PDA

View Full Version : Which Year

ATVMX33
11-22-2009, 01:37 PM
i am thinking about building a trx from the ground up...what year is best for reliablity??
i heard the 05s have crank problems but the 06+ have tranny problems...it would be for MX

11-22-2009, 02:57 PM
04 05

kenny450er
11-22-2009, 03:05 PM
i rce 300ft sand drag,s but have read lot,s of the fourm,s on this site and in my opion seems most of them perfer the 04/05 model,s also have better fornt spindle,s just go back and read older fourms you will find the ansers you are looking for.

eastside 400
11-22-2009, 03:16 PM
each have their disadvantages, 04-05 crank problem really isnt bad, ive only gone through one crank in 4 years, running 2 bikes, i replace my cranks once a year though. also its a relatively cheap and easy fix if you can rebuild your own motors. The tranny problem on the 06+ is pretty bad, pretty much everyone expierences problems esp. MX racing, and they tend to lock up at the worst times at the tops of jumps and such. there really is no fix for the problem which is the worst, MXP and others have maching or hardened gears but that just prolongs the problem and doesnt solve anything. that being said, the 06+ motors are faster and will be competitive for most classes with just a piston and cam. the 04-05 need some more work but it still isnt bad. if you get a 06+ the 0405 spindles will work better but they arent that expensive, the good thing about the 0405 is that you can get them dirt cheap and they are all kickers. I like my 05's

ATVMX33
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
alright..sweet..thanks for the info
if i got a 05 is there a aftermarket crank that makes it stronger?
i can rebuild it by myself i just dont want to have to worry about it during race season

RideRaceLive93
11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
well actually a full blown race motor the 05 makes more power than the 06 due to larger port layout than the 06 and it not the crank itself it the big end rod bearing just get updated bearings or a new crank can hurt if your down there if you get a new crank make sure you get it balanced by crank works though or else itll just fall right apart and when you put in the bearing dont use a socket itll fall apart again really fast due everything right once and never have to do it again

eastside 400
11-22-2009, 07:05 PM
yea i was talking about how the 06+ is faster stock and even faster with some parts. Ive never gotten my new cranks balanced and you can use a socket to install the bearing, just dont use a hammer, use a press with a socket on the outer lip.

If you want a really good crank get a falicon super crank, they are the best out there but price tag on one is usually 800-1000 i believe, not 100% on price though

ATVMX33
11-22-2009, 07:42 PM
alright...how much does it cost for the bearings and a balanced crank??
thanks alot!!

eastside 400
11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
well the cranks come ready to install from honda but people do send them to get balanced by other companies which is a good thing to do if you have the money to. ive always installed mine right from honda, check out servicehonda.com for cheap OEM parts, the cranks come with one side of the main bearings, i cant remember but something wants to make me say left but im not sure. for all parts just for crank, bearing and seals would be around 400 im guessing. but i would replace more seals and bearings if you have it that far.

Butter
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I would go with a '04-'05. Like stated before, the crank problems really aren't problems. Only neglect will allow it to be a problem. Been running both my 450Rs on the same orginal crank with no problems at all. Both '05s. The '06+ are faster with less work, but speed is all in the rider. Power helps, but the rider makes the difference. And yeah, the '06+ tranny problems are in fact problems. No matter how much you take care of the bike, it comes up, and bites you. And I've seen that happen sometimes only a month or so apart from a rebuild. That's the reason I don't go with a newer bike.

airmobile101
11-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Butter
I would go with a '04-'05. Like stated before, the crank problems really aren't problems. Only neglect will allow it to be a problem. Been running both my 450Rs on the same orginal crank with no problems at all. Both '05s. The '06+ are faster with less work, but speed is all in the rider. Power helps, but the rider makes the difference. And yeah, the '06+ tranny problems are in fact problems. No matter how much you take care of the bike, it comes up, and bites you. And I've seen that happen sometimes only a month or so apart from a rebuild. That's the reason I don't go with a newer bike.

I don't think it matters what year, if your racing it, its gonna break regardless. The engine has to be pulled and split in both scenarios.

ATVMX33
11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
looks like i am getting a 2005 and then building it...not totally sure yet though
thanks for the help

Butter
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
I don't think it matters what year, if your racing it, its gonna break regardless. The engine has to be pulled and split in both scenarios.

Well yeah, things break. And MX is definitely not easy on the bike, BUT asking this question basically says what year would hold up better for a season of racing, not forever. I believe everything should be rebuilt in the off season, but I would expect what I replace to hold up to a season under normal circumstances. There's no way of preventing breakage. Its basically fate. If its going to break, its going to break. If you find it before it breaks, then you were meant to find it. This topic basically asks in routine racing, rebuilding, etc, what would be a better year of the bike.

lowbudget36
11-23-2009, 08:53 PM
do not worry about the 05 crank deal. they are now built differently and made to last so much more. so if you order a stock 05 crank right now, it'll be the new redesigned ones. you can make an 05 faster.

veenser2000
11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
first off i doubt he is going to get the motor to its peak potential so why would the 05 make more power for him? Just by asking this question it is obvious that he wont build the 05 motor to full potential... the 06+ does make more power for less money in the begining so i think it would be the best bet for him. Ive had an 04 and now i have an 07 and dont regret a thing... many updates make it a better bike for the AVERAGE rider... just not the pro racer even though most pros are now running the newer machines...

blacknblue#2
11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Your best to do basically what i have done. mine is an 05/06/07 haha. Take whats good off what years and make them work. I went with the 07 motor. I had 2 04s and an 05 back in the day and went through numerous cranks. Ill admit i went through one crank on my 07 but only one. and as for the tranny problems...well i have no clue about that. I dont think you can give a set of gears anymore abuse than i do and have never had a problem with mine. I check them for problems every winter when i tear down.

ATVMX33
11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
i will probably get the engine ported and racing cams...my main concern is reliability not getting every hp out of it

fastredrider44
11-24-2009, 01:03 PM
How much do you plan on riding it in a season? That's be a factor. BTW, the Honda only has one cam. For me, I race XC, and still like my 05 models, but if I were to race MX, I would probably look more towards the 06 up just due to the motor. The transmissions really aren't that bad til you start building it for mega power.

ATVMX33
11-24-2009, 01:11 PM
i will be racing about every weekend...plus i have a track at my house that i train on...so i put alot of hrs on them...

fastredrider44
11-24-2009, 02:02 PM
05, Change the oil often and always keep a clean air filter!

ATVMX33
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
05, Change the oil often and always keep a clean air filter!

i always change my oil every race and filter every ride so thats not a problem..haha..thanks

73watermutt
11-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I have had an '04, '05 and now an '07 and I prefer my '07. I never had any issues with any of them though.