PDA

View Full Version : Tranny mods? backcut?

MX450
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Is it a good idea to get the trans backcut?? what exactly is this? also what about harding the gears? i know guys like MXP and baldwin do this how much does it run? and is it worth it?

thanks

D Bergstrom
11-23-2009, 08:18 PM
I have had Moto-Xperts mod the tranmissions in both my 450R's, along with ISF coating the transmission in my race quad. The transmission shifts so much better after the mod. I really could not tell you what was done, I know they cut the gears so they engage better. Also the ISF coating reduces friction, hence reducing heat, always a good thing. There is a little info on Moto-Xperts website about the transmission mods. Your best bet though would be to call them and get the info straight from the source.

Doug

staakej
11-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I bought the sparks kit and I never had any more problems with my 07 I dont think they where back cut I think they just had the coating but Ive talked to guys that had there gears back cut and had good luck with that to.

eastside 400
11-24-2009, 08:46 PM
i noticed you have an 05 MX450, the 04-05 dont really need the gears cut, some say it helps but there isnt much of a problem, the ISF coating is always beneficial though

D Bergstrom
11-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i noticed you have an 05 MX450, the 04-05 dont really need the gears cut, some say it helps but there isnt much of a problem, the ISF coating is always beneficial though

I actually broke the transmissions in both of my 450R's in the lsat year, one a 2004 and the other a 2005. After describing the damage to Toby at Moto-Xperts, he said that his mods should help to prevent it from happening again. You do not hear much about transmission problems in the 04/05 machines, but it does happen. The mods for sure made a difference in the feel, the transmissions shift and engage so much better now.

Doug

MX450
11-25-2009, 06:56 AM
doug how much does the mxp tranny mod run?

chad502ex
11-25-2009, 09:21 AM
One important factor about performing the tranny mod is the sequence in which you get it done....

There are three steps to perform, in a correct sequence, that will yeild a bullet proof tranny.... if the sequence isn't performed in the proper order, all $ will be wasted...

Most shops are not performing the proper sequence of modifications; in fact, most shops are only performing two of the three required... There is a third step I consider intellectual property so I cant mention to public, only customers....

Good luck!

:macho

D Bergstrom
11-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by MX450
doug how much does the mxp tranny mod run?

I honestly do not remember. When I sent my transmissions in, alot of parts had to be replaced also due to the damage, so not sure what the actual mod cost was. Your best bet would be to call Toby over and Moto-Xperts and ask him.

Doug

MX450
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
well i got one guy telling me i dont need it, one guy says i do, and another says most will do it wrong... hmmm time to think abt this i guess

eastside 400
11-25-2009, 03:53 PM
im not saying that it is a complete waste on the 05's, it will always help but the 04-05 dont really require it like the 06+. One thing to think about is, have you ever had any tranny problems in the past?

Dave400ex
11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
well i got one guy telling me i dont need it, one guy says i do, and another says most will do it wrong... hmmm time to think abt this i guess

The 04-05's do not need it as bad as the 06+. But if your going through the motor, I would do it.

As far as what Chad said, every builder has their own way, but there is nothing wrong with the setup MXP has been doing. It has been done in so many 450R's I couldn't even tell you how many. As Doug said, it helps, and has been proven over and over again. Your not wasting money doing the mod, that is for sure. As for the ISF, I looked into it and for most people that is really not worth it!

MX450
11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
well im planning on rebuilding my motor this winter, crank, valves, piston, everything, want it to be reliable for next season. i have not had any tranny issues so far, but i would hate to put all that time and $$ into rebuilding and then have to tear it down again because of the tranny.

so dave you suggest just having MXP backcut it and dont worry about the ISF...polishing.. or whatever? any idea how much he charges... when it comes time i will call for prices but just tryin to get some idea right now.

thanks for the input

quadracer91
11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
well im planning on rebuilding my motor this winter, crank, valves, piston, everything, want it to be reliable for next season. i have not had any tranny issues so far, but i would hate to put all that time and $$ into rebuilding and then have to tear it down again because of the tranny.

so dave you suggest just having MXP backcut it and dont worry about the ISF...polishing.. or whatever? any idea how much he charges... when it comes time i will call for prices but just tryin to get some idea right now.

thanks for the input I have broke gears in all year 450r's until this year i had mine back cut and superfinished. norris Quinn did mine

Dave400ex
11-25-2009, 06:08 PM

thanks for the input

It is $120 for the tranny mod. I looked into the ISF and was told by several that it was not a must. You can ask Toby more about it, he has done it. I'm not saying it wouldn't help, just that most riders would never see the benefit. Also you can talk to CV4 about the ISF, they do a lot.

MX450
11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
ok i got ya. 120 isnt bad at all. so is "superfinishing" the same as the ISF??

im not looking to build a crazy race motor just want a realible bike to run locals and maybe one or two nats next year, for 120 though i may just go ahead and do it

D Bergstrom
11-25-2009, 08:05 PM

I am not saying you need to do it, but it can not hurt. I never had any transmission problems, never replaced a part in them, everything always looked good when I had the cases split. That all changed at the end of last year. One of the dogs on a gear broke off. When it broke, that piece took out one case half, then bounced around in the trans and pretty much knicked up every gear. It was not even cheap to fix. 7 months later, the same gear broke on my other 450R. Hopefully the transmission mod will prevent this from happening again. I was also told that I should go through and replace every washer, circlip, spacer in the trans as part of regular maintainance, so this is something else I started doing once a year. If you do not have the mod done, I would at a min replace that stuff.

I was told the ISF coating does nothing to help strength, it just reduces friction. Less heat, more power to the ground is the result. I only had the coating done on my race quad, since it is ran for hundreds of miles at a time, less heat is a good thing. Eventually, I will probably have it done to my other 450R when funds are available.

Doug

eastside 400
11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
remember 120 is just sending them the tranny in pieces. also, if your gonna get the gears cut you might want to buy some new ones, it all depends on how worn yours are already