PDA

View Full Version : 400ex timing problem

novak8
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
i know there are some threads on this already but none have really helped my situation.

after rebuilding the top end, i was trying to set the timing but nothing would line up exactly (lines on cam gear). i figured it was no big deal so i finished putting it back together. it fired right up and idled ok but was smoking ALOT. tryed driving it around the yard thinking there was just some oil in the head but i couldnt go beyond like half throttle otherwise it would cut out and stall. i found that if the choke is on the whole time it will run better but still smoke a ton. i know it is not the rings since they were just replaced. any help will be greatly appreciated since i have torn the motor apart 3 times trying to get the timing right. if it could be anything else please let me know.

Strokin'400
11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
When you tear it apart again assuming you have to,piston has to be on top dead center,little cap cover on the side of the stator lined up with t mark. The chain tensioner should be taken out when readjusting timing, then make sure cam sprocket lines are horizontal to the cylinder, mount the sprocket, cam lobes will be facing down during install put the tensioner back in and adjust your valves and button it all back up and call it a day. Need any more help just post or pm me.