PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket exhuasts

spud400ex
01-17-2003, 02:43 PM
i am planning on getting a new pipe possibly a system. i was looking into sparks X-6, LRD, or CT racing. i would like to see pics of these pipes.

250exrider69
01-17-2003, 04:19 PM
i think u should go with the ct racing cause it gives off alot of power and its really loud- my suggestion

hondaracer31
01-17-2003, 04:25 PM
I must be getting old...I've got the x-6 cause it makes LOTS of power and is NOT real loud.:devil
That way I can sneak up on guys and pass them before they know I'm there.;)

Davids440ex
01-17-2003, 08:58 PM
you will be very please with LRD if you have had any motor work i reccomend the ceramic coated one.

EvilJester400EX
01-17-2003, 10:32 PM
gotta love that LRD

spud400ex
01-17-2003, 10:59 PM
the engine is stock for know. that will change soon.:devil a spark arrester is a plus. after the pipe i will add a carb and cam when i have the money.

RIDER11X
01-18-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Davids440ex
you will be very please with LRD if you have had any motor work i reccomend the ceramic coated one.

GOT CHAIN LUBE!!!!!!:rolleyes: :devil :devil :devil j/k:)

Seriously, nice machine!!!:)

Nausty
01-18-2003, 01:49 AM
get the x-6, I got some pics of them in my quad album in my sig on page 2 or 3.

Davids440ex
01-18-2003, 02:08 AM
RIDER11X The waterup here makes it rust pretty fast and there is more dirt on it, then rust

Sparks425Ex
01-18-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
I must be getting old...I've got the x-6 cause it makes LOTS of power and is NOT real loud.:devil
That way I can sneak up on guys and pass them before they know I'm there.;)

I don't know where you got your X-6 but if you think that is quiet then what do you consider loud?

The Sparks x-6 is one of the loudest pipes out there. Along with TC and CT.

Go with the X-6 Great power gains and It is loud. So if sound is an option then don't get it.

hondaracer31
01-18-2003, 07:52 AM
Let me re-phrase that...The x-6 is not AS loud as some of the other exhuasts. It is loud but if you keep it packed it's not THAT bad, and keeping it packed gives you more power too.

I was at an indoor race last weekend and there were some EXTREMELY loud 4-stroke quads there. Compared to them my x-6 was quiet.

01-18-2003, 09:16 AM
:devil

spud400ex
01-19-2003, 12:03 PM
BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chef
01-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Rico
:devil

Its the almighty POWERBONG!!

Houser Cannondale
01-19-2003, 10:40 PM
gotta love that powerbong. :p

spud400ex
01-20-2003, 03:17 PM
i would also like to see an hmf system. this sounds like it is a good pipe but i want a pipe that looks good to.

DESDAK4
01-20-2003, 05:40 PM
I will tell you to maybe look at the Hetrick pipe.

Jay
USAF

spud400ex
01-20-2003, 05:51 PM
desdak4 what type of handguards ore those? they are sweet. how does the hetrick pipe compare to the others i asked about?

DESDAK4
01-20-2003, 06:25 PM
spud400ex,

Those are EMGO carbon fiber look alikes from Dennis Kirk they are nice looking and put together very well.

The Hetrick pipe puts out just as much if not more than any of the pipes you asked about above. If you search around on here you will find some real good info on it including a dyno graph.

Jay
USAF

spud400ex
01-21-2003, 01:37 PM
bump, bump, bump

spud400ex
01-21-2003, 08:57 PM
BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stocktires
01-22-2003, 09:23 AM
Sparks

spud400ex
01-23-2003, 03:04 PM
bump

propartsracing
01-23-2003, 03:17 PM
My husband has the LRD exhaust. He races the PRO Production class at the GNCC Nationals. He loves it. It gives you 6 horsepower right off the bat! He did really well with their engine & exhaust this year... placing 3rd in the class.

Good luck with your decision!

Trish ;)

spud400ex
01-24-2003, 02:32 PM
does LRD have a pipe with a spark arrester or is it an option, same with the sparks pipe.

stocktires
01-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by spud400ex
does LRD have a pipe with a spark arrester or is it an option, same with the sparks pipe.

sparks is optional, i believe a SA is $50 more

DESDAK4
01-24-2003, 02:35 PM
I am not sure about the Sparks but I am almost positive that the LRD and my Hetricks use a optional disc style spark arrestor.

Jay
USAF

propartsracing
01-24-2003, 03:43 PM
I just spoke with LRD & here's what they say:

If you buy a pipe w/ a spark arrester, the s/a is an additional $60; however, if you buy the s/a seperately, it costs $68. The retail prices are for the pipe are $434.95 for chrome w/ black annondized silencer... ceramic is $464.95.

Trish;)

lilpoppy
01-24-2003, 06:34 PM
I talked to Sparks 2 weeks ago and they said the spark arrestor was 100$ if i were to order it now. As far as the LRD giving you 6 hp that sounds hella high to me. I havn't heard of any exhaust giving more than 1.5 to 2 hp at most.

kj400
01-24-2003, 06:54 PM
The spark arrest must make a huge difference in the x-6,because my brother inlaws w/spark arrest is way quieter than my powerbong t4 set up.

spud400ex
01-25-2003, 03:54 PM
bump

250x#93
01-25-2003, 07:22 PM
I like the T4 but if I were you I'd go with the TC, Its one sweet pipe.

