PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or 450r???

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi every one. Well i recently blew my 300ex motor up so i am looking at fixing it and selling it to upgrade to something bigger. So here is the question. Should i get a 400ex or 450r? I ride tracks at least once a week and hit up a small trail once a month. Ive heard good and bad things about both but not sure whats better in the long run. I want to get into a bit of racing this coming year but don't got big bucks to spend. Let me know some pros and cons of the two bikes and put in your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Ryan'07400ex
11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
Hi every one. Well i recently blew my 300ex motor up so i am looking at fixing it and selling it to upgrade to something bigger. So here is the question. Should i get a 400ex or 450r? I ride tracks at least once a week and hit up a small trail once a month. Ive heard good and bad things about both but not sure whats better in the long run. I want to get into a bit of racing this coming year but don't got big bucks to spend. Let me know some pros and cons of the two bikes and put in your opinion. Thanks in advance.

If you race more than trail ride a 450 would probably be better. You wont need reverse and it will be cheaper because you wont have to upgrade (aftermarket) so much.

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah i was thinking kind of the same thing. The down side to the 450r is its expensive compared to the 400ex. How much more maintenance is involved then the 400ex?

Ryan'07400ex
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
Yeah i was thinking kind of the same thing. The down side to the 450r is its expensive compared to the 400ex. How much more maintenance is involved then the 400ex?

I don't have one but the 450 wont be more expensive because aftermarket shocks and performance stuff will make it cost more than the 450 probably.

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
I don't have one but the 450 wont be more expensive because aftermarket shocks and performance stuff will make it cost more than the 450 probably.

Yeah i guess didnt really think about that.

Lonestar_R
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Well if are talking regular maintence the 450 will be much much more. That is a race motor in the 450 and needs constant attention with valve adjust and ring changes. A 400EX you can put hundreds of hours on it with just a simple oil and filter changes and maybe a valve adjustment every year or so. I have had both of them and I ride a 400EX. The 450 is a high strung race quad and needs to be ridden like one all the time or you will hate it.

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
Well if are talking regular maintence the 450 will be much much more. That is a race motor in the 450 and needs constant attention with valve adjust and ring changes. A 400EX you can put hundreds of hours on it with just a simple oil and filter changes and maybe a valve adjustment every year or so. I have had both of them and I ride a 400EX. The 450 is a high strung race quad and needs to be ridden like one all the time or you will hate it.

What about a stock 450r engine? With like UNI or K&N air filter and maby a jet kit. What do you mean by ride it like a race quad?

Lonestar_R
11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
A Stock or a modify 450 motor needs much much more maintence than the 400EX. The 450 motor needs to be revved alot. you have to have them in a high RPM range to get them to run the way they are meant to

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
A Stock or a modify 450 motor needs much much more maintence than the 400EX. The 450 motor needs to be revved alot. you have to have them in a high RPM range to get them to run the way they are meant to

So ride it like a 2 stroke basically. I know a few people who have 450s and they ride normally as i would ride mine.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 06:17 PM
If you want to be competitive then the 450 is the way to go. Yes there is a lot more to maintaining it but they are so much faster then an ex. I have to ride retarted on a build ex just to keep up with them. You can get a good used 450 with all the mods on it for less then a new stock 450. I love my ex and like not having to do much to it just to keep it going. I wish I could have both but sadly I can only have one so it’s an ex. Best of both worlds. The only time the 450 out runs me is mostly in long straits and they have more power so they get a better launch off the face of the jumps and they get more distance on the jump. Come out of corner and only have a short run to the face of a jump the 450 can usually have enough power to clear the jump where my ex can’t quite make it.

The question is how competitive do you want to be.

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
If you want to be competitive then the 450 is the way to go. Yes there is a lot more to maintaining it but they are so much faster then an ex. I have to ride retarted on a build ex just to keep up with them. You can get a good used 450 with all the mods on it for less then a new stock 450. I love my ex and like not having to do much to it just to keep it going. I wish I could have both but sadly I can only have one so it’s an ex. Best of both worlds. The only time the 450 out runs me is mostly in long straits and they have more power so they get a better launch off the face of the jumps and they get more distance on the jump. Come out of corner and only have a short run to the face of a jump the 450 can usually have enough power to clear the jump where my ex can’t quite make it.

The question is how competitive do you want to be.

Yeah it sucks not being able to have both. I ride tracks and thats about it and not being to clear a 40ft double hurts after a while. Was out for 2 weeks after not clearing it enough times. I can get a used race ready 2005 450r for around $4000. And a 400ex id have to build up my self. I just dont want to buy a 400ex and put a bunch into it then sell it to get a 450r. What is all required for maintenance on a 450r. Besides the bsics like oil and filter cleaning.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Let start with some basic questions.
How old are you?
What class are you in?
What type of tracks will you be ridding on? Long wide open track, or tight technical track?
What are your goals?
What is your race budget?
Can you get some sponsors?
How good are you at repairing your bike?
How much repair work you can do and how much will have to go to a mechanic?

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Let start with some basic questions.
How old are you?
What class are you in?
What type of tracks will you be ridding on? Long wide open track, or tight technical track?
What are your goals?
What is your race budget?
Can you get some sponsors?

How old are you? 15

What class are you in? Never entered a organized race yet.

