PDA

View Full Version : PEP ZPS vs. Fox Podium

liljhall09
11-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey guys i got an 06' stock swingarm and im looking to put a shock and link on it. Which of these two do you guys prefer ? What are the big differences ? I also was looking to switch my front shocks to FOX.

Thanks

flyboy450r
11-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Fox is a real company. For the most part PEP is a out of date company build a over priced works shocks. I mean fox comes stock on tons of shocks for stugg, from quads, bikes, and they even build off road buggy and truck shocks. I mean I think ive said enough plus you will have your fox shock is a week or so were PEP you will wait 3-6 months is the word on the street

MX450
11-26-2009, 08:12 AM
wow, not sure where you are getting you info. If PEP is so outdated then why do sooo many national caliber racers ride them?? hmm. PEPs are setup custom for you and your bike, so they are going to be setup very close out of the box. fox you will have to do some playing with to get it dialed in. I have heard of a lot of guys running PEPs out back and FOX up front bc the rear fox shocks dont work that great, but i have no experience myself.

oh yea and my PEPs took about 5 WEEKS to get, not 3-6 months:rolleyes:

Lquad71
11-26-2009, 08:29 AM
yea definitely not accurate info on the PEP's. and what i have done is a 2007 swingarm(same as 06) and a lonestar dc-6 linkage. this rear setup was highly recommended by Wayne from PEP if you dont have the money to go with a fully aftermarket rear end. He said that he helped design the linkage and from what i can tell the pep and dc-6 work very nicely together. but i haven't used fox before.

liljhall09
11-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Ya i heard good about both of them , but if i was gonna keep my peps up front i wanted to stay pep in the rear i think , or vise versa. Would the baldwin link work just as good as the lsr ?

fastac
11-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Talked to Mark yesterday and he said use his link, stock 06 or newer swingarm and a PEP and you will be very happy and alot less money than buying 3 shocks. Thats what were going to do.

Lquad71
11-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Im sure baldwin would work fine.
just tell whoever you are getting your PEP shock from what swingarm and linkage you are using.
and if you are getting the shock from baldwin im sure they deal with the rear shocks and their linkage a lot anyways.

liljhall09
11-26-2009, 09:24 AM
I just need to find a good deal on a shock that comes wit a link !

11-26-2009, 09:28 AM
X2 on that i would use the DC6 lonestar link with a PEP shock or the baldwin link with a PEP shock. since you already have PEP fronts just get the rear.

And. Flyboy450r your d!ck is loose if you think PEP is out dated. Get your $hit together before you post stuff.

liljhall09
11-26-2009, 09:34 AM
How much can i find a used link for ?

rollie
11-26-2009, 09:40 AM
I had FOX and i sold them to get PEP!! checking the pressure is sort of a pain and rocks would come up and hit the little gold caps, break them off and the top of the shrader(sp) valve. so when i went to add more air before the second moto all the wair would come out but then none would go back in! this happened 3 or 4 times and i went through 6 gold caps at $12 each. Don't get me wrong there great on the track but the PEP's are much less work and an amazing ride! i would never go back to fox.

Also i heard it takes a long time to get parts from fox, that might have changed now though.

Butter
11-26-2009, 10:12 AM
DO NOT get the Podium X rear. I hated mine. It was so off out of the box, and even when I had it redone, it still felt like crap. And I know a couple other racers from NY that I ride with that had the same problem. The one (set2crash67) actually went with PEPs now, and he really loves them. I like my old Fox fronts, but as rollie just pointed out, it was a pain to have to constantly mess with them. But in the rear, DEF. go with a PEP.

I'm an AXIS rider, and I know not alot of guys aren't fans on here, but to me, they've got the best ride, and the service is untouched. 5 days to have a rear completely rebuilt, and back to me.

HoleshotR15
11-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I have fox upfront on my quad, and honestly if I had the extra cash I would go w. PEP's. On of the guys that races in my district swears by his peps and has had some knarly overshot landings the shocks just soak everything up.
And like said before, it sucks dialing these things in. The body roll in the shock is a pain.

MX450
11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by liljhall09
How much can i find a used link for ?

just look around, ive seen the lsr link on here for around 100-200, and they usually dont last long, but new they are only like 255. Ive been looking on ebay on and off for about a year and have yet to find a used dc6 or baldwin link.. i would just buy new and get the lsr, the baldwin one is like 400 bux

HoleshotR15
11-26-2009, 12:16 PM
You may also want to check out the Teixeiria Tech Linkage also. I have heard alot of positive feedback about Ed's link.

motofreak2772
11-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Get a pep and replace the whole swing arm(if yours is stock) People say the stock swingarms on the 04-05 trxs are pretty bad, replacing that shouldbe a lot better. Yeah it costs more but if you save up you will a lot happier in the end.

