PDA

View Full Version : magazines scans are not allowed

troybilt
11-19-2009, 07:00 AM
apparantly, thread was removed. sorry. I will check into the legal stuff with the lawyers at work today and get back to you, but for now Pappy removed the threads. Thought you should know buds!

Thanks,
Troy

Pappy
11-19-2009, 07:21 AM
And as you have since learned, for the correct reasons;)

troybilt
11-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately, I have ZERO contacts at DW or 3&4 WHL Action, and I doubt they'd listen to me if I wrote them a letter. So I'll wait to see what Pappy finds out. Thanks again for that...

Hopefully we will be allowed to post these articles, cause there is alot of good information for us 250r guys, that is NON-existent in the new mags coming out.

Pappy
11-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Couldnt agree more, hopefully we can get an answer fairly quick. We also need to find out what the law is regarding copyrighted material related to defunct publications. Several old magazines are way out of business however may still be protected under current copyright laws.

Until then, no copyrighted material can be posted without documented permission from the publication or author of the material.

atvmxr
11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
is that correct? I thought copy rights were in place to stop people from making a profit...

I thought all you had to do was say "here is a scan from ___________ magazine, its copyrighted" and post away.. :confused:

Pappy
11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
If its used in an editorial context and a few other forms of usage then you are correct.

destey
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Fair use (wikipedia.org) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use)

As long as your doing it for non profit and you're not hurting the original copyholder monetarily, and if its not a substantial portion of the copyrighted work, should be ok. Not a lawyer though.

Pappy
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I can only go off what our lawyer has informed us regarding the issue.

Personally I dont care, but its not my money on the line. Until we are told different we follow what we have been told regarding the issue. We as a site do have permission to use the very materials that were posted, but what we dont know if that right extends to our members, and we are checking on that.

What was posted was an entire article so it would be in violation of the information you posted. I aint no lawyer either, and do my best to steer clear of issues that would involve them:blah:

troybilt
11-19-2009, 02:32 PM
On 3wheelerworld.com they have a whole section dedicated to magazine scans. Can we do a sticky thread inside the 250r section for just magazine scans that is owned/managed by atvriders? This might be a way around this, since atvriders has permission... just a thought.

01shee
11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't mind sending some of those old scans to me would yea. Purty please :) a.wdryden@yahoo.com.

Pappy
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
On 3wheelerworld.com they have a whole section dedicated to magazine scans. Can we do a sticky thread inside the 250r section for just magazine scans that is owned/managed by atvriders? This might be a way around this, since atvriders has permission... just a thought.

We do not own the scans, we just have permision to use them. If its decided that there is no harm, no foul, I have no problem with a sticky etc.

fordnut79
11-21-2009, 04:16 PM
bump
cool