PDA

View Full Version : Calling out to SRH, how did you do the rear handbrake mod?

yophilly
11-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I saw on your LT80 pics that you put a rear handbrake on your bike.
My kids are just starting out learning on my LT80 and I would like to have a hand-operated rear brake for safety's sake. Plus for myself for fooling around and stunting (who am I kidding).
I have an extra lever assembly I could mount on the bars, so that's the easy part; but what cable did you use? Also what type of bracket to mount it?
I can weld so mounting a tab or something wouldn't be a big deal, just looking for a short-cut on the parts search. Thanks, YO

SRH
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
sorry i didnt respond! i havent been on lately in this forum

anyway it was pretty simple

you will need:

a clutch lever and perch ( i used a brake handle for the left side for a 1984 atc 185/200 from parts unlimited becaue it has a parking brake feature)

rear hand brake cable from a 1984 atc 185 or 200 s

stock cable holder that bolts to the frame

stock wing nuts and what not on rear brake arm

how:

take off old rear brake cable

i removed all my plaastics and routed the cable, hooked up the handle

then you need to take 1 of the cable holders off your old cable, you can spread it open by wedgeing a flat screwdriver in there and prying it open, put it on the new cable you can see where it needs to go, take a pair of pliers and close it back up

you wont be able to get both bolts back in, you need to keep it to the rear of the quad and you only catch 1 bolt, tighten it up and adjust your brakes your good to go, ill grabd you some pics but once you have the parts its self explanatory

yophilly
12-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for replying, I didn't want to be a pita, but it sounds like a pretty cool mod. If I understand correctly, you eliminated the foot-operated rear brake. I was planning on setting it up to have both. I think I can use the pivot lever off a Honda foreman 'cause it has two places for cable barrels. I think an ATC 250sx has a double cable as well.

You gave me the info I needed with the ATC 185 / 200 cable, thanks alot.

YO

SRH
12-15-2009, 10:33 PM
yeah a lt 185 /125 has 2 cables too, so do most of the atvs and atcs with drum rear brake, i think the lt 185 and 125 has the same side shaft as the lt 80

i cant use the foot pedal thats why i didnt bother trying to get both working