PDA

View Full Version : 250r lover not sold on 450r. feedback!?

250rPRIDE
11-19-2009, 04:19 PM
well i love my 250r's more than anything, but i jumped on a 2006 450er with about 6 hours on it for 2100. 100% stock tires are 75%, its in real great shape like new, i have rode at least 10 diff 450's but never owned one, after riding a while i just dont like it as much as a 250r or 400ex.. will i get use to it? i ride a lot of woods more than anthing, and i know i could smoke this on a good 400ex with equal riders, and kill it on my 250r. it just feels small and bumpy with little bottom end, the thought 4 thumpers were all torque and bottom end?? but all you 250r owners that got a 450r, let me know what you think, i could make a easy 500 on this r or should i give it time and keep it for a daily runner to help keep the 250r nicer for longer :D
thanks

250rPRIDE
11-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, also like yourself, not trying to be a dic, but how can i ask 450r owners to compare one to a 250r if they dont own one and most never even rode one!!, ha.. i know that there are a lot of 250r fans that bought a 450r and those are the people i want feedback from, not just a guy that knows a 450r and thats it.
thanks

deathman53
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I rode several 450r's, I only liked one, it had top shelf parts and setup right. I rode a 05 that was setup by the same guy and it wasn't bad at all. On the other side, I rode 05, 06, 07 and 08, I hated them. It all comes down to who and how the suspension, chassis parts and such are done. Too many people out there put any shock on different brand a-arms, don't adjust the clinkers and even use stock shocks on extended a-arms, caster/camber and tie-in have big effects on how it handles also. I did come to one conclusion, 06+ spindles are the worst.

250rPRIDE
11-19-2009, 05:59 PM
i also heard that the spindles on 06+ years are bad but how much of a differance can that make over the 04-05 ones.. i will research it. i dont want to turn this into a 450r topic, just looking for everyones view, vs. the 250r
thanks

rockingkfarms
11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I have both the 250 and 450R as well as owning other 450's. I wouldn't trade any of the 250R's in my garage for the 450R. Btw, the spindles and the transmissions on the '06 and up leave a lot to be desired.

oachs83
11-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I owned a 2005 Honda 450r and it was fun. You have to ride it like a two stroke to get the lower end going like slipping the clutch and what not. I found that buying a Boyessen quickshot 2 for the carb made it hit real well on the bottom end and is well worth the $100. Final conclusion I just kept riding my 250r much more than the 450r. The way I see it is the 450r is more of a step sister to the 250r. I ended up selling the 450 and don't miss it all that much. If you have the money you can make the 450 very fun. But for $2100 that is a very good price and if you have the spare cash go for it.

troybilt
11-19-2009, 08:41 PM
I own both and absolutely love both, they are two totally different animals. I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other cause what good does it ever do? This argument goes over about as well as the ol'Republican vs. Democrat discussions on here... People feel strongly both ways...

If you're comfortable with a 250r stick with those, buy the 450 and make a good buck or two. 2100 is a deal no way around it. I'd jump on it... I've been looking at 450's for sale for about 6 months and have not seen a 6 hour'd used one for 2100... sounds like one of those "to good to be true" type deals to me. Make sure there isn't anything wrong with it, do your homework.

atvmxr
11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
450r's (2005 that I got for cheap) are fun to have, but I would never give up a 250r to have one... for me its just a little more rowdy than a 350x. fun to play around on, great backup quad to take along, something relatively tame to ride in the National Forest, good for a mellow night ride in the dunes or what have you, girlfriend to ride, etc. etc.

250r is still my #1 between them

red88r
11-19-2009, 11:26 PM
I have owned a 2004 yfz and many 250r's and I gotta say nothing compares overall to a 250r. I have also ridden a fully setup 2004 yfz,2005 450r,2007 450r and that is the only way I personally would ride one. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with them stock but I like them wider and more hp. And I hate to say but the yfz feels the closest to the 250r in my opinion.
My dad just bought back my brother's 2004 yfz which is box stock for 1500. It needs a rebuild and the plastic is faded pretty bad, other than that it is in good shape. So if you can get that one for 2100 that's pretty good. But like troybilt said stick with what ur comfortable on. Myself I am gonna stick with my r's.

