PDA

View Full Version : Good AT&T phone?

jesseweaver
11-23-2009, 01:11 PM
im renewing my plan with AT&T and i can get an upgrade phone (well i could since sept. just never got around to it). i really dont know what to get. i was looking at the LG Vue and Samsung Solstice. anyone have them? are they good phones? are there any other good phones for about that price?

BlasterEaten250
11-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I like my lg vu. I've had it for a few months and it seems to be holding up great. The only thing I don't like is the battery lasts like 2 days at the most

jesseweaver
11-23-2009, 01:22 PM
ok thanks and thats fine with me i usually plug mine in every night

k4f5x0r
11-23-2009, 01:28 PM
do NOT get the LG vu. biggest peice of crap i have ever owned.

the thing is solid ill give it this, but if you use it for any texting at all do not get it. It get's really annoying.

and i get my battery to last easily a week by turning town the vibration settings when you touch the screen and by turning down the screen brightness.

XCRacer236
11-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
ok thanks and thats fine with me i usually plug mine in every night

DO NOT charge your phone over night. that is the worst thing you can do to a battery. always try to pull it off when it says its full.

as far as phones, id go with the Tilt 2. its a bit pricey though. after that the BB Bold 9700. after that the Pure

jesseweaver
11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
DO NOT charge your phone over night. that is the worst thing you can do to a battery. always try to pull it off when it says its full.

as far as phones, id go with the Tilt 2. its a bit pricey though. after that the BB Bold 9700. after that the Pure

i've plugged my razr in 99% of the nights over the past 2 years. the thing still works perfect and will hold a charge for 3 days if i need it to

BlasterEaten250
11-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r

the thing is solid ill give it this, but if you use it for any texting at all do not get it. It get's really annoying.

and i get my battery to last easily a week by turning town the vibration settings when you touch the screen and by turning down the screen brightness. I find it easier not to turn it sideways for the texting, when its the full keyboard the buttons are way to small. I have the vibration turned off for the buttons and the background set to the darkest. I also use it a lot though, so I probably shouldn't complain about the battery.

XCRacer236
11-23-2009, 03:38 PM
i've plugged my razr in 99% of the nights over the past 2 years. the thing still works perfect and will hold a charge for 3 days if i need it to

how long does it last if you actually use it?

ryansblaster
11-23-2009, 04:47 PM

and i get my battery to last easily a week by turning town the vibration settings when you touch the screen and by turning down the screen brightness.

agreed Ive went through 5 VUs in the past year and I never dropped them

Rich250RRacer
11-23-2009, 05:12 PM

I wonder if anybody here knows what LG stands for? No, it's not "Life's Good". Recently, I took my TV in for repair, and got to talking with the repair man about various brands of electronics and what was good and what wasn't. Anybody remember the Goldstar brand of electronics? They made TV's, radios, stereo equipment, and home appliances, usually sold at K-Mart and other cheap discount stores. It was a cheaply made brand from China and basically throw-away stuff. The company pretty much disappeared because of the bad reputation they had. The parent company of Goldstar over in China is Lucky Goldstar, and they got back into the US market by renaming their junk products with the initials of their company, LG.

XCRacer236
11-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I wonder if anybody here knows what LG stands for? No, it's not "Life's Good". Recently, I took my TV in for repair, and got to talking with the repair man about various brands of electronics and what was good and what wasn't. Anybody remember the Goldstar brand of electronics? They made TV's, radios, stereo equipment, and home appliances, usually sold at K-Mart and other cheap discount stores. It was a cheaply made brand from China and basically throw-away stuff. The company pretty much disappeared because of the bad reputation they had. The parent company of Goldstar over in China is Lucky Goldstar, and they got back into the US market by renaming their junk products with the initials of their company, LG.

HAHAHA. if thats true thats hilarious. sadly that happens all the time. when a company loses its franchise they come back and people think its new and awesome.

the only LG things i have had was a phone a couple years back and it was junk.

Zakradu398
11-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I have the Samsung Impression. I'd say its a pretty decent phone. I'm on my second one after 8 months but I beat it to hell and back. Overall good phone, takes nice pictures, talking is clear and it has a keyboard.

EDIT: When my first one broke, called up AT&T and had a brand new one the next day.

fasterblaster09
11-23-2009, 07:08 PM
do not get an impression! it sucks *****. after about every 50 texts, I have to turn it off then on because it stops receiving or sending texts. the internet on it is good, but overall....SUCKS.

sometimes the buttons freeze but the touch screen still works?? go figure. I figured it was just a lemon, but this is my 2nd one does the same thing. (full keyboard is nice though)

Zakradu398
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
do not get an impression! it sucks *****. after about every 50 texts, I have to turn it off then on because it stops receiving or sending texts. the internet on it is good, but overall....SUCKS.

sometimes the buttons freeze but the touch screen still works?? go figure. I figured it was just a lemon, but this is my 2nd one does the same thing. (full keyboard is nice though)

Mine does freeze about once per day (200-300 texts) but not too often, not much of a hassle just turning it off then on though.

