PDA

View Full Version : doesnt want to start when hot

jak1389
11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
hey guy iv got an 06 er. i never really had problems with it starting until i put on my full hmf. the jetting on it is pretty close. it starts right up when cold but when its hot its a ***** and a half. i just did my valves today and same gig. it also didnt happen right away when i put on the pipe. just recently. so now im in a boggle and cant quite figure out the deal. itll crank and crank and crank then eventually start up most of the time but by the end of the day battery is done. any ideas or suggestions on my issue?

Scro
11-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Although I've never done it, I think that adding a hotstart to the carb will help alot. The 04/05 actually come with a hotstart for easier cranking in the same situation you're describing. They are the same way - you can kick and kick and kick when they are hot, and eventually it will fire. CT Racing or Baldwin can add the hotstart for about $75.

jak1389
11-26-2009, 09:26 AM
has anyone tried this on an er? any success?

flyboy450r
11-27-2009, 05:50 AM
My 08 does the same thing cost me a lot of races. I know the valves are good and everyone I talk to tells me it the jets. I was told pull back on my hotstart lever and see if it bogs down. And if so it think but a smaller pilot in. Id have to check into it again. It would help if I could ever get home. I hope that helps I know yours is a ER. So start with jets and if that doesnt work but a second battery in or kick start conversion.

Scro
11-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by flyboy450r
My 08 does the same thing cost me a lot of races. I know the valves are good and everyone I talk to tells me it the jets. I was told pull back on my hotstart lever and see if it bogs down. And if so it think but a smaller pilot in. Id have to check into it again. It would help if I could ever get home. I hope that helps I know yours is a ER. So start with jets and if that doesnt work but a second battery in or kick start conversion.

The second battery and kicker conversion doesn't work. The problem is the hot air being pulled into the motor causes a rich condition, when it's hot. The hotstart lets cool air into the carb causing a temporary lean condition for starting.

The second battery helps a little, but doesn't cure the problem. With a kicker without hotstart, you might as well just sit there and let it cool off. You'll will be kicking for a while.

11-27-2009, 10:39 AM
yea having a hotstart does help alot. i removed mine, plugged the hole with slilicone and cut the hotstart lever off the clutch lever.. now its a pain to get started when its hot.

lonnie1977
11-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Had the same problem before. First try going in with the air/fuel screw. if that doesnt help and you get the screw almost all the way in go down one size on the pilot jet. Advice from Mike at little Sahara power sports who runs the Dyno there. Has worked on every bike since then.

warr72
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Did you adjust your decomp. If you did then fatten your leak jet or get an adjustable one like i did and it'll fire right up no matter how hot or cold it is. I went with the R&D Power Pump and it ended the bog and hard starting. :D

250rrr
12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
whats the power pump ? how easy to install ?
thanks,mike

quadmotocross
12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
My guess is decompression is out of spec. That happened on my 07 e-start. And now on my 05.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-11-2009, 09:18 AM
If you are looking at doing the hot start these guys do a really good job.
http://www.glanninnovations.com/hotstart.html

Scro
12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
That price is really steep. I've quoted other places for less than half that, and the cable was included.

leev26
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I added the hot start to my 2007 450ER and all I can say is WOW. I tried everything mentioned previously but the hot start definitely took care of it. There is a great thread on 450r.org that has the drawing of were the holes need to be, but it is pretty precise. I used the mill at work with an angular vise to get the holes dead on, wouldn't even think about attempting it by hand.

Anyway, I would highly recommend this mod. I was sick and tired of having to crank my bike over for at least a minute or more when it stalled during a race, now it will start back up in 5-10 seconds max. Not sure what Glann Innovations charges but he does do excellent work and is great to deal with. He has some really unique upgrades for the 450s.

Here is the link:http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=69463&hl=Hot%20start&st=30

jak1389
12-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by leev26
I added the hot start to my 2007 450ER and all I can say is WOW. I tried everything mentioned previously but the hot start definitely took care of it. There is a great thread on 450r.org that has the drawing of were the holes need to be, but it is pretty precise. I used the mill at work with an angular vise to get the holes dead on, wouldn't even think about attempting it by hand.

Anyway, I would highly recommend this mod. I was sick and tired of having to crank my bike over for at least a minute or more when it stalled during a race, now it will start back up in 5-10 seconds max. Not sure what Glann Innovations charges but he does do excellent work and is great to deal with. He has some really unique upgrades for the 450s.

Here is the link:http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=69463&hl=Hot%20start&st=30

good to know! i may have to try it on my er so im glad you said youve done it. just sounded really weird to me