PDA

View Full Version : milling a cyinder????

bigbad400
11-22-2009, 08:36 AM
say i have a warped cylinder.... can i have someone mill the gasket surface so i can make the head gasket seal?

will that raise compression?

if you can have these motors milled like that any recommendations or warnings or anything i should know before hand? thanks in advance.

speedfreek
11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I would think it's possible. How warped would be the question. And yes this would raise your compression.

I would just suggest checking piston to head and valve clearance after the milling is done.

bigbad400
11-23-2009, 07:45 AM
anyone ever had this done or would you suggest just getting a new cylinder for the 270 its gonna cost to have gt thunder studs too.

F-16Guy
11-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Should be pretty cheap and easy for any machine shop to remove the studs and surface both the cylinder and the head. The amount of material removed should be minimal, so you probably won't see too much difference in compression.

bigbad400
11-23-2009, 08:43 AM
what about valve clearances? will the piston smack the valves if im not carefull?

i know ill need to adjust the valves just wondering.

katch26
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
youll need to clay check to make sure you still have the clearances. Preferably before you take it in and then they will determine the safe amount to take off and then check again. but you have to know exactly how much its warped and what it would take to get it within specs

brian76708
11-23-2009, 02:01 PM
you sure your head is not whats warped?

odog
11-23-2009, 10:32 PM
mines been milled. when i first got my stroker kit put in an went riding my airbox started filling up with oil through my filter the longer i rode i kept filling a loss in power and started bogging a little bit.the bike never cut off so i new something was wrong checked the airbox and oil was every where so i called my mechanic he came and picked my bike up and told me it was warped. we had a nice argument because he takes it to a local machine shop to get all the boring and machine work done. he said he never checked to see if the head was warped because thats not a common problem for my bike so a little bit on money later. i was running strong again.