PDA

View Full Version : Got a new 07 Outlaw 525 and have jet ?'s

White Outlaw
11-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey I just bought an 07’ Outlaw 525 IRS and am new to this site. I have done quite a bit of reading the old threads on jetting. My bike is stock (no air box mods or exhaust mods). For now I don't plan to change that. I did notice that the stock jetting sucks (bogs when you jam the throttle, backfires at decel at high rpm, and I have a white plug) and so I bought a JD kit for it. I have not opened it yet (just came today). I am looking for a starting point given it's going to be stock except for the jet kit. I am at 1500 feet elevation and want a setting that is rich enough so I don't have to change jets every time the temp changes here. What would you recommend to start with for pilot, main, leak, needle, o-ring, fuel screw, etc.?

Also does 10% ethanol gas cause any problems for the KTM? Almost all the gas sold here has it blended. It's hard to find straight premium gas here.

Once I get the jetting sorted this is gonna be the best quad I have ever rode. Love the IRS and the incredible KTM power!
:D

White Outlaw
11-26-2009, 06:09 AM
I opened the kit and the instructions say to use the 165 main and the blue needle w clip on 3rd from top. It says the included leak jet is optional and the larger o-ring for more pressure. Also says to turn the fuel screw 1 1/8 turns out. It seems like I hear guys saying to use 2 turns out (not sure if that is because of air box and exhaust mods). It does not say anything about adjusting the AP timing.

sleddog66
11-26-2009, 07:23 AM
I am at 900 ft and run 10 percent ethanol. In the summer, spring or fall, (temps say about 50) I would defenatly run the red needle. 4th or 5th clip should be OK. Switch to the blue on colder temps. 160 - 165 main should be good. Small or large o-ring should be OK. I bumped up 1 size on the pilot at 1 turn out on the screw. These numbers should be safe, maybe a "tad" rich, but my machine runs very good with this!:macho

White Outlaw
11-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info sleddog! I'll probably run the blue needle for the winter here then.

I'm still wondering about the AP timing adjustment and which is might work better on the o-rings. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!:D

sleddog66
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
For the o-ring, The big one will give you a quicker shot of fuel for a shorter time. If you just hole shot and go, it should be good, but if you are constantly in and out of the throttle in tight conditions, I would say the small one would be better. Try them both as it is easy to change. Word of caution, the o-rings seem to break every now and again, so you may have to replace it once in a while.

on the Ap timing, there is a good "how to" write up on polarisriders.com

White Outlaw
11-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Well I went with the 165 main, blue needle on the 3rd slot, fuel screw 1 1/8 truns, AP timing screw at 0.100, I put in the leak jet from the JD kit and the small o-ring. I have not run it much other than down the street once but it seems better on throttle response, did not notice any extra power yet but the backfire seems worse. I looked at the plug and it looks good now. Any ideas on the backfire issue? The dealer said to bring it is because some have an issue where the header needs to have some welds ground down to get a better seal with the head. Said it was covered under waranty so I'm gonna take him up on that. He also said that may not cure the problem. I guess I may need to play with the fuel screw some more and maybe the pilot jet. I'm gonna ride it tomorrow so will see how it does.

sleddog66
11-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Yes, these are known to have leaky headers, and that will cause a backfire. Also jetting of the pilot circuit will help eliminate some popping. Try one step bigger on the pilot, maybe 1 turn out.

Just for your info, I am not running a leak jet at all, and I have zero hesitations.:D

White Outlaw
11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Well I took it out and rode for a coupple hours today. It seems smoother through the throttle with less bog and hesitation. I can't say there is a hugh power gain but there is something. It did make the backfire a little bit worse than before. Over all it just seems to run better though. A little more tinkering and it should be set.

I may just plug up the leak jet and try that too. Thanks for the info sleddog!

Evasiveone
11-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Leave the jets and needles like you have them and just try to take out the leak jet and put the stock plug back in. Mine ran like crap with the leak jet no matter what I tried. Put the stock leak plug in and what a difference.

White Outlaw
11-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I put the leak jet plug back in today and I see what you mean. It has more power now and runs strong. I don't know why they recomend the leak jet in the kit.

I have had a hard time starting it in the cold the last few days. It happened before I put the JD Jet kit in also. It acts like it's not getting enough choke or something even though the choke is on. The only way I can get it to start is by pumping the throttle a couple times to get AP to push fuel in. Even then it dies several times until it warms up. If you touch the throttle it dies and if you leave it it dies. Is there any adjustment on the choke? It has been in the upper twenties for the temp here lately.

sleddog66
11-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Yes, a richer pilot will help it stay idleing. I do always give the AP a squirt before hitting the starter button(makes a great primer)

FiveTwentyFive
12-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Evasiveone
Leave the jets and needles like you have them and just try to take out the leak jet and put the stock plug back in. Mine ran like crap with the leak jet no matter what I tried. Put the stock leak plug in and what a difference.

Evasiveone,

I also had the same thing happen to me. I could not use the JD leak jet. Put back in the stock leak jet....all was good.

Scott