PDA

View Full Version : 400ex raceing?

87HONDATRX250X
11-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi every one not sure were to put this but seeing i want to get a 400ex thought this must be a good place. Any ways i want to get into racing this season and was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers or tips or any info really like quad set up and what not. Im not sure what class i should start in seeing this would be my first organized race. I got a youtube channel if you want to see how i ride. youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/DWTCREW) Thanks in advance.

m36indiana
11-24-2009, 03:28 PM
you can leave the motor pretty much stock, i would start with suspension, nerf bars, tether switch, tires. you can start racing in the 1st year class.

87HONDATRX250X
11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by m36indiana
you can leave the motor pretty much stock, i would start with suspension, nerf bars, tether switch, tires. you can start racing in the 1st year class.

Yeah i was kind of thinking the same for set up. Can you explain a bit more what 1st year class is? Im a newbie to all this.

m36indiana
11-24-2009, 03:31 PM
1ST year class is for someone with no racing experience

slightlybent47
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Try the 400ex or 450r threed that may help you some.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418286

87HONDATRX250X
11-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Try the 400ex or 450r threed that may help you some.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418286

Haha thanks but im the one who posted that thread.

slightlybent47
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
U sho nuf is!!!!!!!!!!

87HONDATRX250X
11-24-2009, 06:59 PM
U sho nuf is!!!!!!!!!!

?

liex21
11-26-2009, 11:05 AM
if your planning on racing i would say just jump up to the 450 because in the end it will pay off.If you get a 400 and then invest all the money of into the suspensions and everything you will be happy but after a season or two your going to want something with more power.The 450 is going to have that power and you can find them for pretty good prices and once you get everything for the 450 youll be set. I speak from experience i had a stock 400 wanted to start mx and bought almost everything i could find for my quad and i love it but i wish i invested into a 450 and had a decked out 450 now.

KISSmyACE
11-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by liex21
if your planning on racing i would say just jump up to the 450 because in the end it will pay off.If you get a 400 and then invest all the money of into the suspensions and everything you will be happy but after a season or two your going to want something with more power.The 450 is going to have that power and you can find them for pretty good prices and once you get everything for the 450 youll be set. I speak from experience i had a stock 400 wanted to start mx and bought almost everything i could find for my quad and i love it but i wish i invested into a 450 and had a decked out 450 now.

I completely agree. I bought my 400, then started riding MX and have sunk a lot of money into setting it up, where a 450 starts out as a better bike when it's stock. You can race a 400ex, some people do, but probably not ideal. My somewhat built 400ex doesnt compare to the fully built 450s that I'm up against.

87HONDATRX250X
11-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by liex21

That was my thinking to at first. I thought it over and discovered im tight on money i dont know if ill even race for sure next year. I wont buy a stock 400ex i can buy one race ready for a decent price. But yeah your right in the end it would be better to get a 450 but i just dont got the money to maintain it. If i get serious about racing couple $$$ more and i can get a 450.

slightlybent47
11-26-2009, 01:12 PM
You have a budget problem = ex
You have only been ridding for one year = ex
You have never raced = ex
Your only 15 = ex
Tons of good used parts = ex
Easy maintenance = ex

I think we have a winer!!!!

I still think the ex is what you need to go with. You are young and have lots of racing years left to work all that out.

Get on an ex and try the racing out for one season and see how you do. If you become good enough may be someone will see you and sponsor you and put you on a 450.

You have only been ridding for a year and your only 15 years old. You have plenty of time to move up later.
You don't have the skills or the experience yet to move from a 300 ex to 450 at this time. You will someday end up on the 450 but giving the circumstances you are in the ex is the way to go.

87HONDATRX250X
11-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I still think the ex is what you need to go with. You are young and have lots of racing years left to work all that out.

Get on an ex and try the racing out for one season and see how you do. If you become good enough may be someone will see you and sponsor you and put you on a 450.

You have only been ridding for a year and your only 15 years old. You have plenty of time to move up later.
You don't have the skills or the experience yet to move from a 300 ex to 450 at this time. You will someday end up on the 450 but giving the circumstances you are in the ex is the way to go.

I was thinking the same. I have a few 400exs im looking at but not sure what to pick. Each one is quiet a bit differnt from 1999-2005.

slightlybent47
11-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Just take your time and look at as many of them as you can before you decide.
You may want to stay away from those supper built motors and get one with a milder build or no build on it at all. When someone maxes out the build to try to get more power and have reliability problems so they want to sell the ex and move up to the 450.

