PDA

View Full Version : engine noise

Duf6
11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
checked and rechecked the valves and their within spec what else should we look for or is some chatter normal this is a 2006 yfz,valves have never been before but everything else has been maintained on a regular basis

Duf6
11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
kinda what i figured i guess i should throw out the dumper moter and put in a 2 stroke more power less bull

BakerRacing40
11-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Check your timing chain and the tensioner for it.. When is the last time the oil was changed?

greasesucker
11-28-2009, 02:20 AM
the timing chain and tensioner are both okay. it's actually on my quad. i took the valve cover off the other night and checked everything and it's within specs. it's due for an oil change, but not terribly. the only other thing i could think of was maybe the screen in the oil tank was clogged and not allowing enough oil to enter the engine. anyone else have any suggestions.

Ride1Rob
11-28-2009, 05:56 AM
A little chatter is normal. Especially if you have aftermarket cams. It'll be louder than the normal YFZ. If you have heard these bikes run before and yours is stock (no cams) and is louder than those that you have heard something is going on.

If you want to get a good indication of your oil flow take the valve cover off and turn the motor over. Oil should fill up in the top of that head pretty quickly.

Duf6
11-28-2009, 08:40 AM
if he's not gettin good oil flow that would cause some ecessive wear on the cam wouldn't it and just joking about the 2 stroke thing

Ryan
11-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Since i've bought mine, i've always heard alot of chatter going on in the head. I checked my valves a few months back, I was almost positive they needed to be shimmed, (judging from noise and motor hours) . Turned out everything was right in spec, But on the very tight side of the specs.

The cams/valves are normally noisey on this quad. I got everything apart, im gonna look into mine this week just to make sure everything is in spec. I never know if its my imagination that the noise is clickin and clackin louder.

Since were kind of on a similar subject... How many of you are running full synthetic in your atv's?

Toadz400
11-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Chatter to a certain extent is normal with the YFZ's.

I run Amsoil synthetic and still have a small amount of chatter in the top end. Valves are within spec with no wear on the cams.

banker30
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
if your gonna throw the motor out and put in a 2 stroke what do you want for the yfz motor? it needs a crank therefor your gonna need a complete rebuild..piston,crank,cylinder ect..if your junking the yfz motor let me know how much for it

Duf6
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
i was just joking to get try to get people to give me some answers it's also my cousin's quad but i would like to have a built banshee motor in a yfz, that would have to be a fun ride