PDA

View Full Version : crankcase oil and clutch issues

ukweasel
11-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I am working on a friends blaster. It has been sitting for a while so i cleaned the carb. Now it starts great and revs strong in neutral, but when i try to get on it it acts like its slipping or the clutch isn't fully disengaging. one day when i was not around one of my other friends put lucas 10 40 atv oil in the crankcase. Im not sure how much he put in there, but im thinking it may have been too much because now it comes out of the breather tube from behind the cylinder and it looks almost a silver color. My question is what is the best crankcase oil to use for this and how much does it take? I know there is a window on the side, but i can't really see it very well. I've been told that sometimes using the wrong oil can cause the clutch to slip. Does it sound like I will more than likely need to buy a clutch kit or could the correct oil potentially clear up this issue? I started by replacing the clutch cable with one I already had and it acts the same. I was also wondering if the crank oil turning silvery is normal? I hope this is not a sign of a leaky crankshaft seal. The motor smokes a little bit (like all 2 strokes) but nothing too crazy. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

headache
11-26-2009, 06:24 PM
just drain all that oil out and put in Type F transmission fluid. Put in 3/4 of a quart. a quart is 950ml and you need only 650ml in the trans. Just look at the side of the trans fluid jug it has the amounts on it. The silvery stuff is just normal wear from the clutch plates. Make sure that your clutch cable is adjusted properly. If this don't fix it then the clutch is wore out or needs adjusted inside the case at the pressure plate...