PDA

View Full Version : sway-bars in motocross

atveric132
11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
iv'e noticed lately that a couple pro riders have been running a sway-bar. in TT they have them going to there bottom shock mount but in motocross they have them connected to the upper a-arm. i was wondering what the advantage is or what you gain from running a sway-bar in motocross

TrapZ400
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
increased corner speed

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WWnMp7e9nI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WWnMp7e9nI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pappy
11-19-2009, 03:50 PM
TNT has a thread or two about this issue and how that part relates to MX, in the steering and suspension section

He gets to techincal for me to keep up with, but the info is there to read.

I asked a few riders mainly why they had it unhooked, and most replied to much traction on that given day. Others commented that it does work when track conditions allow it. A few even tried it in GNCC but I havent heard how they liked it etc

liljhall09
11-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Ya i heard it only works on certain tracks depeding on the conditions

witech
11-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow a torsion bar front end instead of a rigid rod.......how ingenious LOL . I have the suspension setup on the test mule for ultra plush 12 inches of travel with very little sway . Its been to the dunes ,mx,trail flattrack ice,and everything else. Its been taking a beating for several years now with no issue. Some of you may reconize where it come from. Brand new costs about $50 and a hour to build. I have a cobbed up 2 inch extension on the links to remove for standard travel. Without it its darn near undrivable as it will fall over in the corners with that much travel. It could use some different mounts for fine tuning on the arms but its been working so good I never bothered. Yes it can flex in the off centered hits and is cool to watch working .

liljhall09
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM
lets seee some more pics

spanky101
11-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Looks like an interesting setup. Post up more pictures if you dont mind, or a video would be great too!

300racer
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
i wouldn't mind tring the one from sonic offraod for a few xc races how much does it cost?

i wounder if i could buy a torsion bar from a company that makes micro sprints?

witech
11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry I am sick and cant go out to get pics . Heres one from the files from last years duen trip . Not very helpful i know but what the heck.

300racer
11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
1 looks basically the same just would have to make some mounts.

witech
11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Been a while. Looks like they took the utterly complicated way to build such a simple device.

300racer
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by witech
Been a while. Looks like they took the utterly complicated way to build such a simple device.
i was kinda thinking the same thing expecially when i saw the price tog or over $600. how long would it take to build one like you have?

csr250r
11-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I swith back and fourth from my tt setup to my mx setup, I have rode a few laps on my practice track with the swaybar on but I wouldnt prefer it all the time.

You have to remember that when you hit a bump with one wheel both shocks will take it, seems like it would tire you out faster, but it would help in the corners partially depending on your rear suspension setup.