PDA

View Full Version : Flooding issues

Grimzella
11-19-2009, 10:11 AM
This problem just started. I know 300ex's hate the cold. I have had mine for about 3 years. When starting the quad up for the first ride of the day... She will flood. I pull the spark plug and its soaked. (choke is off) once flooded.. i can sometimes get it to start by opening up the throttle fully, and then attempting to start. This sometimes works, mostly it does not.. I have to pull the spark plug and let everything dry. Strangely.. once i DO get it started and warmed up.. she starts up and runs fine the rest of the day. But if i let her cool down too much.. She wont start.. and i'm back to pulling out the plug again. I took the carb off and completely cleaned it out (pulled main and pilots out).. Everything looks great.. does not seem to be any cloggs.. and float needle ect are all fine? If i need to get a new carb.. I'm leaning on getting a 400ex carb.. will this carb be ok with my current setup listed below? or should i fix the problem i have with the 300ex carb?

Thanks everyone,
Dave

QuadCobbler
11-20-2009, 09:41 AM
The problem could be in how your starting it. If you press the throtel too many time before you start it or while it is cranking over. The 300ex has an exerator pump on the side. When you press the trotel it will shoot gas into the carb. Try pushing it like 3 times then crank it over with the choke about half closed.

If you go with a 400 carb you'd probly be fine I have a full super trap exhaust, uni filter 6 1/2 holes in my air box with a 400 carb, 146 main and stock pilot. I've been running this carb for about 4 mounths now with no issues.

Grimzella
11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
thats the funny part.. this is how i always start it, just like you said. i only fully crack it open full throttle once its flooded. cause that what the clymer book says to do if it does flood. seems strange huh? but thats what it says. thanks for the 400 info. i think i might just do that.