RyanWsly
11-20-2009, 05:34 AM
You won't like the 450R till you change the suspension, and perk up the engine some. I'm not sure what your 250r is set up like, but you have to keep in mind what you have added to it, stock 450R is lacking for sure against a slightly modded 250R. I have both and like both, have no intensions of selling either, I rode the 450R the most this year, but it was new to me, FYI mine is a 05 model, have heard the newer ones are lacking but can't speak from experience. After doing some slight work to my 450R, mainly front shocks and a GT thunder link, and doing some HRC mods plus full exhaust mine ride basically the same as far as chassis, power is a little different, but I can hop from one to the other easily.

skyeryder
11-20-2009, 06:59 AM
If your 250r's are built then there is no comparison, but if you build that 450 $$$$ you can make it close to as much fun. But I just purchased a CT310 R this spring and since then I haven't rode the 450 half as much. I had a another CT330 10 years ago I guess I had forgot how much fun the R's are. In fact I'm trying to find someone to trade my 450 for a XC250R the one I have now is set-up for MX. I guess some of it might also depend on if your gonna race or just rec ride? Also if your wanting to find sponsors most will probably want there stuff on a 450:confused:

Ruf Racing
11-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I own both and absolutely love both, they are two totally different animals. I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other cause what good does it ever do? This argument goes over about as well as the ol'Republican vs. Democrat discussions on here... People feel strongly both ways...

^^Agreed^^ I have both, the 250r is a mild port 270 with Ishock
suspension. The 450r is a 04/501 with stock suspension. I ride
trails and farm fields, mild jumping. I love them both equally!
Although with the 450 being bored and stroked it will walk on
250. The future does hold a big bore setup for the 250. I would
not replace either. Both are a blast!:macho Go Honda !!!!

troybilt
11-20-2009, 08:26 AM
If you asked which one I prefer riding I would honestly say my 450, but if you asked me which one I'd be buried with, I'd say my 250r... :)

I prefer the power delivery of my 450, its easier to ride and ride fast, doesn't wear me out as much. The 250 takes more skill and clutch work to ride fast but can be just as fast and cheaper to work on. I guess I'm getting lazier in my old age. I like leaving it in 3rd and hammering the throttle. It will flat haul when i want it to, and can put around if needed. I'm building my new 250r for XC and to have a similar power delivery so stay tuned.

1989trx250r
11-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Ive had a 250R for a while now and just purchased a 2005 450R. I love them both, but the 450 is much easier to ride and tamer to "put" around on, but has the power there if you need it. My 450 has a 480 bore and the pipe is gutted. The carb has been set up for these mods. This was all done before I got it and its been a great bike for the month that I have owned it. Gotta love both of them for different reasons.

danhung11
11-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by skyeryder
In fact I'm trying to find someone to trade my 450 for a XC250R the one I have now is set-up for MX. I guess some of it might also depend on if your gonna race or just rec ride? Also if your wanting to find sponsors most will probably want there stuff on a 450:confused:

Let's get some details on this on this 450R... my email is daniel.k.hung@gmail.com. Where are you located? It has to be a kicker only, none of the ER crap.

If you search my screen name, you will see what my XC R looks like currently. It is down to the frame and should be dropped off at the coaters in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Dan

250rPRIDE
11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
thanks for all the replies, lots of good info. i dont hate the 450 just not was i expected, but i may sell it and look for a 04-05 kick start.. but it will be hard to beat this deal, and find a nother one this nice, i dont want a p.o.s. that i have to work on all the time, i mess with the 250 enough. ha. but the 04-05 is what everyone seems to like a lot better. keep the feedback coming.

troybilt
11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
thanks for all the replies, lots of good info. i dont hate the 450 just not was i expected, but i may sell it and look for a 04-05 kick start.. but it will be hard to beat this deal, and find a nother one this nice, i dont want a p.o.s. that i have to work on all the time, i mess with the 250 enough. ha. but the 04-05 is what everyone seems to like a lot better. keep the feedback coming.

