PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Crank

doin
11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
DID A TOTAL REBUILD ON MY 05 450R ($1800 ON PARTS) THE CRAPY HOT ROD CRANK LASTED 40hrs SENT SHAVINGS THROUGH THE MOTOR, SCORING EVERY THING.NOW I HAVE TO START OVER AGAIN.... JUST WANT EVERYONE TO NO NOT TO GET A HOT ROD CRANK.

eastside 400
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
what actually went on the crank, big end bearing or a main bearing? this isnt a problem with hotrods, any honda replacement crank will fail and 40hrs isnt that bad IMO, dont go bashing companies for these problems, obviously it wasnt a manufacturing defect or it wouldnt of lasted near 40hrs

smw450r
11-24-2009, 08:41 PM
i have to agree with doin it happened to me to with the hotrods crank i had about 9 tanks of gas, thats why they stoped making them they had to redesign them but i also agree with eastside it was based on the honda oem design thats where the problem started but they both redesigned them and if i was you doin i would call hotrods they may help you with a new crank,but i know next time i'm sending mine off to crankworks to get balanced

Balaz_73*00
11-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Same thing just happened to me, put a new old design hot rods crank in about 2 months ago n just let go on Sunday, I'd say no more than 30 hrs. This is the second crank that went on me this season. WTF

Ruf Racing
11-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by smw450r
i have to agree with doin it happened to me to with the hotrods crank i had about 9 tanks of gas, thats why they stoped making them they had to redesign them but i also agree with eastside it was based on the honda oem design thats where the problem started but they both redesigned them and if i was you doin i would call hotrods they may help you with a new crank,but i know next time i'm sending mine off to crankworks to get balanced

Don't blame the HR cranks. They are what they are. A cheap alternative but good crank to maybe a very expensive Falicon. I ran a stroker HR for a year, very (HARD). I was very satisfied with the results. By the way, mine has also balanced by Crankworks.

doin
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
i ran my stock crank for almost 4 yrs verry verry hard,never had any problems( bike started smoking)thats why the rebuild.the stock crank was just getting a little bit of play in the rod. so thats why i put the hot rod in it .i would say 15-20 out of the 40hrs were break in.and the small and big end were ready to let go so bad that the new je piston hit on my valves.talked to hot rod thought they would go good for it but got no were they actulay hung up in my ear (wish i lived closer to the company james in custamer service would of had that crank shoved up his asssss)probaly going to put a stock crank back in .not to sure if im going to go with a big bore kit or get my cylinder re coated and buy a piston to fit any one have any suggestions thx.

joedirt
11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
You get what you pay for. Buy OEM. Falicon cranks have there problems. Just think if you bought a Falicon and it let go That would be a kick in the nuts. Get a OEM and put a Carrillo rod on it if you want someting better

bracey
11-25-2009, 01:47 PM
i have had a falicon crank fail and i know a few people with hot rods that have lasted longer than mine so i think its the luck of the draw it can go either way

Ruf Racing
11-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by bracey
i have had a falicon crank fail and i know a few people with hot rods that have lasted longer than mine so i think its the luck of the draw it can go either way

My point exactly! Guys remember, if you leave this bikes stock they will be good to you for along time. I have had stock and highly modified engines. Nothing makes your blood flow like the arm pulling a built up 450R engine makes. Personally, the money and the work to keep my 501 running, is well worth all the risk! :macho

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

fastredrider44
11-26-2009, 03:28 PM
I have probably 20 races and no telling how many practice days I have on my hotrods crank. I change the oil often, and it seem s to be doing well.

wckedclownz69
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
well hr and honda took all there cranks back off the shelves and made new ones with stronger pins... just got my new one last friday...

ds268
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm definately putting my HR crank through some paces but I also had mine balanced by CW. Its got a few duning weekends and a couple dozen dyno pulls.