin me the valves have never been touched and which I was told they have many time he got all pissy and threatined to call cops so my father told me back down

Now don't get me wrong the trx is a good bike but it's not worth trading. 07 electric start yfz with razr and razr 2 with full skid plates bassiclally a full pipe and a edelbrock carb for a 04 kick start trx that I have had to put about 3k into to get it back to atleast show room floor but it's above that now