PDA

View Full Version : Narrow Front Frame vs Stand Frame HAndling

quadfmx
11-25-2009, 11:38 PM
I would like to hear some opinions on handling with the narrow front frame with +3 arms compared to a std front with +2's and with the wheels offset to make the quads the same width so one was not wider than the other so it is a fair comparison.
I get the feeling it may come down to preference.

I would just like to hear some opinions and lets try not to get into a brand war with it , I was talking about same brand vs same .

But also if someone wants to comment on the preferred chassis for a hybrid, Id like to hear that as well Walsh , LAeger etc. They would be at the top of my list anyways.

jcs003
11-26-2009, 05:04 AM
i hear the narrow style frame minimizes bump steer. which is more a a necessity for motocross set-ups.

11-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Yes, bump steer is minimized with a narrow frame. But a narrow frame will also roll over more in the corners. It can be a crap shoot trying to compensate for this with your shock set up.

GOTFEAR
11-26-2009, 09:15 PM
narrow frame will not take a hard hit i mean crash i dont no this from esperance just from others

Haulinbass
11-26-2009, 09:29 PM
in thoery the farther out you move the pivot point the faster the suspension reacts(steering and dampening) the trade off it has less stability, not as much travel and will generaly give a harsher ride.
moving the pivot in increases roll as stated, slows down direction changes and generally makes things a little more forgiving and in general with the arms at the same angle you will have more travel.

jrspawn
11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
narrow frame will not take a hard hit

:confused:

I built and raced alot of both narrow and wide framed quads, and Never have i ever had a time where a narrow framed quad couldnt take a hit or even heard of such a thing. In fact i prefer a narrow frame quad over a wide frame anyday. Its all in your setup though..........

Most narrow framed arms(along with the better wide frame setups also) run both caster and camber adjustable arms. Which is very good to have, but at the same time in the wrong hands can turn bad. Too many people overlook camber and caster even more. Having this off just a little can drastically affect suspension.

Another on the better chassis is being able to run the arms forward or standard. Again this can drastically affect handling.

If anyone wants to ride a narrow frame quad, ive got plenty of them here to try, can even ride an identical wide frame setup(chassis, arms, shock setup, front end setup identical) to see the difference. I havent found anyone yet that hasnt liked my narrow framed yz walsh the most. But again, setup is critical...

Thank you
Justin

Derrick Adams
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I have no useful input on which is better, but if I had the time, money, and location of someone to do it I would LOVE to have my quad dialed in correctly. I know there is something to having suspension set correctly on any machine. Problem is, who the heck do you trust to do it?

jcs003
11-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
I have no useful input on which is better, but if I had the time, money, and location of someone to do it I would LOVE to have my quad dialed in correctly. I know there is something to having suspension set correctly on any machine. Problem is, who the heck do you trust to do it?

from my experience, riding style is important in an ideal set-up. i would start by getting the shocks dialed in and valved by a suspension shop. then i would personally tinker with other adjustments until it feels the best for me.

doing this has allowed me to run with bikes with more motor.

woodsracer144
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by jrspawn
:confused:

I built and raced alot of both narrow and wide framed quads, and Never have i ever had a time where a narrow framed quad couldnt take a hit or even heard of such a thing. In fact i prefer a narrow frame quad over a wide frame anyday. Its all in your setup though..........

Most narrow framed arms(along with the better wide frame setups also) run both caster and camber adjustable arms. Which is very good to have, but at the same time in the wrong hands can turn bad. Too many people overlook camber and caster even more. Having this off just a little can drastically affect suspension.

Another on the better chassis is being able to run the arms forward or standard. Again this can drastically affect handling.

If anyone wants to ride a narrow frame quad, ive got plenty of them here to try, can even ride an identical wide frame setup(chassis, arms, shock setup, front end setup identical) to see the difference. I havent found anyone yet that hasnt liked my narrow framed yz walsh the most. But again, setup is critical...

Thank you
Justin

justin i'll take out up on that! but your going to have to come to WI for a day of riding! :devil: haha

jcs i'm going to agree with you... riding style has to do with it also... i was as fast on my totally stock blaster with a bad head gasket as a c/b rider on a MX'ed 400ex... he was a fairly dood rider... i just came down to style of riding... and lane choice... i know this sounds kinda dumb but if i was on a race ready quad or a POS stock one... i had that thing balls to the wall!

theres alot of talk about the narrow frame set up... and dont get me wrong its a great set up but i just think too many people run it... and the "T-pin" or "ball joint" like to wear fast...