PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem

kawasakiracer
11-26-2009, 12:31 PM
05 kfx....push start button does not " click in" the starter relay. Have replaced the start button, on/off,headlight switch cluster on handlebar.....replaced starter relay.....and replaced main wiring harness.
The starter is good...no power getting to the relay. How is this possible with everything ive replaced????
Is the power routed through the rectitier or rev box coming back from the start button to the realy????? Does anybody know???

cataway
11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
did you replace the fuse ?

kawasakiracer
11-26-2009, 03:58 PM
lol...I wish it was as simple as a freaking fuse. YES the fuse is good.

Vic Vega
12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Ok, I had the same problem on my 04 LTZ400 as you are having on your Kaw. I found the problem on mine, hopefully this helps you:

I had 2 problems at the same time. First, my clutch switch was cracked and connection was not being made. I think you stated that you had all ready removed yours, so that's probably not your problem. Second, I traced the 3 wires coming from the relay through the rear fender plastic and there it was, the relay wires were rubbing against some other wires and I guess over a period of time got rubbed raw and broke. I soldered them together and my Z fired right up. So trace your relay wires through the rear fender plastic and see what condition they are in. Also, I noticed my neg battery cable had a worn bare spot on it from rubbing against the plastic, not too bad I'm just gonna tape it up, but check yours out. Hope this helps.

miles Machine
12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
be carfull with ppl giving you advice on how the solenoid works mainly because the 03's were configured diferently sending power through the instrument panel to the solenoid which was already grounded. on 04 up power is supplied to the solenoid through the key....now your ground goes from the solenoid making connection from the switch..to the start button...then to the clutch switch, when there all switched on pushed/pulled in they complete the circuit creating a electro magnet inside the solenoid sucking the umbrella valve down on the 2 contacts.

hopefully knowing how it works helps you out...if you have any other questions feel free to pm me