PDA

View Full Version : Bad crank seals?

roadthrills
11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Banshee won't start unless I shove rags in the carb throats. Then on full choke it will start up and quickly start revving to the moon. I have unhooked all the TORS stuff. Does this sound like bad crank seals, or an air leak of some sort?

roadthrills
12-24-2009, 09:32 AM
It's all torn down right now. Had a bad right crank seal and the rings are shot. Hot rods crank, wiseco Pro-lites, just waiting to be put back together.

tyleroar
12-24-2009, 10:38 PM
so are you suggesting that you are getting an alternative fuel source from your gear oil? doubt it.there is nothing electronic on the throttle other than the throttle over ride sensor. the only thing that can do electronicly is keep you from revving to the moon so that has nothing to do with it . take off your air system so you can look at the back of your carbs and make sur your slides are down next time you try it out then post your results and make sure both carbs are doing the same thing. bad crank seals will make you drop compression

roadthrills
12-25-2009, 04:30 PM
No, the gear oil is in a totally separate chamber than the crank. If a crank seal is bad it will suck air through the seal to the outside of the engine. Normally resulting in an extremely lean mixture, which causes the engine to rev. The rings were also shot due to an overbore and the ports left unchamfered. Makes a real nice oil scraper that way, and wears out rings.

tyleroar
12-26-2009, 09:05 AM
hey, you ever go out to red river? we ride at Idabel OK

roadthrills
12-28-2009, 07:34 AM
I wish! My wife hurt her shoulder and can't work, so I'm the only one with income. All the money goes to bills and theres never any extra. Maybe in a year or two everything will be paid off and the real fun will begin!

dave5.0
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Just noticed you said bad right crank seal? Is that right while sitting on the bike? That would make it the clutch side which would suck gear/clutch oil. I guess it was the stator side?

tyleroar
12-28-2009, 09:46 PM
i hate to hear that its impossible for us to go riding and we are both working but no OT anymore

roadthrills
12-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by dave5.0
Just noticed you said bad right crank seal? Is that right while sitting on the bike? That would make it the clutch side which would suck gear/clutch oil. I guess it was the stator side?

Nope, I meant right side. It probably was sucking a little gear oil also. The crankcase is not sealed airtight. It is vented at the top. If a leak ever develops from either crank seal on any 2-stroke, it will run lean and burn up, or not run at all. Same thing on the exhaust of a 2-stroke. If it becomes loose it can cause a lean/hot burn and scorch the exhaust side of the pistons. I fix a lot of jet skis that need new top ends thanks to loose manifolds.

tyleroar
12-29-2009, 09:09 PM
never lost one that way but its alot of go info itll make you check th spring more often and o-rings

dave5.0
12-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Guess it depends where it's leaking on the seal I guess. Hi or low. I bought a beater a few months back and it's smoking a lot and runs a little off. Was told it probalby needs crank seals. I 'm gong to put together a cheapo leak tester and see what I come up with before I tear it all down.