PDA

View Full Version : need advice- got a dwi

FreekShow
11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
the other night i got into an accident. i hit a fence and left the scene. i got pulled over after driving for about another mile. the thing is, i dont remember any of this. i was given a dwi, leaving the scence of an accident, and failure to keep right. they gave me a breathalyzer and i got a 0.0. i wasnt drinking at all. apparently i couldnt stand and was stumbling all over, slurring my words, and refused to take a blood test. i went back to where the accident happened and there is marks from my rim leading up to the fence for about 100 feet. it looks like my tire went flat and i was riding on my rim and smashed into the fence because i couldnt make the turn. i wasnt arrested i was just given the 3 tickets and have to go to court. the entire night is a complete blank to me. i cant remember where i was before the accident or how i ended up driving where i hit the fence. i dont remember hitting the fence or driving off or anything. only thing i remember is waking up in the hospital at 6 in the morning. i wasnt injured and i didnt hurt anyone else thank god. i guess im just looking to see if anyone has any idea how i should handle the tickets?

bens250ex
11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
did you take some drugs??? do any of your friends remember if you were with them??? kinda strange man

BakerRacing40
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
find a lawyer to handle it. those are some serious charges and need to be handled very cautiously ..

fastredrider44
11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
You had to have been on something, or somebody put something in your drink. that sucks, and I'm willing to bet you get the short end of the stick when you go to court.

FreekShow
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
i talked to the only people i could have been hanging out with and they say i wasnt with them. and like i said, i had nothing to drink i had a 0.0 on the breathalyzer. i contacted a lawyer and now i get to pay $1500 just for the lawyer. i honestly dont do drugs either. i dont know if when i hit the fence it caused my memory loss or what. this whole situation is ****ty because i would never drive after drinking and i didnt. and i dont touch drugs. im only 19 and have a perfect driving record. not even a parking ticket. and i have a clean criminal record too ive never been in trouble for anything

fastredrider44
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Something doesn't add up. I'd be doing some investigating and figuring out what was up that night. Also, how can they make a DWI charge stand if you blew a 0.0?

FreekShow
11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
thats what i am not understanding. if i wasnt drinking i dont think it should have been a DWI? if they suspected drugs it should have been a dui or duai? i have no idea im just not too happy cuz i basically have to pay for a lawyer. i cant just go into court and be like uhhh yeah i dont remember that night.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 04:02 PM
That is strange. I know its hind site but if you new you did not do any drugs why did you refuse the blood test? You already took the breath test so why the refusal?

250R-Dee
11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
DUI - Driving Under the Influence
DWI - Driving While Intoxicated
DWI - Driving While Impaired
OWI - Operating While Impaired
OVI - Operating a Vehicle Under the Influence

If the DWI in your state is Driving While Impaired you can charged with this if you drive while you are sleepy. This is normally the result of an accident that causes monetary damage or injury. They can also use this as a temporary charge while they are waiting on the blood work to return from the lab.

If you are having headaches you need to go get checked for a concussion. Have you had your memory loss examined by a doctor?

Oh yeah, refusing to give a blood or urine sample will get you an AUTOMATIC DWI/DUI charge in most states. In essence you automatically admitted to being guilty of "something" when you refused.

ricksmx865
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
If you HONESTLY didnt do any drugs or have any drinks (not calling you a liar just sayin)

i'd hit up the doctors office and figure out why you would randomly black out and not remember a whole night

just sayin

hope ya get it figured out

atvnut22
11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by FreekShow
i wasnt drinking at all. apparently i couldnt stand and was stumbling all over, slurring my words, and refused to take a blood test. only thing i remember is waking up in the hospital at 6 in the morning.

^^^he doesnt remember he denied the drug test, therefore, im guessing he was cookoo at the time they asked him.

tp300ex
11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
someone slip something in your drink somewhere?

quad2xtreme
11-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Obviously you weren't drinking. If you weren't do drugs, then you sound like you had a seizure.

You would have been very disoriented and had a memory lapse. Generally, you remember what happened up to the moment of the seizure but nothing after for 20-30 minutes...sometimes longer.

Drunken-like state is exactly what you would be like after waking up.

rodeo#11
11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
i had a similar case i blacked out randomly and shot off the road and hit a tree...i was still dizzy and stumbling when the cops showed up...with a doctor and ems evaluation they concluded my blood sugar had dropped and caused me to pass out...i was just charged with wreck-less driving because i went across the yellow lines. get your doctor to help you out.

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Get a diabetes test. You may have become diabetic and not even know it till something like this happens.

ATV Chic
11-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Get a diabetes test. You may have become diabetic and not even know it till something like this happens.

