PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing a Handlebar

CJM
11-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I really need a better handlebar, the kid I bought my EX off of IDK what the heck is on there but its a really low rise bar tag barand im way to big for it.Im about 6ft tall, 185lbs and the bar seems way to low basically.

Looking for opinions on what rise and such to get. Got my eye on some pro-taper se's and felt that maybe they might be worth it.

I found some bends that may/may not work, idk really since I dont have the things in front of me and the dealer has like no choices. rocky mtn has a list of the rises http://www.rockymountainatv.com/handlebarinfo.do

-Henry/reed bar is 31.5 inches long 3.7 inches high and has a 2.17 inch pull back might not be high enough or pull back far enough?

-Mid bend 32.00" long, 5.90" high 3.00 pull back what I think I need.

-High Bend 32.00" long, 6.30" high, 3.94" pull back maybe to high?

-Raptor Bend 30.30" long, 5.63" high, 3.41" pull back idk might be to short width wise? but perfect pullback it seems

All I can tell ya is I have an older beatup Zuk 230cc sport and like the bar bend on that alot, its a higher bar and AFAIK totally stock.

Also interested in some nice comfy grips

So anyone got some advice?

Wildbrain
11-22-2009, 02:51 AM
I have the MSR Dominator handlebars with the ATV High bend and they work real well for me.

Kinda a big guy with long legs and I dont have any problems with the bars hitting my legs.

bigbad400
11-22-2009, 08:52 AM
i like the fly bars myself but i have a low bend cuz im short, as far as grips the spider a3 grips have bean the beast and ive had lots of dif grips. and fyi the odi lock-on grips sssssuuuccckkk!!!!!! they feel like condoms on your handlebars when wet, and they are plain not cushy enough to prevent blisters. dont waste money on them when the spider grips are 10 bucks

Strokin'400
11-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey man I have the pro taper s.e. series in atv high bend mounted on stock stem,and there excellent, I'm 6'2" and they don't hit my legs or anything and there wide enough for my arms to be at a comfortable position sitting or standing. Send me a pm and I'll send you a picture of my wheeler with those bars on it. You can see what the look like mounted.

Team X
11-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Here is a good pic showing Pro taper ATV high bend and stock bars:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc8/Nvasu4333/APRILLEEX400.jpg

-TheDude-
11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
go with motocross bars pro taper se mid bend

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/gconaway/Me/1724.jpg

CJM
11-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, im not 100% sure yet-gonna see if I might be able to kinda mock up what the bars might be like on my EX in the next few days.

honda400ex2003
11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
i like my t-2 that are high bend. i have some 1 1/8 " conversion risers and they seem to be just about the same height as stock. they are only 1.25" risers though that mount on the stock stuff. you could get something like the rox risers and raise it up as far as you like. just an option for you. steve

CJM
11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I dont think risers will work with the current bar, imho I know someone crashed the quad before I got it and fixed it and the bars are SOOO low its insane.

honda400ex2003
11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
if your clamps and stem are straight then any riser will work. any bnar combo will work also. steve

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=256

this would be a nice setup with these or the anti vibe ones. then any bar will work no matter the height. you can pick a low bend and raise it 3 inches and you would be at the stock height.

CJM
11-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh im not saying it wont work per se, im saying no amount of rise will fix the fact I hate the pullback and height overall.

CJM
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
So anyone got any more opinions?

High or mid bend is pretty much where I sit now. Leaning hard towards the high bend tbh.

honda400ex2003
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
any aftermarket bar will be better than a stock one. i like my tag, renthals are nice, you just have to pick the bend you want to try and buy it. if it is too low then you will have to get a riser. if you dont like them sell them on ebay or on here and try another set. bars are something you just have to try for yourself everyone has a different model they like best. my tags are a lot wider, a bit more of a bend back and not as tall as a stock bar, they dont vibrate nearly as bad as the stock ones so it didnt matter. i wanted tag t-2s that were black for the longest time so i bought them. it did not matter how they were, i wanted them so i bought them. just an idea of how i picked mine. steve

CJM
11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice. Guess ill just have to try trial and error.

