PDA

View Full Version : new shock idea

Haulinbass
11-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Well last night sitting in bed I had an idea, Why dont companies use neodymium magnets(the super strong type) in the bottom of the shock body and on the top of the shock rod end?
Doing this would allow you to set your suspension so its soft and compliant yet it will never fully bottom because of the magnets force on each other. I realize you can get the same results with high and low speed compression dampening but this is expensive. Build the shocks with the magnets and you have a shock that works like an expensive unit but costs very little more than a basic shock.

Just wondering what You guys think, Ive allready given the idea to elka(canadians support canadians) and they sounded interested in at least testing something.

motofreak2772
11-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Ive already thought of this before. I thought it would be good but the only problem I saw was adjustability. The only way to adjust the shocks would be raising the magnet on the bottom(or lowering the top one) and changing out for different strength magnets. Yeah you will never bottom out but I dont think they would be soft. because you will need the magnets to be applying enough force to hold up you and the quad just standing still then added force for impact needing the magnets to be pretty stiff. But what they could do is use the magnets and another source of compression(oil/air) and try to make something happen.

Haulinbass
11-25-2009, 10:56 PM
thats actually what Im talking about, you use a standard oil or gas shock valved so Its super plush, the magnets only job is to stop super hard compression. basicly its a standard coilover with a magnet at the end of the body and at the rod end.
the problem is finding a magnet the right strength so It only acts for mabey the last inch to inch and a half of travel, sort of the way hydrolic bumpstops work on desert rides.

or are you talking something like magnets inside the actual shock body around the pistons and the very top of the shock body with fluid flowing inbetween acting as a buffer.

Its obviously not the most ideal setup in the world(a cheaper way to make something much better than stock), then again a single coilover without a bypass shock isnt really the best setup either.

motofreak2772
11-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah well either way its just added weight. I wanted to reduce the weight of the shocks by using only magnets or less fluid. Because adding the magnets to a regular shock would just be adding extra weight. But imagine fox shocks with magnets in them haha. You could make it so plush and then adjust the magnets for the big impacts.

motardracer
11-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Interesting idea, but will those magnets be strong enough to give 1000s of lbs force to resist bottoming? And will they be cheap enough?
This is a similar idea like the Axis Plush ride. When the shock is all the way toward bottoming, a second hydraulic cylinder kicks in to slow things down nice and gradually like an airbag in a car.....
Lets you go way more plush on the setup without bottoming.

rossfnwalker
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
SO I KINDA HAD THE SAME IDEA BUT I WANT THE SHOCK BODIES TO BE WRAPED IN COPPER WIRE AND HOOKED UP TO THE STATOR SO THE HIGHER THE RPM OF THE BIKE THE STIFFER THE SHOCK WILL GET

Scro
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by rossfnwalker
SO I KINDA HAD THE SAME IDEA BUT I WANT THE SHOCK BODIES TO BE WRAPED IN COPPER WIRE AND HOOKED UP TO THE STATOR SO THE HIGHER THE RPM OF THE BIKE THE STIFFER THE SHOCK WILL GET

:p I've heard it all now! LOL

quadbod
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I think the only way to do this would be have electromagnets so you can adjust the magnetic field to compensate for the weight of the rider and the riding style.

Farrari manufacture a setup with an electromagnet controlling iron filings in the damper body allowing for stiffer or softer ride depending on the current flowing through the electromagnet.

aDviSol2y
05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Scro
:p I've heard it all now! LOL

I think he is serious. :ermm:

rossfnwalker
06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I'M AN ENGINNER THESE WHEEL'S IN MY HEAD NEVER STOP SPINNING LOL