What type of tracks will you be ridding on? Long wide open track, or tight technical track? One track i ride is a very wide open track, another one i just started going to is very tight with lots of step ups and step downs into turns.

What are your goals? To start racing and be the best i can and have fun and meet new people.

What is your race budget? Dont really know yet seeing i still need to get a solid job before i can do to much.

Can you get some sponsors? Dont know for sure still kind of new to this whole racing world still.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 06:43 PM
One more thing, when you race a lot you go through several sets of tires a year. Rear tires mostly.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 06:45 PM
How long have you been ridding?

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 06:47 PM
How long have you been ridding?

Since last year. I have progressed faster then i thought i would. I go to a track every week or more. I can jump all the jumps with my 300ex but just dont got the power to jump any bigger then a 35ft double or 50ft table.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Ok it sounds like an ex would do the job for you quite nicely. Check with the race org. that you will be ridding in and check there rules on youth on 450 cc classes. Some may require you to be 16 to race the 450. Look for a good used ex that has been built and see what you can come up with. And compare that to a used 450. A built ex will have quite a bit more power than a 300 and with a good suspension set up on an ex can handle most every thing a 450 suspension can, once there set up correctly. You should do good on an ex and you wont have to work as many hours to keep it going.

If you spend all your time at work trying to keep the bike running, it won’t give you much time to ride.

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Ok it sounds like an ex would do the job for you quite nicely. Check with the race org. that you will be ridding in and check there rules on youth on 450 cc classes. Some may require you to be 16 to race the 450. Look for a good used ex that has been built and see what you can come up with. And compare that to a used 450. A built ex will have quite a bit more power than a 300 and with a good suspension set up on an ex can handle most every thing a 450 suspension can, once there set up correctly. You should do good on an ex and you wont have to work as many hours to keep it going.

If you spend all your time at work trying to keep the bike running, it won’t give you much time to ride.

I live in Canada so i dont know if the rules will be the same but any ways i tried the site and its not up yet. Do you know of nay other racing information that might help me out.

bean2080
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
i have both and IMO they are two different quads. the 400 is more of a "basic" quad, although it can be made a very fast quad but like said before it does take some money. if you are wanting a more competative quad out of the box then the 450r is the way to go but the 450r is by far not a completly race ready, just like the 400ex. they both have there downfalls like everything else but either of them have major issues. for what you said you wanted it for, i think the 400ex would be just fine for you, i have had one for years and it has done just fine. the only reason i have my 450r is because i came along a good deal but i am very happy with it. IMO reverse is over rated, i havent had it for years and i have never HAD to have it, although it would be nice to have sometimes, it is not really needed. im am quessing you are a younger person and i have noticed when people that dont weigh alot and ride my 450r they are all over the quad, one second they are setting on the gas tank and the next second they are hanging on the back fenders, its almost like a crash course. all in all both quads are good and it just comes down to what you really want to have. i hope this helps you some.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
The org. I race in allows 14 year olds to race 450s and I think the national’s are going to next year but not all org’s go by the same rules. So check with the one you’ll be in to make sure. It’s really hard to say on something like this with out seeing you ride a see what your skills are. You may be ready for a 450 now. Try to contact the org. and see if you can find out when they practice and go out there and have a look see. Ask them lots of questions and if you can ride with them that will give you some idea what you need to do. There may be someone there who can watch you ride and steer you in the right direction.

87HONDATRX250X
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
The org. I race in allows 14 year olds to race 450s and I think the national’s are going to next year but not all org’s go by the same rules. So check with the one you’ll be in to make sure. It’s really hard to say on something like this with out seeing you ride a see what your skills are. You may be ready for a 450 now. Try to contact the org. and see if you can find out when they practice and go out there and have a look see. Ask them lots of questions and if you can ride with them that will give you some idea what you need to do. There may be someone there who can watch you ride and steer you in the right direction.

Ill have to snoop around and see what i can find. Seeing im tight on money like most every one else i might just end up going with a 400ex and set it up for racing. I haven't even raced yet so who knows if ill do a season of racing or just a race here and there and local track riding. If i get serous i can all ways upgrade with out to much of a loss if that.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 07:57 PM
You have a budget problem = ex
You have only been ridding for one year = ex
You have never raced = ex
Your only 15 = ex
Tons of good used parts = ex
Easy maintenance = ex

I think we have a winer!!!!

honda400ex2003
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
agreed ^^ steve

87HONDATRX250X
11-24-2009, 10:27 AM
You have a budget problem = ex
You have only been ridding for one year = ex
You have never raced = ex
Your only 15 = ex
Tons of good used parts = ex
Easy maintenance = ex

I think we have a winer!!!!

Haha yeah i guess we do.

John Noftsinger
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM
make sure you get quad that has suspention already. Does the 450r for $4000 have wide a-arm/aftermarket shocks? if not look some more or make payment on new quad if you aren,t a diehard honda lover there,s alway,s IMO the "best bang for you buck" the suzuki LTR450.

87HONDATRX250X
11-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
make sure you get quad that has suspention already. Does the 450r for $4000 have wide a-arm/aftermarket shocks? if not look some more or make payment on new quad if you aren,t a diehard honda lover there,s alway,s IMO the "best bang for you buck" the suzuki LTR450.

Yeah its a full blown race quad. But i think im going with a 2005 400ex race ready until i get more serious about racing. Money is a issue right now. But yeah the ltr450 is an amazing quad id get it if i could.