I don't know where this 04/05 is alot better, comes from. The only thing better is the spindles and hubs, so spend 100 bucks and get the 04/05 spindles and hubs... its not hard. Other than that the 06+ plus has a better carb, (FCR) no crank issues like 04/05. Get on the trx450r.org and find out for yourself... If you don't like electric start, you can convert it to kick. I personally prefer the electric start. I'm 30 with a bum knee and electric is the way to go for me, I've had 0 problems. Goodluck, I'll shut up now.

red88r
11-20-2009, 08:32 PM
My brother wishes he would have never sold his 05 450r. He now has an 07 set up the same way as the 05 was and he said his 05 was faster. I also know alot of the pros switched back to 04/05 esp. the 05 cuz I guess the tranny was better. I know Joe Byrd did for sure. Both of his were bought kick start only also. And I gotta admit his 05 did seem a bit better. Doug Gust came and raced at Tigerton, WI a few years back and my brother pulled a fat holeshot on everyone, including him. Then again honda's always seem to do good on starts. Although his 07 just does'nt seem to have what his 05 did. Never had any problems with either of the motors. Jmo.

troybilt
11-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by red88r
My brother wishes he would have never sold his 05 450r. He now has an 07 set up the same way as the 05 was and he said his 05 was faster. I also know alot of the pros switched back to 04/05 esp. the 05 cuz I guess the tranny was better. I know Joe Byrd did for sure. Both of his were bought kick start only also. And I gotta admit his 05 did seem a bit better. Doug Gust came and raced at Tigerton, WI a few years back and my brother pulled a fat holeshot on everyone, including him. Then again honda's always seem to do good on starts. Although his 07 just does'nt seem to have what his 05 did. Never had any problems with either of the motors. Jmo.

I guess it didn't sound to me like he was a pro rider and it was a stock bike. It was a good buy on a bike and he wonder if he should buy it. If I was to buy a new 450 today and could get an 05 new I would probably do it. Then I'd fix the crank issue and go on, but I wouldn't shy away from a good deal on an 06+, 2100 is a steal, IMO. Honestly if I had the money, I'd build a badd *** 250r, vs. buying a 450, but I don't regret one bit buying my 450r. It'll open some eyes in the dunes which is where I ride 90% of the time.

red88r
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I hear ya on buliding a sick R if money was not a factor troybilt. I am always lookin for good deal on a 450r-whether its in good shape or a rebuilder. Just have not found one yet. Course I'm not lookin that hard either. Even though it's a yamaha I should have jumped on my brother's old one for 1500 which my dad picked up. Seem to be alot of 400's around for sale. 450's won't be that far behind.

Ruf Racing
11-21-2009, 07:02 AM

If you build the 450 up with bore and stroke, ported head, quality exhaust. It will be more than you expect! :D

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/RideRed187/450R%20Pics/Ruthspics6-1.jpg

250rPRIDE
11-21-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't know where this 04/05 is alot better, comes from. The only thing better is the spindles and hubs, so spend 100 bucks and get the 04/05 spindles and hubs... its not hard. Other than that the 06+ plus has a better carb, (FCR) no crank issues like 04/05. Get on the trx450r.org and find out for yourself... If you don't like electric start, you can convert it to kick. I personally prefer the electric start. I'm 30 with a bum knee and electric is the way to go for me, I've had 0 problems. Goodluck, I'll shut up now.

