PDA

View Full Version : How to set sag on ZPS shock

tprender
01-17-2003, 06:07 PM
I just got my shock from PEP the other day and after putting it on I am having trouble setting the sag. The directions that came with the shock don't help much. So how or what is the correct way to set the sag on my rear ZPS shock?

James70214
01-17-2003, 06:28 PM
I am not sure if you are asking how much sag should you have or how do you get more or less sag.

But for how much sag, just adjust it to where you like the ride height. There is no set amount of sag. Mine sags about 3-5 inches.

To adjust the sag put your front end on a stand. There is a metal collar on top of the silver spring. Push that down with your hand and use a pair of needle nose pliers or something similiar and adjust the clip up if you want more sag or lower the clip for less sag.

Make sure you do the same amount on both sides.

Let em know if you have any ???s

James

tprender
01-17-2003, 06:33 PM
What I wanted was the rear not the front shocks. It said that I am suppose to have about 3 in of sag. in the rear. I know how to set sag on a reg rear shock, but the ZPS seems to be different.

What I want to know is how is the 3 in measured.

cdalejef
01-17-2003, 06:46 PM
You adjust it the same way as a stock shock....with the preload ring. A good place to measure is from the axle to one of the grab bar bolts.

tprender
01-17-2003, 06:52 PM
I guess that I need to be more clear on what I am asking help on. To get the measure the 3 in of sag, do I let the rear end settle and then sit on the quad and measure. Or, lift the rear end up and measure and let it settle and then measure. Or, lift it up and measure and then get on the quad and mesaure it resting point with me on it. Which one of these is the correct way or is they another way? I have tried all 3 and the 1st gets it looking about right.

d-14 rider 27
01-17-2003, 09:47 PM
what i usually do is push the quad down, and let it come back up to rest, measure, then lift the quad and top out the shock, and measure

01-17-2003, 10:15 PM
SAG?

Free sag= diff from fully extended to compressed from machine weight.

Race sag= diff from fully extened to compressed with rider.
(I could have these reversed :) )

What I have learned is that this is not the "real important" measurement on a quad like it is on a bike. Sure you still want to have about 1/3 travel as free sag but you want to have that plus the proper ride heights preloads and weight bias etc.

I think what your looking for is the amount with rider but cant be sure. But like i said above you may want to make sure your machine is close to level from front to rear.

This is confusing stuff but there is a very good ongoing thread on here called "suspension 101" and though its getting complicated it seems to be one of the best so far.

I had tried to set this thing up similair to a bike and it was somewhat helpful but deff not right.

Custom axis has some decent info on this stuff on their site under the owners manual pdf.

hondaracer31
01-17-2003, 11:12 PM
You can't actually adjust the "sag" on ZPS shocks. If PEP set them up correctly the sag will be close. With ZPS you need to measure from the axle to a point on the frame directly above the axle with just the wieght of the quad on the ground. Then with the rider sitting on the quad in the riding position measure from the same two points. The differance is the sag.
On a "normal" shock (ie. one with pre-load) you would adjust the sag by giving the spring more or less preload. This is not possible on a ZPS shock.
The idea behind ZPS is that you can set the ride height lower to improve handling while still having all of the travel to hit bumps and jumps. I have my ZPS set so that I have about 6 inches of sag from topped out the where the weight of just the quad is, then another 3 inches with the rider. This handles and jumps VERY well.
I hope this helps...

QuadRacer041
01-18-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
You can't actually adjust the "sag" on ZPS shocks. If PEP set them up correctly the sag will be close. With ZPS you need to measure from the axle to a point on the frame directly above the axle with just the wieght of the quad on the ground. Then with the rider sitting on the quad in the riding position measure from the same two points. The differance is the sag.
On a "normal" shock (ie. one with pre-load) you would adjust the sag by giving the spring more or less preload. This is not possible on a ZPS shock.
The idea behind ZPS is that you can set the ride height lower to improve handling while still having all of the travel to hit bumps and jumps. I have my ZPS set so that I have about 6 inches of sag from topped out the where the weight of just the quad is, then another 3 inches with the rider. This handles and jumps VERY well.
I hope this helps...

lenny is correct, sag is not a specific amount like 3" or 4" its a protion of your total travel, like he around a 1/3 usually.
a general rule of thumb from what my shock buold told me is for mx you want your bike to be about 6.5-7.5" off the ground, that is measured from the ground to your bottom frame tube at the foot peg and the ground to your bottom frame tube right were the frame starts to curve up right before your bottom rear a arm mount.for xc you want the frame to be about 7.5-9" off the ground.
when these mesurements are talkin to should be sitting on the bike and leanin forward on your tank.