PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

Jakeyracer
11-25-2009, 04:00 PM
This is gunna be my first attempt to quit smoking... Why i started Ill never know. Ive always found it gross even after being a smoker i still think it is and always hear ppl say oh im quiting then the next day they are halfway through another pack.

I want to quit but I dont know how to with my girlfriend being a smoker and most of her family and all of my friends its hard to not smoke. I dont smoke that much (10 cigs a day) unless im drinking or out with friends.

My dad says and has said since the day he found out i smoke "Well just quit if you dont your just admitting to not having self control" He quit after a 2 day visit in the hospital to get his appendix out, when he got to his truck he just felt well i made it 2 days lets see how long i can go... threw his half a pack into the glove box so they were there if he ever wanted them but he knew if he smoked so much as one he couldnt quit. Some 8 to 10 months later he cleaned out his truck and found em and was like wtf and threw em away.

Thats great that it worked for him but idk if i can go cold turkey, so whats the best... and cheapest way to quit.

11-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Just don't do it.. plain and simple.

I mean no offense, but I don't see why everyone feels they have to use something to quit. Cigarette's are a mental addiction. It's easy enough to just put it down and stop. If not, then like he said, you have no self control.

11-25-2009, 04:42 PM
lol...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xRHvZazd4IM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xRHvZazd4IM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sjorge450R
11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

I mean no offense, but I don't see why everyone feels they have to use something to quit. Cigarette's are a mental addiction. It's easy enough to just put it down and stop. If not, then like he said, you have no self control.

yeah a mental addiction that messes with your brain, which turns it into a series problem.

I dont some cigarettes so i am unware of the addiction aspect of things, but if it were me, I would probably try quiting slowly first. You said you smoke 10 a day, cut it back to 7, next week 5.....so on and so forth.

<DRS>GPF
11-25-2009, 04:54 PM
i quit cold turkey 7yrs ago and the opened pack sat within my fingertips for 2 weeks with only 2 cigs taken from it.
i had decided that at 36yrs old, half of my life was gone and id smoked since my teens.

i was not going to smoke on the downhill slide.

i had always known that i owned my bad habits and can quit when i darn well pleased..
so i did..

my advice..
you need to believe you have the will to stop smoking..
try setting an official quit date, then start making rules for smoking.
my last year or so i never smoked before 9am and after 9pm.

if youre thinking "i can try" then you wont..
you need to "know you can", then do it.

i took the money i used to buy cigs($4.xx per day X 365) and bought a 400EX.. without a doubt i made the right decision.

<DRS>GPF
11-25-2009, 05:04 PM
for some that dont smoke and want a habitual comparison..

stop biting your fingernails.

i know people who have nubs for fingertips and it amazes me.. i can stand not having fingernails.
somehow it makes the tips of my finger bones ache.

250x_kyle
11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

smoke for a couple months and then try to quit. its not as easy to just put it down as you think

j_cyrus3
11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I quit smoking for about a month and started dipping... :confused:

Now I just need to stop dipping and i'll have it dicked.

I did notice, when I stopped smoking I gained about 15 pounds.

Pappy
11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I have one pack left then I AM QUITTING!

Tired of feeling like ****, tired of the expense and dealing with the damn things.

250x_kyle
11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I have one pack left then I AM QUITTING!

Tired of feeling like ****, tired of the expense and dealing with the damn things.

stay strong pappy. and dont use chew to quit. thats what i did and well im still chewin

Pappy
11-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I tried chew when I was 9...puked the whole day, havent touched it since and havent even wanted to try it again.

I have some health issues that are going to hit me over the next few years and smoking wont help me in that fight, so they gotta go.

416exfreak
11-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
yeah a mental addiction that messes with your brain, which turns it into a series problem.

I dont some cigarettes so i am unware of the addiction aspect of things, but if it were me, I would probably try quiting slowly first. You said you smoke 10 a day, cut it back to 7, next week 5.....so on and so forth.

Thats what I did..

But at a slower rate..

Im a real arsehole when im having a nicotine fit..:ermm:

suck my pipe
11-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I quit cold turkey by saving the money, I would take the money I would have spent on a pack of cigarettes and put it on my table every day. To pick it up feel it and realize you where going to light it on fire is a wake up call. You have to want to quit, but this is the extra incentive that made it work for me. I treated my self to a nice dinner with my fiance with the money I had saved up in the two weeks it took me to finally feel like I could say I was no longer a smoker. I feel great, I don't smell like smoke, I can taste food, I can smell things and i'm a little richer. Good Luck

byrdman37876
11-25-2009, 07:26 PM
First things first. U have to WANT to quit, if u don't develop that attitude u never will.

Jakeyracer
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I chewed camel snus (anything else is just nasty) and it couldn't take the edge off. people who don't smoke don't realize it is like a leech and it attaches to things without you knowing like if I eat and I'm not full but know I've had enough to eat I smoke and I'm like magicly saticfied(sp) or eat to much(smoke) get pissed off(smoke) drive a car(smoke) poop(smoke) sex(smoke) bored(smoke)12oz curl(ya got it yet?)!

I don't get to bad bout nic fits but it's harder to calm down or relax.

but I am going to do it starting Saturday only 3 a day, I've done it before and it sucks but it will make each one more enjoyable and at the same time pull smoking away from other daily tasks!

mcarlson1
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
CHANTIX!!! Smoked for 8 years over a pack a day for 6 and my budy told me about it. Its a prescription and you can smoke on it your first week and when your done with it you have no craving what so ever and when people smoke around me its like i never smoked at all. Just go to your Dr and tell them you want Chantix!
Hopes this helps you like it helped me!

Thanks,
Mike

ATV Chic
11-28-2009, 07:08 PM
good luck u guys! i quit 4 years ago, after smoking a pack and a half a day for 11 years. The gum worked for me. after nine days i was done! :cool: