PDA

View Full Version : z400 wont start any ideas?

dirtman91386
11-23-2009, 10:07 AM
i have an 03 ltz stock that wont start...if you push start it, it fires right up and continues to start as long as the engine is warm...i thought it was the cams...checked and there both with in tollerance...next i checked the carb...but found nothing out of the ordinary....this where im stumped....when its cold it wont even start with a can of starting fluid....and this thing is throwing awesome spark and when the plug is out it seems like it is getting enough fuel....so any suggestions about where to look next would be great! thanks,

wykyd450R
11-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Sounds exactly like valves needing adjusted.

dirtman91386
11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
well thats what i was thinking in the first place...the comression release wasnt working...but i checked the tollerances and my brother did to and both intake and exhaust are with in spec...anyother suggestions?

wykyd450R
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe check the compression? If the rings/cylinder are worn too much, it wont start unless being pushed/pulled or when warm. The starter wont turn the engine over fast enough to build up compression, as it will when being pushed/pulled. Also, when the quad is warm, the cylinder walls/piston expand enough to make a better seal to have better compression. Just a thought. Might have better luck on z400 central site.

Dom Mancini
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
is it geting enough fuil try puting it on prime my bike was doing the same thing and when the gas lever is on prime my bike runs mint

Mattfiting
03-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Mine is doing the exact same thing I have checked the ground wires and every thing about to send to Suzuki to let them mess with it I have been working on bikes for a couple years and never had this problem

94racing
03-14-2010, 10:41 PM
anybody figure this out? mine does the same thing and the pipe will get hot while cranking but it wont start. when the pipes warm it will crackle and almost run at partial open throttle but then die. :confused: its realy got me stumped im just waiting to burn the starter up. it didnt do this before