Troy i dont know anything for sure i have been a 250r guy for over 10 years, i am just going off my research, they say 04-05's run better which i dont understand how, because i read 06's have 12 to 1 compaired to 10.5 to 1, better port design, 40mm fcr, ti valves, increased air flow, lighter piston ect.. ha only diff is a shorter stroke but larger bore. so why a 06 wouldnt stomp a 05 is beyond me, also they say spindles are "night and day", not sure if they could be that much better but hey?? and claims that 06+ trannys are no where near the 04-05's. plus i read in many reviews that a kicker will out run a elec. and they dont know why.. like i said i dont know much about any of it, just doing my homework and this is what the 450r guys are saying
thanks
ps i found a 2004 kicker with full yosh pipe, pro pegs, and a few other little goodies, the guy says its real nice for 2000 and i am still working on him.. should i buy this one and sell the 06 for a profit?? if i make 500 or so then i would only have 1500 in the 2004.. what do you think..

sorry if this is to much 450r talk..but its interesting to me and i like feedback from 250r guys.thanks

troybilt
11-21-2009, 09:51 AM
To be honest, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. JMO, but the 06 sounds like it is a cherry low-hour bike, the 04 could be a little rough maybe??

I have an 06ER and it runs extremely well, and I'm very happy with it... From what I read, stock to stock the 06+ is a faster bike, now it takes less mods to make an 04/05 faster than an 06+ both modded for MX. My point is this, for the money unless you are competing/racing and need every competitive advantage, you'd be just fine/happy with the 06+ bike. My 06, has a Webcam, full LRD exhaust, and some other minor mods and it flat out hauls, plus excellent reliability. You could do the same and it will take a fully modded 250r 300+ cc's, to even come close in a sand drag, plus be able to putt around with it in the woods. I just don't think you'll gain much by switching to an 04/05 and you might be disappointed. The 04/05's when run hard have a crank bearing issue, some never experience it but about 50/50 do, one thing you don't want to happen is spend 2000 on a bike and have to dump another 2500 in the bottom end, cause that's what it will cost you, (welcome to 4stroke world :)) and you'll never see that 4500 again... they just don't bring that much money.

Here's what I do for what its worth, take the 06 bike put about 1000 into with with used Dasa or Curtis Sparks full exhaust, get a stage II Hotcam, or Webcam, remove the airbox lid and then see what you think.

As far as hubs/spindles, yes I've got both 06 and 05 hubs and spindles and it is NIGHT AND DAY different, I don't know why Honda screwed that up. Without the 04/05 hubs/spindles it turns like crap seriously, pushes in the corners... NO BS.

250rPRIDE
11-21-2009, 10:50 AM
ok. sounds good. i got the guy down to 1900 for the 04 but i didnt see it yet. chances are his nice is not my nice, ive seen it about 100 times with 250rs. ha but anyways thanks a ton for the info. where did you get the spindles and hubs, ive been looking for a set for my 250r for a while and i never seen hubs spindles for anywhere near 100. usually over 250 range. must be more and more people looking to do this mod. i think i might just hang on to the 06 then and see what happens..

troybilt
11-21-2009, 11:53 AM
ok. sounds good. i got the guy down to 1900 for the 04 but i didnt see it yet. chances are his nice is not my nice, ive seen it about 100 times with 250rs. ha but anyways thanks a ton for the info. where did you get the spindles and hubs, ive been looking for a set for my 250r for a while and i never seen hubs spindles for anywhere near 100. usually over 250 range. must be more and more people looking to do this mod. i think i might just hang on to the 06 then and see what happens..

I found the hubs, spindles, and rotors as a set on ebay, with a buy it now of 90 bucks. I jumped on it. You can find them if you keep an eye out. For around that 100-120 range, if I see some decent ones for cheap, I'm pm you.

The other thing I heard was you can grind the steering stem stops to get a little more corning ability. I have not tried this, but thought I'd pass this along.

Again, I think both deals are pretty good buys so it is really up to you, which bike you prefer, these are just my $0.02. I wanted to point out that the 06+ are good bikes too... and just because some racers prefer the 05 units, doesn't mean the 06+ can't be just as good a bikes for us "average Joes"...

If its an ER, there is something things you should know right off the bat, before starting it so you don't go thru starters. 1.) NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER, give it throttle while cranking on the starter, motor can kick back and ruin the starter motor. 2.) Take the battery out when not riding and keep on a trickle charger, takes a little time but saves you starting issues and batteries in the long run.

