PDA

View Full Version : 1988 250R with CT350 kit & 39mm Carb

markturbo
11-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm looking at buying my first 250R, well actually a 350R with a 39mm carb. It looks to be in nice shape based on the pictures, but I'm going to look at it this weekend. Is there anything in paticular I should look for/listen for as far as the motor goes. I don't know anything about the CT350 kit, would I be able to find parts for the 350, pistion, rings, etc ? Is the CT350 a reliable setup?

Thanks in advance for any help!

addictedtomud
11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I am a big fan of CT and LRD 350 motors...I think you won't have any trouble with reliability unless it was somehow damaged before you get it such as dirt in the cylinder scarring it up or something. Would be hard to detect that during a test ride! If you need to rebuild it CT has everything you'll need. Piston and rings = $180, gasket kit = $50, find someone local to bore it out or send it to CT for $65. 39mm carb should be about right. Just make sure it is jetted properly for your area when you get it home.

machwon
11-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Listen for the obvious noises, piston slap at idle. If you're familar with how a good 350 is done you could ask the seller what bore size its on, who built it, did they bore the crankcases, etc. Be sure and find out what octane fuel requirements the motor was set up for. CT commonly uses a custom cut flat top pistons in his 350's, so add another $20 to the piston prices for the flat top mod. It also means use his flat top domes, or totally convert to someone elses version. The last one I got from CT he has made some changes, and yes we had the problem in the area he hopefully has fixed. It won't be as reliable as a stock motor, but still pretty good as long as it's set up right and you take care of it.