PDA

View Full Version : Oil Problems???

00Red400EX
01-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Ok heres the deal, When I check my oil with the motor being cold I get a low reading about half the dip stick. Then I warm the engine up and kill the motor and let the oil drain back down. When I check it now, it shows there is no oil. I wait longer try again, and no signs of oil. So I start the motor for about 3secs, Kill it and check again. Now it shows I have oil but is only showing on about 1\4 of the dip stick. i wait a little longer check it again now it shows about 1/8. I have no clue whats going on. If anyone has some ideas I would very much appriciate it!! Thanks. Oh yea now sign of the oil being burned up or anything.

--Josh

JOEX
01-17-2003, 08:03 PM
I don't know if this is the cause or not, are you reving the motor when warming? You're supposed to just let it idle till warm...when reving, the oil pump kicks in and might give a false reading.

I'm not sure how accurate this is...this is just what i've read.

Joe

00Red400EX
01-17-2003, 08:07 PM
No, I just make it idle little a little higher when I first start it because its so cold and it wont stay running until it warms up a bit.

--Josh

JOEX
01-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Oil Check Procedure...

1. Park on level ground

2. Start engine and allow to warm up 5-10 min. depending on air temp. If engine speed is raised above idle, allow it to remain at idle a few minutes before shutting down.

3. Shut off engine, let it rest for a couple of min.

4. Remove dip stick, wipe clean.

5. Insert dip stick withOUT screwing in, remove and check, it should be inbetween upper and lower marks. Adjust accordingly.

If engine isn't warmed up it will give a low reading.

Joe

00Red400EX
01-17-2003, 08:57 PM
I did exactly that and its half between the upper and lower only when the engine is cold. If the engine is warm the reading is about 1\4. And thats if I wait like 5 min for the oil to drain back down. Thanks for the replys bro!

--Josh

JOEX
01-17-2003, 09:21 PM
I'd say you're probably OK, but if you are concerned about it, change the oil and filter and check again.

If it's new oil, depending on the brand, it can be difficult see on the stick.

Or, for some reason it is getting foamed up, which I don't think is a good thing, it wont read well.

Other than that, I don't know, someone else will have to help.

Good luck, Joe

00Red400EX
01-17-2003, 09:25 PM
thanks for the help man

--Josh