My keys never quit until it was begginning to break, they keyboard quit then eventually the screen.

fasterblaster09
11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
yeh it gets kind of aggevating sometimes when im going at it and i have to sit there and wait. of course I get aggervated really easy...this is why I am on my second, it froze and I got kinda mad and wooooof, right into my dashboard lol

jesseweaver
11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
how long does it last if you actually use it?

usually 2 full days, it'll die on the 3rd day. thats with like maybe 200-300 texts (nothin better to do in school :ermm: ) and yea i plug it in EVERY night

Rich250RRacer
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
HAHAHA. if thats true thats hilarious. sadly that happens all the time. when a company loses its franchise they come back and people think its new and awesome.

the only LG things i have had was a phone a couple years back and it was junk.

From Wikipedia:

In 1959, Goldstar produced South Korea's first radio. Many consumer electronics were sold under the brand name GoldStar, while some other household products (not available outside South Korea) were sold under the brand name of Lucky. The Lucky brand was famous for its hygiene products line such as soaps and Hi-Ti laundry detergents, but most associated with its Lucky and Perioe toothpaste.

In 1995, so as to better compete in the Western market, the company was renamed "LG", the abbreviation of "Lucky GoldStar". More recently, the company associates its tagline "Life's Good", with the letters LG. Since 2009, LG also owns the domain name LG.com. It is now in the VB.com Internet Hall of Fame among 59 large corporations to own a two letter domain name.[4]

11-24-2009, 04:28 AM
I have an LG Vu myself. I bought it a while back on craigslist dirt cheap, only to find out it had issues and kept goint to the "insert sim" screen.
Well, I sent it in to LG because to my surprise, it was still under warranty.

About a week later, I recieve a BRAND NEW phone. I've had it for a couple months now and haven't had a problem. I really like it.

It has a lot of neat things, the sideways qwerty keyboard is pretty good (and I even have fat fingers)

11-24-2009, 10:05 AM
iPhone for the win. Extra $20 a month is worth it IMO. Does everything you can possibly think of. I haven't had a single problem with mine. My dad has had his for a year and not a problem with his either.

wykyd450R
11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
x2 on the iphone. ;) I love mine.

jesseweaver
11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by wykyd450R
x2 on the iphone. ;) I love mine.

yea that really tempts me. i have an itouch and i love it. but i can't afford the $100+ monthly bill :ermm:

Sjorge450R
11-24-2009, 03:57 PM
blackberry...any of them. I have a pearl and i dont have any problems, but I am definetly getting a bold once I finally man up and start paying for the data plan...

11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
yea that really tempts me. i have an itouch and i love it. but i can't afford the $100+ monthly bill :ermm:

I pay $90 a month for mine. Unlimited text and data with the lowest minutes.

jesseweaver
11-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Nova
I pay $90 a month for mine. Unlimited text and data with the lowest minutes.

:ermm: still kinda expensive for me. and whats data?

11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
:ermm: still kinda expensive for me. and whats data?

Internet. For places where wifi isn't available.

If you buy a 1st generation Iphone off craigslist thats in really nice shape, it's only $20 a month for unlimited everything instead of $30 for the 3G.

11-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Data is internet, GPS, and some apps. The data plan is required with the iPhone. You can get the 8gig 3g iPhone for $99 with 2 year.

mcwilly
11-25-2009, 08:28 AM
I had an LG Vu for about 8 months before I was given an iphone 2G. The Vu was ok, but the iphone (even the 2G version) blew it away. I recently got rid of the 2G and now have the 3G. The 3G of course is even better.
I hated the keyboard on the Vu. I also turned the key vibrate off as well as turning the brighness down to help conserve on the battery. The Vu isnt a bad phone, but it could be improved.

jesseweaver
11-25-2009, 03:30 PM
ok i'm kinda leaning toward the iphone. my itouhc is the 8gig. will the 8gig phone be enough?

oh yea... anyone wanna buy a pretty much brand new itouch 8gig? lol

11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
ok i'm kinda leaning toward the iphone. my itouhc is the 8gig. will the 8gig phone be enough?

I would love to but no money.. lol.

I would trade ya my vu for it. lmao.

BLU82
11-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I-phone all the way. I have the same 90$ a month bill, and I think it's worth it. It gets used as my home phone, cell phone, gps, camera, and i-pod, and takes all the abuse I can throw at it surprisingly. The plastic backing is all banged up and has cracked near my headphone jack so it's kinda missing a corner of the backing. But the screen is fine, no scratches or anything. I tried to get it replaced but they told me it had gotten wet so it was a no go on a free replacement. They pretty much detected that I beat the crap out of my phone lol

11-25-2009, 11:06 PM

All depends on YOU. It wasn't enough for me so I got the 32gig 3GS lol. But I use it at work as my MP3 because we're not allowed to bring MP3 players in, so because it's my phone I get away with it. :p

8gig 3g- $99
16gig 3gs- $199
32gig 3gs- $299

JForestZ34
11-26-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm due to upgrade in the next couple of weeks and I'm going from an iphone to a blackberry.. The last couple of months I've been having nothing but problems with my iphone... I will keep it for my ipod and that's about it.. I also bought a solstice a couple of months ago.. I used it for 2 hrs and never took it back.. I have it sitting in my closet.. I want to get rid of it... Good luck finding your phone of choice...

James

wykyd450R
11-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Nova
All depends on YOU. It wasn't enough for me so I got the 32gig 3GS lol. But I use it at work as my MP3 because we're not allowed to bring MP3 players in, so because it's my phone I get away with it. :p

8gig 3g- $99
16gig 3gs- $199
32gig 3gs- $299

Going from the 8gig 3g to the 16-32gig 3g"S", you get more features and a better camera for the extra money.