PDA

View Full Version : hello...need some advice

RustyStunts
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
hello everyone i need some advice...so ive been riding quads for a long time now and i always had a z400 or a 400ex...this past month a indoor race track opened right down the street for me..so these past few weeks ive been going and riding the track...so i noticed that all the quads there were 450s and i was the only one on a 07 400ex..out of all the turns i had trouble clearing some doubles due to lack of power...now my brother has a 05 honda 450r and wants to trade me for my 07 400ex cause he dont have button start and reverse and all he does is trail ride...so do u guyz think i should trade quads or just get diffderent gearing on mine..my 400ex has a pipe and nurf bars but my bros is all stock....what should i do..both r great running quads..but his is 05 and mine a 07..plus my frame is bent frame slamming it into the wall but it drives great and my bro knows that...so what do u guyz think i should do...heres a pic of my quad..my brothers is just all black and bone stock

Tommy Warren
11-24-2009, 04:58 PM
its sounds to me like you guys have your quads backwards if you like the track and he likes the trails. I would deffinatly trade. 450r is a way better bike anyways and the 05 model is worth the most because of the kicker...and tranny just watch out for the crank bearing to go

RustyStunts
11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
its sounds to me like you guys have your quads backwards if you like the track and he likes the trails. I would deffinatly trade. 450r is a way better bike anyways and the 05 model is worth the most because of the kicker...and tranny just watch out for the crank bearing to go

yea well we always just rode trails but i just got into racing and brought up the trade and he was all for it...and yes i heard the crank bearing goes out alot on those and i dont wanna deal with that...but then again my 400ex has a bent frame and his doesnt...i dunno i do like the reverse and electric start....how much does it cost to replace the crank bearing if it goes out?

Tommy Warren
11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure but its a lot cheaper to do it before it goes bad rather than possibly ruining your crank, cases, and maybe piston and cylinder.

Ichoptop
11-25-2009, 07:32 AM
the crank problem is more of an 04 thing then an 05. I think the whole thing has been blown way out of porportion. I have had 2 05s in the last 5 years. Never had a motor problem with either of them. I dont race but do a ton of trails in the Rocky Mountains and i'm not known to treat them well on the trail. Good habits for maintenance and an 05 450r will treat you well.

blacknblue#2
11-25-2009, 11:27 AM
i would trade in a heartbeat if i were you. you can keep a lookout on the crank without ever tearing it apart. Theres a big timing plug on the waterpump side of the engine. Pull that out. Stick an allenwrench in the bolt (you will see it once you pull the timing plug) and try to wiggle that bolt to see if you have any play. If you have play then its time to update your crank. Ive owned 5 04/05 450Rs and everyone of them have went out. heck i even threw a crank on my 07. but i do hard abusive MX riding. Some ppl never have trouble out of cranks. Like i said. Do the trade. Buy ya some 18/20 inch tires, a set of nerf bars....keep a check on your crank bearing and ride the heck out of it lol.