PDA

View Full Version : 06 head on 05 motor??

250rPRIDE
11-21-2009, 11:47 AM
my good friend has a older 05 head that tc ported for him, its a good head with ti valves great porting ect.. but tom wants to port a new head for him since he did that one 5 years ago, and i have a 2006 450er with stock head will this work if we swap?? i was going to give him my stock head for new port work and he was going to give me a good deal on the ported 05 head...
thanks

blacknblue#2
11-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Not a bolt on swap. It takes machining. We done it about 2 years ago because we junked an 05 head and had an 06 head on the shelf. I dont suggest it at all unless you either know a good machinist or are a good machinist. so i guess what im sayin is no it wont work haha.

250rPRIDE
11-21-2009, 03:56 PM
oh i can get one machined what all did it reqiure?
how was the preformance? better or worse
thanks

blacknblue#2
11-22-2009, 09:16 PM
i forget the exact machining. you can tell my comparing the 2 heads side by side. If i remember right it was mainly just the co-bores for the dowel pins so that the head could not get cocked. It ran a little better with the 06 head.

fmfhonda250r
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
ya the pins are in different spots, the 06 and newer heads are .060 shorter than the 05 head, so if you put a 06 head on a 05 your compression will go up and you get more power that way

250rPRIDE
11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
ok well thats not to big of a deal.. what about the diff bore sizes? that doesnt cause any problems at all?

blacknblue#2
11-26-2009, 09:08 PM
As far as i know im gonna say no it dont cause any issues.. Its only .078 difference. There are ppl that bore sleeves out farther than that and never change any head work. So i guess it would be in the clear.

11-26-2009, 09:36 PM
why go threw all the trouble when you can just port your head yourself?? its not that hard. just look at some pics of other peoples heads and there work and try and copy it. and take the middle layer out of the head gaskit and it will bump up your compression a little bit. thats what i did. had my dad do the head in it(works on harleys as a side job)(build his harley motor) and i couldent be happier.

250rPRIDE
11-27-2009, 02:44 PM
thats fine and i have ported heads before but there is a science to it for sure. tc is one of the best engine builders in the country and knows his porting he has been building race motors for a lot of the pros for years and he does it all himself. machining and everything. so if i can get one of his heads for almost nothing id be crazy not to, but ya i have some buds that messed with their own porting and the ones that run good will tell you they got lucky and a few will tell you they just plain out screwed it all up..

2muchquad
12-24-2009, 10:20 PM
while i am the first to condone somebody for getting their hands dirty and doing things themselves,somethings should be be left to the pros.However a so called PRO isnt always the best option,take sparks,tc,ct racing and the top 20 engine builders out there and put them against one another,somebody has to come in last place correct?So moral of story is just because a big name may have worked on it doesnt mean its the final say or best one ever.;) In my world finances dictate what i can and cant have:)

250rPRIDE
12-25-2009, 11:53 AM
and thats what i am saying.. i can get a tc "pro" ported head for nothing... he didnt want any $ differance and thats why i started this thread to see if it would work.. i have seen over 20-30 homemade port jobs and mabe 5 of them worked good. some were better than stock but not worth the work... i am a diy'er for sure i dont pay anyone to work on my house, cars, atvs, streetbikes, sleds, ect.. i dont come from money and anytime i ever had anything break i had to fix it myself if i wanted to keep using it.. and i also agree i have seen where some of these pro's get to big and start doing shotty work after they make a name for themselves.. but we are getting off track. all i wanted to know if this would work swaping heads, but as of now i dont care because i sold the 450r.. but thanks for all the responses.
merry christmass