13RAZOR13
01-26-2003, 11:39 AM
we have a LRD we like it
LRD OR SPARKS ........
dont get a slip on, get the full system with big bore headers

spud400ex
01-26-2003, 12:23 PM
13razor13 i was thinking the same thing since i hope to get a 440 kit in the near future anyways.

spud400ex
01-27-2003, 02:33 PM

nacs400ex
01-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Anyone have any pics of a CT and a Sparks ? I like the LRD but I want to cut the pipe down and it would look stupid with half of the writing. Also How much do Bills Pipes Run at ??

13RAZOR13
01-27-2003, 07:46 PM
with our lrd when we first received it we polished off the name and buffed it out

Davids440ex
01-27-2003, 09:24 PM
the lrd

TRXMaddness
01-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Running a slip-on from HMF. Gives the 400EX great low-mid range power.

propartsracing
01-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
I talked to Sparks 2 weeks ago and they said the spark arrestor was 100$ if i were to order it now. As far as the LRD giving you 6 hp that sounds hella high to me. I havn't heard of any exhaust giving more than 1.5 to 2 hp at most.

LRD told us that it gives 6-8 more hp than stock exhaust depending on your jetting.

Trish

lilpoppy
01-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Check out this pipe shootout and you will see that the lrd only puts out 26.3 hp and stock is only somewhere around 25 or something like that. That is only like 1.3 hp increase. Here is the link check it out.

http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=30961

nacs400ex
01-28-2003, 07:48 PM
so does this mean LRD are garbage ????

Davids440ex
01-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
so does this mean LRD are garbage ????

if you have engine mods, LRD and sparks are the only way to go

propartsracing
01-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Check out this pipe shootout and you will see that the lrd only puts out 26.3 hp and stock is only somewhere around 25 or something like that. That is only like 1.3 hp increase. Here is the link check it out.

I don't know when that test was done, but it's pretty obvious that they used the "old" style pipe. LRD changed their 400EX pipe last March-April. I'll talk to Jason @ LRD tomorrow & clarify the specs shown in that shootout. Will post his reply tomorrow afternoon.

Trish

lilpoppy
01-28-2003, 11:05 PM
How old the shootout is isn't relevant im just saying that if you look at all the pipes you will notice that the most you can gain from the best pipe is 2 hp at best. Make sure they are refering to the amount of hp at the rear tires because that makes a huge difference number wise.

lilpoppy
01-28-2003, 11:08 PM
And no im not saying LRD pipes are garbage at all. I have the Spark's x-6 and i HIGHLY recomend it but if you can't afford it I would suggest the lrd.

01-29-2003, 12:15 AM
I have the Spark's x-6 and i HIGHLY recomend it but if you can't afford it I would suggest the lrd.

LMAO so the LRD is cheap then, hmmm wouldnt mind buying me one :) :rolleyes:

All the pipes mentioned are far from "affordable" OK maybe I am a little frugal but I am thinking for about 100.00 worth of pipe, welding, assembling and plating 400.00+ just aint cheap ;)

One thing I notice on most of the pipes and or silencers mentioned is how much they resemble the Suppertrapp with the discs. Sure some swapped the discs for a less expensive (and non forestry approved SA) open end cap but otherwise they are very close.

I have talked to Trishes husband Mike about the LRD and he has been running the one on his GNCC machine all last season and absolutely loves it. He is also sponsored by them so that may play a part but with all that use it still looked great at the end of the season.

Problem for me with LRD is that they try to "price fix" the price to us riders and though they will give larger discounts to place like rocky mountain etc they demand that no discounts be passed on to the end user (us). Those of you who have seen my posts on this subject know how I feel about that crap. Still seems to be a nicely made pipe though.

propartsracing
01-29-2003, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 400EX4me
I have talked to Trishes husband Mike about the LRD and he has been running the one on his GNCC machine all last season and absolutely loves it. He is also sponsored by them so that may play a part but with all that use it still looked great at the end of the season.

OK, just got off the phone with Butch from LRD. He said you can get anywhere between 3-9 HP over stock depending on where you are in the range with proper jetting.... most of the time you're right around 5HP over stock. He said that Arlen designs these pipes so they are hard off the bottom... corners where you need quick acceleration in racing. He doesn't build them based on peak HP, he builds them to accelerate where racers & trail riders need the most acceleration. It's hard on the bottom over the pipe curve, & at the finish it's about 5HP over stock. He said that the HP quote in the article link mentioned about is crap.

Regarding the other quote... yes, my husband is sponsored by LRD, however, we also run a business where our customers choose what pipe they want. 99% of our customers buy the LRD because they want to & they always come back & tell us how they love the look, fit, quality & performance of the exhaust. Again, it's KEY to have proper jetting. In the article, they used STOCK jetting which is a 138 main jet. Most racers we know use between a 165-170 main jet with an open air box lid. Also, alot of those shootouts are very political in the magazines. Next time you read a shootout, take into consideration who has the biggest ads in the magazine & see who won the shootout. Ex: one of the top ATV mags (don't want to mention any names) gets $4800-5400 per month for a full page ad depending on how long you commit to advertise with them. You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you!