You are not ready for the 450 so a mildly built one will do real good and wont break down on you. You are trying to get something reliable and not a money pit.
If it has a good suspension on it that will be a plus for sure, look for one with a good suspension and light or no motor mods. You can have the motor done later and you can control what’s done to it.

87HONDATRX250X
11-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Just take your time and look at as many of them as you can before you decide.
You may want to stay away from those supper built motors and get one with a milder build or no build on it at all. When someone maxes out the build to try to get more power and have reliability problems so they want to sell the ex and move up to the 450.

You are not ready for the 450 so a mildly built one will do real good and wont break down on you. You are trying to get something reliable and not a money pit.
If it has a good suspension on it that will be a plus for sure, look for one with a good suspension and light or no motor mods. You can have the motor done later and you can control what’s done to it.

What about one with a 440 in it. I like stock motor with a few little things but not real sure about the 440s. Problem is it might be the only real decent race quad for the price right now. There is a nice 05 race ready but its also 1g more.

11-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Take slightybent's idea he is totally correct. My first bike was a YZ85 when I was 9 and yes it was way to powerful and big for me, but being as my dad was one of those people with 8 quads and 6 dirtbikes and all about living life the fun way and didnt give a F*** (since he owned a huge company we rode all the time since he didnt have to go to work). Long story short my dad died when i was in 6th grade a few years later, and i havent rode until this year when i bought my 400ex. What im basically trying to say is you cant go wrong with one. If you want more power theyre are many up-grades that suit your needs such as a 440 kit. Jumping to to big of a bike like i did with my yz85 when i was 9 and way to inexperienced only broguht more problems and less fun.

slightlybent47
11-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Don’t be in too big of a hurry and just buy the first one you see. Look around and take your time. That 440 might be a good bike but look it over real good. Put your leg up agents the front tire and move the handle bars to see if the front ball joints are tight. Stand on the pegs and rock it back and forth to the side and see if there is any slack in the swing arm. When you go to look at it first thing you do is feel the motor and see if it is warm. That may mean that it won’t start cold so they warmed it up before you got there so it would start for you. Check the oil and see if it is fresh. Let the guy that is selling it ride it and look to see if it smokes. And watch how he or she rides it, if he rides the crap out of it chances are that’s the way he road it all the time. After it has gotten hot shut it off and wait a minuet and see if it will start when it is hot.
Basically look it over real good. Then make them a low ball offer and if they don’t take it, thank them and walk away. Then call back about a week later and try again.

There are plenty of ex's out there take your time.

slightlybent47
11-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Also on that 440, ask who did the motor work and how many times it’s been rebuilt.
It all depends who did the work and how many hours it has on it since it’s rebuild.
If it was rebuilt in 07 then that was two years ago and it is probably dew for a rebuild.
Put it up on a stand and check the wheel Barings and the rear carrier. Look at the break pads to see if they are new or old. Tell them you have several you are looking at and you will get back with them. If they know you are look at others that may persuade them to drop there price.

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Well ill hear more about the bike and what its got in about a week. A small dealer is buying it off some one. I got some pics if you guys want to see it.

slightlybent47
11-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Sure!!!!

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:04 PM
This is what he sent me not to good of pics but that is what i got. A little dirt but i could clean it up real good.

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:09 PM
another

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
another one

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:11 PM

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:12 PM

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:13 PM

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:13 PM

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
last one. A few little things and i think it could be track ready as much as i can afford that is. haha

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
As far as i know is that it has a 440cc in it and its a 2002.

slightlybent47
11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Well it has a lot of good parts on it and looks pretty good from the pics. But I do see one thing that concerns me and that is the pic of the crank case. That looks like rust but I thought the case was cast aluminum and that don’t rust. There may be a leak there, not sure, can’t tell. In the 4 pic you can see the muffler is beat up and there is no pic with the seat on it. In the last pic the head pipe looks like an after market or it’s been modified. There are no heal guards on it either. I’m not crazy about it, I’d keep looking.

87HONDATRX250X
11-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Well it has a lot of good parts on it and looks pretty good from the pics. But I do see one thing that concerns me and that is the pic of the crank case. That looks like rust but I thought the case was cast aluminum and that don’t rust. There may be a leak there, not sure, can’t tell. In the 4 pic you can see the muffler is beat up and there is no pic with the seat on it. In the last pic the head pipe looks like an after market or it’s been modified. There are no heal guards on it either. I’m not crazy about it, I’d keep looking.

Yeah i think so to, but i wait to hear back from the guy and see how much he wants whats all on it. I bet the dealer with clean her up real good and take some new pics. He is kind of a super clean kinda guy. haha. There is also a 1999 with a bunch of stuff on it but not sure if id want a 99. I got some pics if you want to see it.