PDA

View Full Version : Funny Turkey-day stories, (and/or disasters)

tri5ron
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I thought I'd start a thread for us to all tell of any funny stories that we encounter today.

I'll start, with how mine is going so far.....

Today will be my first attempt at deep frying a turkey. I've wanted to try it for years, and decided that this year I was going to do it.
Well, a little while ago, I got the bird all set up and ready to Inject with my favorite BBQ sauce,... "Woody's Cookin' Sauce".

After doing a little reading on how to approach it, and how much to inject,I think I'm ready to go.

I've got my large plastic injector with a large tip, cut it to a sharp needle like point, and filled it with the Woody's.
I jab it into the fleshy part of the breast, and proceed to inject it in.
Not realizing that I should move the needle around while still in the meat to dissapate some of the pressure I have created,.....
And having a good 2 or 3 .oz's at I'm guessing somewhere around 7000 psi,....
I removed the "needle" from the first injection site.

Guess what !?!?!?!.... Did you know that BBQ sauce under high pressure can SPRAY like a FIREHOSE???
YEP ! It sure can !
It closely resembles a Shotgun Blast , or a Nuclear BBQ Explosion !
Simply AMAZING how quickly you can cover half of the kitchen with the stuff.
I got it on the upper and lower cabinets, completely covered myself, all over the floor, 2/3rd's of the dining room table and 3 chairs, both dogs, the microwave, the stove, the sink, the kitchen window and mini-blinds, and even a good amount on the ceiling.

Heck, I guess I figure if your going to make a mess, make it a GOOD one ! (My wife is NOT amused !)

well, I got it pretty well cleaned up, and quickly learned that it would be a good idea to "pre-poke" the bird with the harpoon end of a meat probe, prior to injecting some more sauce.
The next 10 injections went well without repeat incidents.

now, I'm off to set up the fryer,.....
Wish me luck !!! (I think I'm going to need it)

:D :eek2: :D :eek2: :D :eek2:

tri5ron
11-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Ok, next installment,...

The fryer, kettle, tools, and peanut oil, was given to me by a buddy who was going to do it last year, but ended up not using it.
I take a look at the instructions to learn that even unused, unopened peanut oil can only be stored for 3 to 6 months, so off to the store I go. (I did go yesterday, and picked up 2 one gallon jugs just to be safe and sure that I'd have enough).

I get to the store to find that the shelf that HAD 50+, one gallon jugs yesterday,.... is now stripped clean, and there is only four, 5 gallon jugs left.
I buy a 5 gallon jug, and head home.

So now I'm ready to go right ? WRONG !

I tell my wife that I'm going to get started, because it's going to take 30-45 minutes to get the oil hot, and another 30 -40 minutes to cook. It is now 12:00 noon.
She says that we are planning on eating around 4pm, so my bird will be cold by the time we are going to have dinner.
I know that she is going to have the house oven busy, as well as the big roaster, that she is using for her big turkey. So I won't be able to keep it warm there.

I suggest that if I get mine going now, I can stick it in the camper oven to keep it warm. Ok, good plan.

I go out to camper to find that we are completely out of propane.
So now I'm off to fill the propane tanks, and when I get back, I'm cookin that DANG BIRD !!!

ridered11
11-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Hope you finally got it, I really want to try a fried turkey next year.

Quad18star
11-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh Oh ... sounds like this might end with a trip to KFC .:devil:

tri5ron
11-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star 1
Oh Oh ... sounds like this might end with a trip to KFC .:devil: SHAME on you !
I'd hit up the rotessire at Polly's, long before KFC :D :D :D

Quad18star
11-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
SHAME on you !
I'd hit up the rotessire at Polly's, long before KFC :D :D :D

LOL Ain't ever heard of Polly's .... we only got the dirty bird (aka KFC) up here.

Tommy Warren
11-26-2009, 07:10 PM
swiss chalet....

Pipeless416
11-26-2009, 08:50 PM
haha the nuclear bbq explosion actually had me laughing pretty good here.. my night involved my moms side (30 people) in our far from big enough house.. my cousin's parakeet.. and a snowmobile helmet for protection from that stupid divebombing bird. it was a fiasco. my cousin got crapped on twice :p

11-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Oh Oh ... sounds like this might end with a trip to KFC .:devil:

KFC is THE most disgusting fast food I have eaten. Seriously I threw it out.

tri5ron
11-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, Dinner was fantastic, and Suzanne,(my wife), really outdid herself. The table was covered from one end to the other, with the most delectable treats you can imagine. I'm a lucky man to have a wife that actually enjoys spending the entire day cooking up some very special dishes for the family to enjoy.
But that's not what you all want to hear about...

My deep fried bird did come out very tasty, but I do admit that this was a learning experience, and I need to practice it a bit to get it perfected.
Juicy,... Yes.
A bit over-done,... Yes.
I guess I let it go about 10 minutes too long, and that resulted in a wonderfully juicy inner meat, covered in a nice "Turkey-Jerky" shell. LOL!
A little tough for the first 1/4" or so, then nice and tender inside.
No fires, No eruptions, No 911 calls, No injuries or damage.
All is good.

I'll certainly do it again, but next time I will try to tone it down a little, and avoid the "Jerky" outer shell, lol.
It still tasted great, and everyone liked it.

Now the table is getting cleared from the first round, and Suzanne's internationally famous parade of pumpkin and fruit pies are about to follow....gotta go....

Life is good, belly is fat, and all is well.
(I'll be cleaning up the remainder of the sauce off the ceiling tommorow)
Happy T-day to all...
Ron