08ex4
11-22-2009, 11:26 PM
f

08ex4
11-22-2009, 11:27 PM
what do you think?

bkelley
11-22-2009, 11:44 PM
I never did care for the shaved fender look, especially on the rears. I mean, I understand it serves a purpose when racing, but unless it's specifically a track bike, why bother? To each his own I suppose.

08ex4
11-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Well yea i guess its what you like, i never like them either and thought they were pointless, but however i change my mind and they are ok , my main consern was mud geting on me but with my +3 arms the fenders didnt to anything anyway, but the air scoops i made out of the old fender i cut off didnt cost a thing and beat buying them

mitchconley
11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
this is the first 05+ that i have seen with shaved fenders. i think i like it

honda400ex2003
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
i wanna see a better shot of the scoops. lol. the cut fenders are not my forte especially on the new ones which i didnt like anyway lol. If you can get another shot of the side, i am really intrigued on how they are set up. thanks steve

slightlybent47
11-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I’m with you Steve, I can’t see much in those shots.
I was thinking about the same thing just the other day. And I even cut the two peaces I had cut off from before and tried to see if they would work. And it looked like it could be done. I kind of thought it might look cheep so I stopped and didn’t finish. I would like to see it done though it may change my mind.

08ex4
11-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Ok guys heres the best shots i can do right now i think they look tough on there, and as far as working, i dont see how they would be any diff then the bought ones. But while on subject of scoops i just got to get this off my chest.. The fox metal scoops they are selling, with fox symbol die cut out look great but are pointless, they are suppost to make air go towards the motor, lol i mean not through the dam scoop you put on to get more air onto your motor

08ex4
11-24-2009, 01:26 AM
x

08ex4
11-24-2009, 01:29 AM
the right side was tricky cause of the reverse

08ex4
11-24-2009, 01:30 AM
e

11-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Not to be rude but I don't like the quad that much. I just can't stand shaved fenders.. front or back... on any quad. There's a reason it comes with full fenders from the factory.

powermadd400ex
11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
i like it! i love yellow +05s, the rear fenders look awesome, and the airscoops are sick. very creative.

honda400ex2003
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
not too bad, i am not sure about the zip ties but it looks cool to have yellow to match the plastics. steve

08ex4
11-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I dont know why people keep giving me coments on the fenders, i put this on here for the scoops, and could care less who is into shavein fenders, cause you evidently dont know anything about racing, and whats the point of fenders when you have +3 arms on a 400, cause they stick out past the fenders anyway. I like the shaved fenders its makes 400ex's look alot better and im really happey about the rear fenders they look much better and dont flop around and look gay anymore

08ex4
11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
But thanks for you other guys, the support is nice and thanks for the comments

11-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I didn't mean to strike a nerve.. you were asking for opinions on the quad and I was saying mine.

I mean the fenders don't make a damn difference for racing. The weight savings are minimal and it's not like they slow you down. It's a quad not a fighter jet. And I don't care about +3 a-arms. I like full fenders for the style. And I don't like the rears cut, because you see that giant crease where the fender elevates and it's cut through at an angle, which makes it look like someone just hacked it off.

Everyone has opinions though. I personally don't care for the whole scheme but if you do then that's all that matters:)

bkelley
11-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by 08ex4
I dont know why people keep giving me coments on the fenders, i put this on here for the scoops, and could care less who is into shavein fenders, cause you evidently dont know anything about racing, and whats the point of fenders when you have +3 arms on a 400, cause they stick out past the fenders anyway. I like the shaved fenders its makes 400ex's look alot better and im really happey about the rear fenders they look much better and dont flop around and look gay anymore First off, you never said "hey what do you think of the homemade air scoops?" You just posted a bunch of pictures, the first of which you couldn't even really see the scoops, and said "What do you think?" It's only natural for people to comment on the bike as a whole. Second, it's obvious that quad isn't a track bike and I highly doubt your buddy cut the fenders for the performance gains. He did it because he likes the look, and that's fine. There's no need for you to get all bent out of shape because some people have different tastes than you do. Chill out, it's not even your quad...

KISSmyACE
11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Actually I hated cut fenders originally, but a couple weeks ago wrecked my bike and ruined the front fenders... so I had no choice but to get rid of them, at least until I buy new ones after Xmas. I took a sawzall to them, and remounted my reverse switch. I now have absolutely NO fenders up front.

The purpose for racing is that it allows more air flow for one, and two it's a benefit to be able to see what your bike is doing. You can see how the suspension, arms, and wheels move and surprisingly it helps (mostly for cornering) and is also kinda cool to watch. And yeah, if your bike is wider, then the fenders don't do much for you to protect you or anything any way.

The airscoops are cool, he did a good job with them.

slightlybent47
11-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I think they look pretty good. And he did a good job on them. They blend in and you don't realy see them. Not a bad idea to use the cut offs for that; I had thought about it my self but just never tried it.
I never like the cut fender look till I cut mine. I like them ether way. As for less wind drag I highly doubt cut fenders are going to make any deference on a quad. Besides if you cut the drag by cutting the finders but put scoops on it, that will replace the drag you lost from the fenders.

As for being able to see where your tire is, I say that’s not the way to get it done.
You should be able to feel where your tire is and just trust that you’re in the right groove . After you ride for awhile you should not have to look at the tire or where it’s tracking. That scenario should have already played out in your head before you ever got to the corner.
You should focus on what’s going on farther down the track and setting up for what’s coming up next. You should be ridding ahead of where you actually are on the track.

At least that the way I ride some may do it deferent.

08ex4
11-25-2009, 12:37 PM
yea i guess everyone has there opinions on stuff but he cut them cause we both feel the stock fenders are to big and floppy and its the worst on the back fenders, as for the guy that says i dont car about wider arms, all i am trying to say is the fenders have no control over sh** flying around and hiting you like mud and such because when you put +3 arms on something the tires stick out past the fenders anyway. I like it . it looks better than stock. thats the point