PDA

View Full Version : Running without a baffle?

robertwarreniii
11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I just bought a '05 450r and the muffler doesn't have a baffle in it. There is also some tape on the air box lid and it looks like it is covering some holes that were drilled in it. I don't think that really matters but I am just throwing it out there. As far as I know the wheeler is completly stock otherwise. I do plan on buying a whole new exhuast system in the near future but til then, should I be doing anything to prevent any damage to my engine? Like rejetting. I heard that running without an airbox lid or no baffle could be making you run lean. Is there any truth to this?

smw450r
11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
if you just take the baffle out it won' hurt anything but as far as the drilled holes in the airbox lid with tape covering them i would recommend taking the whole airbox led off and riding it and see how it run's if its running rough and missing then its running lean but its hard to tell the previous owner may have had rejetted it just try it, it may run good he may have rejetted it for the airbox mod but you never know he may have not known what he was doing and just covered up the holes to make it run right

RideRaceLive93
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
^^^^ you my friend are kinda wronf on the "it wont hurt anything part" these bikes from the factory run lean taking the baffle out just makes that problem worse you dont want to run lean as it WILL cuase damge to the engine. is there any popping or back firing on decel??Here is how you should go about your problem first check what jets are in there now if they are all stock get yourself either a jet kit or specified jets that you need.Now do you want to run with air box lid on or off, or cut the back portion out? do some research on what jets you should start with no baffle with cut lid should be around 175-185 for an 05. I would also recomend just getting an hrc kit it comes with jets,header (if an 06) cam new lid new snorkle and new T breather. or you can make your own which is what i did. anymore question feel free to shoot away