PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Blaster Help/Suggestions Needed...

jef_46614
11-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Hello, I'm new here.

I recently bought a Blaster and really like it. I have been noticing more and more little things that haven't been done properly to it and I'm fixing it as I go. First there were a few bolts missing here and there. New clutch cable. New rear stubby brake cable (rear breaks work great now).

The next thing I need to do, and tell me if I'm wrong, is re-jet it. There is a pretty new looking uni-filter on and it has the stock exhaust manifold and the back half of the exhaust is FMF. I plan on making the exhaust right when I can afford to, but for now I want to jet the carb so that it runs better. It seems sluggish in the mid to upper range and I'm pretty sure it's due to not getting enough gas because of the unifilter and the less than stock restrictive exhaust. I took the carb apart and the main jet is a 230. Now this is where I need suggestions and your knowledge. I think, from what I've read around different places on the web, that I should probably go up to a 260 or a 270 now? I'm also putting in new vito's reeds at the same time.

Then my other ordeal is the bike is eating up gear oil. This bothers me because I'm not sure where it's going. It drips a little oil out of the side gasket, but more is coming out that is dripping, so I'm guessing, and again, please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think it could simply be the piston rings are worn out and it's burning the oil. If so, and if what I'm guessing is true that the head and cylinder have never been taken off, can I just use a honing tool and replace the rings with the stock size rings or do you suggest having the cylinder bored out at a shop? And then if it is bored out, do I have to buy a new piston to fit the bore size? This is where I get confused.

I hope my questions made sense and I hope you can help!

Thanks,
Joel

headache
11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
You don't really need to rejet at this time. Once you get an fmf headpipe for the exhaust then i'd recommend about a 260 to 270 main jet. The vitos reeds are good, and will pep your quad up. Make sure that your pilot screw is turned out around 2 turns on your carb. I also recommend drilling holes in your airbox lid or removing it, if you don't ride in alot of mud. As for your trans fluid, it sounds like its burning it in the motor which means your right side crank seal is wore, which sucks the fluid into the motor. How much does the quad smoke? If it smokes bad when you fill it up with transmission oil, then its definetly burning it...

jef_46614
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
What does it take to replace the right side crank seal? And if I'm replacing that what else should be done at the same time? Other seals?

Oh and what side of the carb is the pilot screw?

I sort of need a manual, don't I? haha

Thanks

headache
11-26-2009, 06:20 PM
the screw is on the left side of the carb just above the bowl. cant miss it... Yes get a manual! the crank seal won't be too hard, but will take a little time as you have to pull the clutch cover off, take off the gears that hold the counterbalancer and clutch basket. then pry the seal out. Honestly you can ride it with the seal leaking, i have a friend that rode his at least a year with it burning trans oil. He would just fill it up then go ride, when it quit smoking like a bomb, he'd pour in a little more fluid lol. But you risk burning up your clutch and or trans bearings and gears.

jef_46614
11-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the info!

I'll probably just run it like your buddy did until I get the time and motivation to rebuild the engine with a new crank, piston bearings and all new seals. I've seen a complete rebuild kit on ebay by Wiseco for about 150, minus the piston and rings.

But first things first..... I'm getting the manual!

Thanks again.