I was going to suggest this. Also have them test your TSH (thyroid) levels. can cause symptoms like that also. I found out out of the blue when i was 25 that i was diabetic. It can happen :ermm:

250x_kyle
11-23-2009, 08:05 PM
i know in pa if you refuse a blood test even after taking a breathalizer and are under the age of 21 the charge will stick. even if you are over 21 your chances are slim to none to with the battle.

muddy400EX
11-23-2009, 08:19 PM
maybe when you hit the fence you hit your head and got knocked out for a minute or something:confused:

XXX -rider
11-24-2009, 06:46 PM
narcolepsy

reptikes
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
You need to see a Doctor and exsplain what happened before waisting money on a lawyer.

FreekShow
11-25-2009, 05:42 PM
yeah i would gladly see a doctor but i have no insurance. probably cost me more for the damn doctors visit than it would to just pay for the lawyer and see what happens. i dont know im just so stuck on what to do. this sucks

XXX -rider
11-25-2009, 05:42 PM
hmmm,,^ bad advise IMO he definitely WILL need a lawyer !

extremeblastr
11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by XXX -rider
hmmm,,^ bad advise IMO he definitely WILL need a lawyer !

not if it can be explained by a medical condition...

XXX -rider
11-25-2009, 06:13 PM
you believe a lawyer isnt neded to represent & explain a medical condition in court ? vs him ..well ,I would explain more but my time is more valuable
..ok by me ,since its not ME ..good luck !

honda350r
11-25-2009, 07:33 PM
alien abduction ? J/K

Hope you get it figured out

motofreak2772
11-25-2009, 10:24 PM
plead insane...

no seriously, figure out where you were and who you were with first. Im thinking the crash or something else caused the memory loss. Talk with the officer and explain your story now that you arent messed up. Maybe he can tell you what he thinks since he actually saw you and remembers haha. Go to court and tell the truth cause really your not the criminal, your a victim and your lucky you weren't a fatal victim. Why did the cop let you drive home in those conditions?

11-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by XXX -rider
narcolepsy

I'm sorry but I laughed my a$s off at that. lol.

But on a serious note- I would go see the doc. like others have said. Even if it does cost you some dough I would want to know what the hell is going on.

11-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Something doesn't add up. I'd be doing some investigating and figuring out what was up that night. Also, how can they make a DWI charge stand if you blew a 0.0?

DWI or DUI does not just involve alcohol. I whitnessed an accident a few days ago, a guy was on medications and slammed into the back of a truck that was stopped at a light at 50MPH. He got a DUI. Maybe its different where you are but a DUI here means jail time, its no joke 1st offense be prepared to be behind bars. Hope everyhting works out alright with you good luck. I'm curious to what happened and why you did what you did and not remembering it.

XXX -rider
11-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Nova
I'm sorry but I laughed my a$s off at that. lol.

But on a serious note- I would go see the doc. like others have said. Even if it does cost you some dough I would want to know what the hell is going on.

no problem here ,but being I dont know anything about him narcolepsey .could have been his problem ..read

http://www.sleepnet.com/narco3/messages/816.html

ben300
11-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
plead insane...

no seriously, figure out where you were and who you were with first. Im thinking the crash or something else caused the memory loss. Talk with the officer and explain your story now that you arent messed up. Maybe he can tell you what he thinks since he actually saw you and remembers haha. Go to court and tell the truth cause really your not the criminal, your a victim and your lucky you weren't a fatal victim. Why did the cop let you drive home in those conditions?

the cops didnt let him drive home....he did say he woke up in a hospital bed at 6 am

FreekShow
11-26-2009, 09:43 PM
like i said, i didnt do drugs. i have no reason to lie about this. if i did i would admit it to an internet forum.

250x_kyle
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
yeah i would get some tests done. you could have something more serious wrong that could result in death if you dont know about the conditions. my grandpa found out he was a diabetic when he was out hunting and went into shock. luckily they found him almost to the house and got him in the ambulance.

usp4u
11-27-2009, 09:07 AM
1. go to the doctor, forget the insurance bit. just do it, take out a loan if you have to. get checked out.
2. get a lawyer seriously.
in many states, refusing blood and/or breath tests is AUTOMATIC liscence suspension & DWI conviction. you do not want to go through this system if you dont have to. besides, your health may be in jeopardy.

You REALLY dont want a DWI conviction following you around......Trust me, been there :ermm:

meankfx
11-27-2009, 11:10 AM
U said u woke up in the hospital. So what did the doctors say while you were there?

Kickstarts-suck
11-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by meankfx
U said u woke up in the hospital. So what did the doctors say while you were there?

^^^^

FreekShow
11-27-2009, 03:01 PM
apparently all they did was take my blood pressure and keep my heartrate monitored.