PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace my clutch?

slightlybent47
11-27-2009, 06:27 PM
My 07 ex still has the original stock clutch in it and I’m wondering if I need to replace it.
I am all for if it’s not broke don’t fix it but here is the deal. After I had the ex for about a year I had it rebuilt in the off season. I put in a 416 with a 12:1 and a p&p with a stage 2 cam. I had picked up a new stock clutch when I did the build thinking that the extra power would be hard on the old one, I thought I’d have one on hand. Well it’s been a year since then and the old clutch is still holding up.

But I wonder if clutches are like breaks and start to slip a little bit over time and not be noticeable until there worn out. So my question is should I go ahead and put in the new clutch?

Now I say clutch I mean just the plates not the basket. I have never done a clutch so what do I need to get it done.

Thanks

sportracer07
11-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Usually when a clutch is going bad it will start to slip in the higher gears under hard acceleration, if it isn't slipping i wouldn't worry about it, but if you want to change it its not that hard and all you need is basic hand tools.

gt400ex
11-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Yea I would wait till it starts slipping before you replace it. Youll feel it start slipping when its on its way out so dont worry.

slightlybent47
11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Ok that’s kinda what I was thinking, if it aint broke don’t fix it.