Your right tho, can always resell them or send them back to the store.

bkelley
11-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
if your clamps and stem are straight then any riser will work. any bnar combo will work also. steve

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=256

this would be a nice setup with these or the anti vibe ones. then any bar will work no matter the height. you can pick a low bend and raise it 3 inches and you would be at the stock height. I was just looking at these. Was wondering if they would work as a cheap alternative to a +2 stem. Overall I'm happy with my current setup, I'd just like it to be a little taller.

honda400ex2003
11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
the anti vibe ones are supposed to be really sweet i almost bougth some until i saw the price:eek2: i couldnt come up with that much after buying a bunch of other stuff for my bars. lol. steve

NacsMXer
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
the anti vibe ones are supposed to be really sweet i almost bougth some until i saw the price:eek2: i couldnt come up with that much after buying a bunch of other stuff for my bars. lol. steve

I just bought a set of 2 inch pivoting Rox Elite risers on Ebay for 70 brand new. Works on both 7/8" and 1 1/8" bars. You don't need that antivibe stuff.

I've done a lot of experimenting with bar bends and what not. I know what works for me and the type of riding I do. If you do a lot of stand-up aggressive riding, then there's a couple things you want in a handlebar bend. The first thing is enough height. I am only 5' 7" but I like a taller handlebar. I hate being hunched/bent over excessively when riding standing up...it crowds you and doesn't allow for full control over the quad. The second thing you need is a lack of sweep. Like stock handlebars, too much sweep doesn't allow the best control over the quad when standing. Your elbows get too tucked in and it's just not the best position.

I'm not the biggest fan of "ATV bend" handlebars because they generally have too much sweep/pullback compared to "dirtbike" bends. They are good for "weekend warriors" I guess, but I personally couldn't live with them long term. The one thing they do have is good height, but they always come with too much sweep for my tastes. I wouldn't go much over 65mm of pullback (about 2.5 inches). For the Protaper ATV high's, theres 3.94 inches of pullback, that's a good bit.

I would suggest either CR High bends (very popular bend, natural feeling bar, good pullback at 2.36", but lacking a little on the height) with 1.25" block or 2" pivoting Rox risers to make up for the height. Specs for the CR High bend are: SE Jet Black Handlebar - CR High Bend (31.50" Width x 3.74" Height x 2.36" Pullback)

or

If you don't want bar risers to make up the height the KX High bend may be perfect for you. Excellent height and good pullback. KX High specs: SE Jet Black Handlebar - KX High Bend (31.50" Width x 4.25" Height x 2.21" Pullback). You could certainly add a riser for extra height if you like as well.

Compare to the "ATV bends" which all have good height/width, but too much damn pullback IMO. ATV low: 3.30" pullback, ATV mid: 3.00" pullback, ATV high: 3.94" pullback.

CJM
11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Im gonna try a mid bend atv bar first in pro taper SE. Its right in between the right height, pull back and width of the CR high bend. Its near the correct height with a riser and the pullback is only half an inch more-I suppose I can always bend it in my vise or something if I dont like it lol.

If I dont like the bar, all it costs me is shipping it back or I can resell it on ebay or something..

Thanks for the great advice Nacs

SPDSNYPR
11-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Another option if you don't want to buy and try to resell a bunch of bar is bending them. I got an ATV-high bend set of MSR bars and hated how much sweep they had. I didn't want to play the shipping game. I got a torch, heated them up near the bends, and tweaked them with a cheater bar until they were where I wanted them. Went slow and bent them a little at a time. Worked great. Wire wheeled the black crap off of them, and some gloss black spray paint made them look really good. Whole process took a few hours (mainly the painting), and cost me nothing. They have held up to the weekend trail riding I do.

Of course, you have to find the height you like first - I went to a few bike shops in town to find some I liked in the right color. Wuld have preferred not having a cross-bar, but not a huge deal once I got used to them.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/jlatzke/quads/IMG_0612.jpg

CJM
11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Exactly, if i dont like the bend i modify it if need be. Got me a nice torch to do so with.

honda400ex2003
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
perfect get crazy with it then lol. steve