PDA

View Full Version : carb leaking

honda400ex2003
11-24-2009, 06:08 PM
So my 450 carb is leaking out the bottom of the bowl, should i take the bowl off and get a new one or can i fix it? I tried both of the pins that go in the bottom from my 400 carb and the 450 carb, and with it turned in it stops for a sec then starts leaking again. I also have to get the plunger for the hotstart and i should be set i guess. How do you guys run the cable too? I ran mine just like the old one but i have a click in the cable at the top where it mounts to the bar. is this normal on the mount or no? thanks steve

Strokin'400
11-24-2009, 07:00 PM
where exactly is this leak? Picture maybe lol be easier to tell what area of the carb. I haven't got my 450r carb on yet waiting for my adapter to get here.The way you describe it it sounds like it's leaking where the accelerator pump shaft comes into the side of the carb? Maybe your diaphragm in the pump is tore or ripped letting fuel leak when it's pressurized? Otherwise only other thing I can think of is the float bowl o ring Let me know what you find out. As for clicking??? Inspect your throttle assembly maybe frayed cable, or spring broke?

honda400ex2003
11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
on the 450 carb though where the hose goes down by the swinger. i used both plugs i had and it still leaked out the bottom. I am at a loss, i will probably end up getting a new bowl too with my plunger. steve

slightlybent47
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
I think it's just a vent tube and it should just hang down by the swing arm. I don't even have a tube on mine, just the nipple sticking out. The hot start switch just drops in and screws on. The little plunger goes in first then a spring and the cap. As for the adaptor I just used a piece of 2” rubber hose and a few clamps.

http://i50.tinypic.com/n32kyh.jpg

slightlybent47
11-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Is the gas comeing out of the tube?

honda400ex2003
11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
yeah it is, i have the tube off but yeah it is coming out of the tube. I bought a bowl and the plunger stuff just a bit ago from service honda. I guess it was a good deal. hopefully i get it on friday so i can get it done before i go back. steve

slightlybent47
11-24-2009, 09:03 PM
I unscrewed that screw that is on the side of the bottom of the bowl and gas came out as soon as I turned it about a half turn. I thought it may be a drain screw for the bowl so I just put it back and have had no problems with it. Not to sure what it is for.

slightlybent47
11-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Fuel dose come out of that tube when I stand it up on the grab bar to wash it. Maybe that’s the over flow tube for the float. And your float is stuck. Or wait till you get it mounted up where it’s level and maybe it wont leak then.

Pipeless416
11-24-2009, 11:24 PM
steve- make sure your float needle and needle seat are both clean. i had a MAJOR leaking problem down at little sahara 2 years ago. gas just poured out of the overflow hose (where you say yours is leaking) and i couldn't figure out the problem for a few days. i finally realized that there was debris in the gas inlet and kept the float needle from seating.. hence the constant flow of gas.

gt400ex
11-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Where hes talking about is the float bowl drain, if you cant get it to stop leaking then the bowl is probably messed up. might have had something in there when the last person had it and tightened it down and cracked the bowl? My cable is run just like stock, by clicking do you mean you can move the outer cover of the cable?

honda400ex2003
11-25-2009, 11:09 AM
well lets see, it is level right now and still leaks out till i turn it off. i havent looked at it to see if it is cracked or not since i havent been out to the garage anymore since last night. i will probably take it off one more time and give it a good cleaning to make sure it is good to go for tuning hopefully this weekend. The cable is ran all stock way but it is on the left side of the stem and comes up instead of going on the right side like the old one. I will check it out more today, it may be twisted inside there so i will have to look it some more. Can i use the 400 throttle and take it apart or do i have use the 450 one. it doesnt look like they come apart too easy but i would like to use the 400 one instead. steve

gt400ex
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Yea give it a good cleaning and see what happens. Yes you have to use the 450 cable, the thumb part is the same but carb side is different.

slightlybent47
11-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by gt400ex
Yea give it a good cleaning and see what happens. Yes you have to use the 450 cable, the thumb part is the same but carb side is different.

Yep thats right on the cable I ran mine just like the old one. Take the three screws out of the top of the throttle and you can get to it from there.

honda400ex2003
11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
i was talking about the top part of the throttle. it didnt seem like it unhooked but i did not unbolt the lever to see if there was actually a slot in it. I have it all on my machine and hooked up. I just am waiting for the parts or i would have it tuned and running already. lol. steve

slightlybent47
11-25-2009, 07:14 PM
After you get the throttle cover off there will be a lever inside. I had to take the nut off the lever before I could get the cable threw it. The little spring in there can go in the trash I never use it. Be careful when you take that nut off cuz the lever will slide out the bottom.

slightlybent47
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Steve
Where is the air fuel screw on the 450 carb. I didn’t look at mine before I put it on. I just mounted mine up and started ridding it. It seems like it Boggs on the low end a bit and I’m wondering if it will help to adjust the a/f mix and see if it changes.
Once the rpm gets up it runs strong.

Thanks

honda400ex2003
11-26-2009, 12:10 AM
it is on the bottom of the carb, i believe on the front side of it. I will check in the morning though. steve

honda400ex2003
11-26-2009, 12:12 AM
this may be it, i am not real sure though. steve

gt400ex
11-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Yea the A/F screw is up front, I think you got the right part circled there Steve. Its a pain to get at with the carb on the engine but is possible. They make a tool to help or you can get I think the call it a flex jet? Then you can adjust the A/F like you can with your idle screw.

slightlybent47
11-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Ok is it a Philips head or flat head?

Thanks

gt400ex
11-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Flat head

slightlybent47
11-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Ok thanks I’ll check mine this weekend and see where it is.