Curtis Sparks pipes are really fast too, however, we've heard of alot of racers having problems with the silencers falling apart & poor service.

That's it for now... if anyone has any questions or wants some tech advice... just call & talk to Mike or Nick.

Thx,

Trish

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Just wanted to let anyone know who is considering a LRD exhaust that I run it and its an excellant system, I got mine from Pro Parts Racing, and they were wonderful to deal with, both LRD, and Pro Parts Racing get a big thumbs up from me :D

nacs400ex
01-29-2003, 03:06 PM
I was considering getting one I wanted either the Sparks, or the LRD. How are CT pipes ???

Newbie400ex
01-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Those hp increases sound very high. If you have a mildly modified engine making about 25-27 hp then an increase of 3-9hp is about 10-30%. I don't think a silencer alone can take the credit for big power gains anyway. I've seen advertisements that say a product makes X many more hp than stock and in the fine print you find out that many other components were changed as well. Power is not a one bolt on thing. All an engine does is pump air, the more air the more hp. Anything in the system that slows down the flow will make all the other components work well below their potential. What other components where changed in the tests besides the silencer and jetting? New carb,filters,porting,cams? It would be nice to see some dyno comparisons. I'm sure you can rejet and remove the airbox lid and get some gain even with a stock exhaust. Salesmen are going to tell you things that may not be a complete lie but not really the truth.;) Hard numbers is what we need! Dyno runs!! jmo.

lilpoppy
01-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Ok as far as you saying that these magazines are being paid off that is total B.S. ! Look and see who the winner was. SPARKS. Look through any magazine you can find and you won't find a single advertisement for sparks racing. Second of all did you ask if the hp numbers were at the rear tires or just total overall hp on the engine. Big difference! I'm not just going by that shootout alone I have been looking at various shootouts for years now and they all say the same thing. Now as far as Sparks service and quality myne hasn't had any problems and I don't know anyone who has and they alwase answer their phones and e-mails right away and everything i have ordered from them i get right away. 8 hp is a lot of power for a 400 pound quad and I gurantee 8 hp would have made a much bigger power increase if that were true.

01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Sorry if I was stirring the pot a little.

I got mine from Pro Parts Racing, and they were wonderful to deal with, both LRD, and Pro Parts Racing get a big thumbs up from me

Cant see why not. Pro Parts is about the best we have here in NJ.

Regarding the other quote... yes, my husband is sponsored by LRD, however, we also run a business where our customers choose what pipe they want. 99% of our customers buy the LRD because they want to & they always come back & tell us how they love the look, fit, quality & performance of the exhaust.
Trish I hope you didnt take that wrong. I have only met you guys a few times, but Mike, Nick and yourself have all been great to deal with and seem to be honest and very interested in our sport. Hopefully LRD will confess to those hp numbers being a little "tweeked" and get you off the hook b4 the members here think you are making up those numbers.

spud400ex
01-30-2003, 02:43 PM
bump

propartsracing
01-30-2003, 08:31 PM
All I can say is believe what you want to believe. I was just stating EXACTLY what Butch from LRD said. I believe that LRD is a very honest company who have a great staff working for them that develop high quality products that work awesome! Look who rides rides for them... GNCC #1 Bill Ballance, GNCC #2 Matt Smiley, #4 Chris Borich, #12 Rob Hertz, #19 Brandon Ballance, GNC#2 J. Jones (just switched), to name a few. I'm sure there's alot more in top Pro's that I missed. These guys wouldn't ride a product that doesn't work.

I gave Butch this website info so if he gets some time, he'll respond.

As far as some other comments from lilpoppy, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but we've been around the industry since the late 80's & have seen biased shootouts first hand. I'm not saying that this particular shootout was rigged, but it does happen. As for Sparks, he does make awesome products & very powerful motors, however I have to comment on what happened to a bunch of Mike's co-racers who had less than happy experiences with them. The person who started this thread wants to see the pro's & con's of all the products & it would be a dis-service to him to only talk about the pro's. If you have any con's about LRD, list them. Mike personally hasn't had any bad experiences with them, nor have our customers, so I can't list any con's for them.

Good luck with your decision Spud
Trish;)

01-31-2003, 07:00 AM
Jeremiah's not with Sparks anymore...:eek:

I guess I can't blame him..motor problems cost him the #1 plate this year in GNC MX...he was the fastest rider this year by far..but them sparks engines wouldn't run long enough to get him to the checkers...:(

But he also blew out Ballances at the ATV Olympics...that boy's hard on motors I think....:macho

spud400ex
02-03-2003, 01:35 PM

lilpoppy
02-03-2003, 05:32 PM
why are you bumping what else do you want to know?

Foxrage
02-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Anyone heard anything about CT they look like great pipes. so far the best for the Z's. What about for a 400ex