BlaineKaiser450
11-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Dont get the podium. One of my friends blew out 2 of them and the ride isnt all that great compared to axis, PEP, Motowoz, Ohlins ect ect. And i was able to get an LSR dc6 link for $100 with 6 rides on it. So they're out there.

Mrs. SFRacing
11-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by flyboy450r
Fox is a real company. For the most part PEP is a out of date company build a over priced works shocks. I mean fox comes stock on tons of shocks for stugg, from quads, bikes, and they even build off road buggy and truck shocks. I mean I think ive said enough plus you will have your fox shock is a week or so were PEP you will wait 3-6 months is the word on the street This guy is clueless. Trust me. He wasted a whole saturday at my shop ordering a set of shocks that we built custom for him and he refuses to pay me for them. Yes they are still sitting here collecting dust. Damn man just go away and play on your dirt bike and scew some of those shops around. I cant wait to see you on your dirt bike next year. Hopefully by then I'm not as salty about you screwing me over. You're gonna wish you never came to my shop. Every post you put up is a joke. The word on the street is it takes 3-6 months to get shocks, no it just takes broke as a joke losers like you 3-6 months to pay for them...call me sometime sweetheart!!!

suzukiracer3
11-26-2009, 07:37 PM
haha yo flyboy why dont you first try and pay for your PEPs and try them out before you bash them. I will NEVER own a set of FOX shocks in my life ESP the rear. That rear worked like sh*t out of the box, I sent it back to FOX, AND told them when they can build an OK shock to mail it back so I can sell it. Went to SF got my shocks PB1 FRONTS AND 8click rear in 5 DAYS!!!!! But, I did pay for them ..... unlike you. Hands down best shock out there PEP, and best shock tuner in all aspects is SF RACING. I am sure anyone here can agree with me. Get the LSR Link, with 8click PEP rear. try SF he'll set you up best.

liljhall09
11-26-2009, 08:03 PM
ya my fronts are done by SF , so ill prob get a rear done by him

Dave400ex
11-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by suzukiracer3
haha yo flyboy why dont you first try and pay for your PEPs and try them out before you bash them. I will NEVER own a set of FOX shocks in my life ESP the rear. That rear worked like sh*t out of the box, I sent it back to FOX, AND told them when they can build an OK shock to mail it back so I can sell it. Went to SF got my shocks PB1 FRONTS AND 8click rear in 5 DAYS!!!!! But, I did pay for them ..... unlike you. Hands down best shock out there PEP, and best shock tuner in all aspects is SF RACING. I am sure anyone here can agree with me. Get the LSR Link, with 8click PEP rear. try SF he'll set you up best.

I'm not saying anything about the shocks being good or bad, but you have to remember when replying to something like this that you can't just say, "Best shocks out there hands down." I understand this thread is geared toward MX racing, but best hands down would include everything, and I don't see many PEP's at the GNCC's. Same as best shock tuner in all aspects.... come on.

suzukiracer3
11-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Agreed....that is true. Let me say...in my experience I found PEP and SF Racing to be the best I have delt with. Yes, I was referring to MX.

Lquad71
11-26-2009, 09:37 PM
i dont think you should say that sf is THE BEST out there.im sure they are good but maybe not the absolute best ever!
besides Wayne created PEP. why wouldn't you say he is the best??hmmm

11-26-2009, 09:45 PM
its all personal preference.. just because he created pep means nothing. somone else could know more about them and have different ideas and thoughts on how to set them up..

Lquad71
11-26-2009, 09:46 PM
so liljhall
i see that you are going to be going with the fox shock

or are you trying to sell your front shocks for some fox and go with pep in the rear?
just wondering because i saw your add in the for sale asking for some fox floats instead of your peps

Lquad71
11-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by honda4life818
its all personal preference.. just because he created pep means nothing. somone else could know more about them and have different ideas and thoughts on how to set them up..

i wasn't being serious because your statement is completely correct, i was just giving an example

liljhall09
11-27-2009, 06:41 AM
well after this long convo , idk what i wanna do lol

Lquad71
11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
well if you go with pep you already have experience with them and know what to expect. and im sure you wont be disappointed.

if you go with fox i dont think you will be disappointed either considering how many people use them. ive never used them but they must work good for as many people that have them.

in my opinion i dont think you will be making a bad choice either way

liljhall09
11-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Well i rode on all fox on my buddies quad but never rode on a rear pep.

