PDA

View Full Version : oil change

wali2408
11-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Just got my 08 400ex and im new to four strokes i was wondering how often i should change the oil. I only trail ride. Also if you could recommend some oils that would be great thanks

rocky_mtn_honda
11-24-2009, 11:15 AM
do some searching....theres a ton of oil threads in the 400ex forum. it just all depends on what kinda oil you want to run. i use genuine honda gn4, but this is a personal preference...i just kinda figure if honda says its good...im sure it is. i've also heard quite a few good things about rotella 15-40, just make sure you stay away from anything that isnt safe for wet clutches. as for how often to change it, id say go with what your owners/service manual recommends. you could go with synthetic, and not have to change as often, but im a fan of using regular ol' dino oil and changing it a little more often.

ds268
11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
The honda oil is a very good quality oil and is also my choice. I change mine about every four to five rides, depending on how long I ride for (one ride is pretty much most or all day). Mine see's a lot of dune riding and higher rpm than trail riding but check the oil before and after every ride. Regular oil changes does wonders for reliability and longevity.