PDA

View Full Version : cast cylinder

honda400ex2003
11-20-2009, 05:20 PM
hey guys i am checking to make sure the 400 cylinder is cast aluminum. I am typing a paper on casting and would like to use it as a good example with all of the fins and such that have to be designed and formed. i believe it is cast anyway. if not can you let me know what it is. I was also thinking it was forged but was leaning toward cast. thanks steve

drew416ex
11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
yes the cylinder is cast aluminum, but the sleeve is cast iron. forging is when you have a chunk of metal that is repeatedly pressed between a series of dies until it forms the shape needed.
Forged parts are much stronger than cast or machined parts, but costs more for the machinery in most applications to do so. I know thats more than you needed to know though. Ill shut up now. :)

honda400ex2003
11-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks bro, no need to shut up about that it is a good topic to help everyone learn about. i have an integrated design and manufacturing class that we went over most of the metal forming processes. I was curious and did not want to write my midterm on the wrong subject. now i can use both the sleeve and the cylinder itself. thanks steve