Just a couple of pieces of advice that I've learned. I'm a 450 newb too. I enjoy riding it, but it won't take the place of my 250r's. Goodluck to you.

250rPRIDE
11-21-2009, 01:48 PM
troy thanks for all the great info, i just got in from riding the 450 for a hour or so, its getting better, ya i did buy the 06 thats what started all this, but anyways if i could find a deal like yours on the hubs ect... then yeah pm and ill jump on it. thanks for all the tips and info i might go look at the 04 to see how good it looks and if its real nice ill get it. take the pipe if it will fit a 06 and some other little things and sell it to make a buck.. mabe
but now im going to do some real ripping on the true R. :D
thanks again

250rPRIDE
11-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't know where this 04/05 is alot better, comes from. The only thing better is the spindles and hubs, so spend 100 bucks and get the 04/05 spindles and hubs... its not hard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-trx-450r-spindles-trx450r-knuckles_W0QQitemZ150388849851QQcmdZViewItemQQimsx Z20091115?IMSfp=TL0911151610002r36655

just to give you a idea on what these are going for these days. if you dont want to look at the page just as set of 04 spindels went for 105 plus shipping.. haa then i need hubs and i want 2 sets of these 1 for my 250 and 450...

:mad:

troybilt
11-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes there is a few that go TOO high, but here is a set of hubs for 50, which is halfway there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX450R-FRONT-WHEELS-HUBS-TRX-450R-TRX450-HONDA-QUAD-R_W0QQitemZ370280261580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcyc les_Parts_Accessories?hash=item56366c67cc

troybilt
11-22-2009, 08:50 AM
found better set for 38:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2005-Honda-TRX450R-TRX-450R-Front-Wheel-Hubs-HUB_W0QQitemZ370271227471QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5635e28e4f

never mind thi si for ONE hub only.... but there is a few out there for decent prices.

troybilt
11-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry last one!!!!!!! Here is a set for 175:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-TRX-450R-FRONT-SPINDLES-DISC-AND-HUBS_W0QQitemZ380179251100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item588472ff9c

250rPRIDE
11-25-2009, 06:26 PM
thanks for keeping a eye out for me but right now things are getting a little tight, so i might have to wait out the spindles ect.. for a while. some day. i got all winter

croat1
11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
well i love my 250r's more than anything, but i jumped on a 2006 450er with about 6 hours on it for 2100. 100% stock tires are 75%, its in real great shape like new, i have rode at least 10 diff 450's but never owned one, after riding a while i just dont like it as much as a 250r or 400ex.. will i get use to it? i ride a lot of woods more than anthing, and i know i could smoke this on a good 400ex with equal riders, and kill it on my 250r. it just feels small and bumpy with little bottom end, the thought 4 thumpers were all torque and bottom end?? but all you 250r owners that got a 450r, let me know what you think, i could make a easy 500 on this r or should i give it time and keep it for a daily runner to help keep the 250r nicer for longer :D
thanks

i think you said it the best in the last line you originaly posted. keep the 450r as a daily runner and the 250r nicer for longer.

i have ridden and owned the following: atc 110, atc 200x, atc350x, atc 250r, trx 300ex, trx400ex, 1994 yamaha banshee, 2002 raptor and a 1985 quadracer. i think this is a very broad spectrum of bikes. my favorite is my 1987 trx250r. with parts getting harder to find i am going to buy a new 450r and use the 250r as a "limited use" bike. but then again i am building a new 2009 framed laeger 250r.

keep them both. if it comes down to it keep the 250r

250rPRIDE
11-26-2009, 08:06 AM
yeah that is what i am going to do.. i will not sell the 250r for sure.. but ya once i get use to the 450 i think i will like it and use it for a runner..
we had a lot of the same bikes, i have owned, a 110, 200x, 300ex, 4 blasters, younger days ha, 87 quadracer bla!, 400ex, a few 250rs, xr100 cr 125 yz 125 cr250, rincon 650, fourtrax 300 4x4, 450r,,,ect....
but after all that the 250r is what i liked the best