Mrs. SFRacing
11-27-2009, 10:59 AM
What seems to be the main issue with the front pep that i did? i know the bike isnt balanced in travel front to rear so that is a big problem running a true zps setup with a stock rear shock.Do me a favor put your bike on a stand and take a pic of the top zps spring at full extension and post it up for me to see.

450Rrider89
11-27-2009, 03:02 PM
dude get a stock 06 swinger and buy a lsr dc6 link and a shock from sf racing!!!!! he will hook you up and make sure everything is good to go on your bike!!! he is great to work with.....just dont screw him over!!! be straight up with him!!! ive been ridding peps for him for some time now and they are the best........ for my liking any ways!!! u wont be unhappy!!

/infamous/
11-27-2009, 06:40 PM
WOW with out a doubt PEP is better. I raced one season with the Podium rear then switched to a PEP PB1....it was like night and day, the pep is so much more controllable, it doesnt want to buck you like the Podium does through whoops or breaking bumps. My setup is a JB swingarm, JB/Baldwin link....works amazing! Go PEP

Black Sheep
11-27-2009, 07:52 PM
When I built my trike I wanted the best shock out there. I chose PEP and Wayne did an amazing job considering the machine was still in the build stages. When I needed it re-valved Wayne told me to send it to SF racing since they were closer to me. Seth did a great job and had it to me FAST!!! Definitely the best shock I've had on the back of a machine.

My team will have two new riders and machines for 2010 and you can bet your arse they will have PEP shocks on them.

liljhall09
11-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Well this has been an interesting thread ! And obviously everyone has there own personal opinions, so that is why i brought this thread up. I have the ZPS fronts with rebound and compression/big bottles piggybacks , how do they compare to the PB1's ? I would love to own a set of PB1's but can't afford it yet lol. I havent had a problem with my fronts yet and think they work great compared to the peps i had on there b4 , especially rolling into the corners ! So let me know what you think about the PB1's up front

motofreak2772
11-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I heard that the pb1s are 10x better than the ones your rockin now lol. But the ones you have arent bad. I have the zps rear and wish I had pb1s for the front. I have fox now, which isnt bad either. But the pb1s seem so much better.

Lquad71
11-28-2009, 04:07 PM
i have pb1 front and zps rear.
i havent rode on the zps but what i had previously to the pb1 were nothing even close to the pb1
there is no body roll going into corner because it has like the limited mass and the zps in them.the only way i can describe it is extraordinary. there is not one flaw i have found with the pb1's.

300ex_#387
11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I have the Podium/DC-6 set up on my quad. I also have a very close friends with the dc-6/PEP set up on his. I will tell you that I have blown my podium twice. I've went through various spring rates and it still feels like crap. The PEP shock felt great on that linkage. I had no complaints at all. The rear handled better than my quad ever had.

Nac's22
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by HoleshotR15
I have fox upfront on my quad, and honestly if I had the extra cash I would go w. PEP's. On of the guys that races in my district swears by his peps and has had some knarly overshot landings the shocks just soak everything up.
And like said before, it sucks dialing these things in. The body roll in the shock is a pain.

Who are you refering to on this one bud? :D

I love my PEP's and when ever anyone else rides them they love them too. I never owned the foxs but I have ridden them and IMHO I'm not very impressed by them. But thats just me.

TDM713
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Always owned PEPs from the beginning of my racing days. I have tried about every shock on the market and they are the best hands down! My last bike had fox's when I bought it and they beat my brains out. Had them setup for me and adjusted on them all the time. Finally sold them and Hooked up with Seth at SFracing and set me up with a full set of PEP PB1's. The bike was like night and day difference!

mooseracerX
12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Like someone else said, don't leave out the possibility of a Motowoz rear. I've been reading about them and I've yet to read one negative review from someone who has rode with them.

liljhall09
12-04-2009, 09:07 PM
alright next question guys , i just purchased a JB swingarm thats for an 04-05 but it is 06 length. Wht is my best setup options here ? Can i run a link so i can run a long travel shock on this ? I do have a gt thunder link for an 04-05 i could use a standard travel pep , but was hopin i could make it work wit a long travel pep

Heres what i purchased

Lynch01ex
12-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Got the same swing arm. Your stuck with the standard travel PEP and im running the baldwin link. But thats gonna change this winter.