PDA

View Full Version : Ok WTF!

4trax67
11-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok guys, here it goes. I read guys saying they are removing baffles from there stock exhaust, how may I ask? or are you guys removing the spark arrestor and calling it the baffle?:rolleyes: I would say it sounds like total **** if you are running them this way. Not mention pissin people off.:mad:

atv fan 28
11-25-2009, 09:15 PM
why would you want to know how if it was going to sound like crap and piss people off???

rollie
11-26-2009, 12:30 AM
i would say most everyone on this forum doesn't do that. Most are hardcore racers or serious weekend warriors.

airmobile101
11-26-2009, 06:19 AM
I think everyone is referring to the spark arrester, and yes, it does sound like crap :D

4trax67
11-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
why would you want to know how if it was going to sound like crap and piss people off???

I really don't want to know that, I would rather want to know how people are taking there baffles out of a muffler & why. Or are they taking out the spark arrestor, and calling it a baffle or thinking it's a baffle? If they are taking out just the spark arrestor, why?:rolleyes:

4trax67
11-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by rollie
i would say most everyone on this forum doesn't do that. Most are hardcore racers or serious weekend warriors.

Well...........if they are hard core racers or serious weekend warriors, then they should know the difference between a spark arrestor and a baffle. Which one are they removing? Why and how are doing it.

pitsrule
11-26-2009, 07:04 AM
On an 06 the spark arrester can be removed as a whole unit by unbolting the tip. Once out of the exhaust you will find an insert inside of the spark arrester which will also come out with two bolts. This is what most people call the baffle. Stock this piece is really small in diameter and restrictive. If you order and HRC kit it comes with a baffle thats bigger in diameter and you switch them out.

I guess if people are piecing together HRC kits by just buying the cam and rejeting they are probably trying to save money and just remove the baffle. If done right it doesn't sound horrible but I agree it doesn't sound great either. You have to put the spark arrester back in without the baffle for the descent sound. Without the spark arrestor they sound like total crap.

There are better ways to do the exhaust, but you cant fault someone or make fun of them for doing what they can to make their ride faster so they can have more fun on it. Some people just don't have the money for full exhaust along with the cam and everything else that goes with it.

4trax67
11-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by pitsrule
On an 06 the spark arrester can be removed as a whole unit by unbolting the tip. Once out of the exhaust you will find an insert inside of the spark arrester which will also come out with two bolts. This is what most people call the baffle. Stock this piece is really small in diameter and restrictive. If you order and HRC kit it comes with a baffle thats bigger in diameter and you switch them out.

I guess if people are piecing together HRC kits by just buying the cam and rejeting they are probably trying to save money and just remove the baffle. If done right it doesn't sound horrible but I agree it doesn't sound great either. You have to put the spark arrester back in without the baffle for the descent sound. Without the spark arrestor they sound like total crap.

There are better ways to do the exhaust, but you cant fault someone or make fun of them for doing what they can to make their ride faster so they can have more fun on it. Some people just don't have the money for full exhaust along with the cam and everything else that goes with it.

OK, thanks for the explanation:) I have a 05 450R, 00 400ex, 07 400ex and a 87 250x. None of them have a baffle I can remove, just a spark arrestor correct?

Butter
11-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah that's where your getting confused. The '04-'05 pipes are different than the '06+. The '06+ can be gutted to a hollow can and opened up on the end. The '04-'05 cannot. You can only take the baffle outta the tip on yours.

4trax67
11-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Butter
You can only take the baffle outta the tip on yours.

You mean spark arrestor;) Do I or should I, be concerned about re jetting, if I was to remove the spark arrestor?

Butter
11-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I knew I would twist that, lol. Sorry, but no. It will allow a little more flow, and more sound, but nothing enough to make you have to re jet.