PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a GNCC Machine

nwi45
11-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Not sure if this is the right section but I couldn't find anything.

In 2010 I'm going to be switching from motocross to the full GNCC Series. Not sure on what machine I will be riding, trying to work some stuff out with Honda. Either way, I was looking for some advice on cross country setups. It will be mostly a stock quad running in one of the A Classes.

Skids? Run all? A-Arm, Body and Rear?

Nerf Bars? I see alot of photos of people not running nerf bars.

Tires? What brand is a good relaible choice. I have been checking out Maxxis.

Suspension. Is racing on stock revalved suspension a death sentence?

Obviously a stabilizer.

Anything else someone can think of, throw it out there. I'm pretty much in the dark on this.

Scro
11-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Skids - Belly and rear is a must. A-arm skids aren't important.

Nerfs - It's personal preference really. Alot of people don't run them so they can put their feet down to back up.

Tires - Alot of people run Razr2 fronts, Razr1 rears. If you can afford it, get tireballs. The chances you will put a hole in a tire are high without them.

Suspension - A good set of revalved shocks can be just as good as some aftermarket sets, especially if they are set up correctly.

I would suggest starting out in something other than A. Even though you may have run A in MX, I would start out in the morning race just to get the hang of XC racing. They have a Sportsman A/B class for faster guys that don't/can't run the afternoon race.

If it were me, I would try C class first. You can always move up the next race.

Flynbryan19
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I agree w/ many of the things Scro pointed out.

Skids are a MUST. Nerfs are personal preference and not required in XC racing.

As for tires there are alot of options out there, but I prefer GBC's out of them all. They're every bit as good as Maxxis and at a better price.

As for suspension, revalves are absolutely a competative option. There were riders both this year and last in the Pro class running revalves. When you use the right company they're just as good as aftermarket. Everyone has preferences, but again I personally use GT Thunder and have been Very happy with their work.

And as for your class..... If you ran A in MX I would run the Sportsman A/B class in the morning as Scro said atleast for a race or two to give you an idea of how competative you are. If you are an A level MX rider though I wouldn't think it would be right to drop lower than B though.

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN. Its a great sport and in my opinon more laid back than MX.

nwi45
11-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I dont want to sound cocky or take anything away from cross country racing becasue I know its some intense racing. But I think I should be just fine running in A. I have raced Nationally in A in moto and I've been training harder than ever getting ready for these GNCC's.

Thanks for all the advice. What brand protection do you suggest? I have been looking at PRM.

300racer
11-19-2009, 07:25 PM
prm or maier plastic belly skid and gt thunder sprocket and rotor guard.

coryatver
11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by nwi45
Not sure if this is the right section but I couldn't find anything.

In 2010 I'm going to be switching from motocross to the full GNCC Series. Not sure on what machine I will be riding, trying to work some stuff out with Honda. Either way, I was looking for some advice on cross country setups. It will be mostly a stock quad running in one of the A Classes.

Skids? Run all? A-Arm, Body and Rear?

Nerf Bars? I see alot of photos of people not running nerf bars.

Tires? What brand is a good relaible choice. I have been checking out Maxxis.

Suspension. Is racing on stock revalved suspension a death sentence?

Obviously a stabilizer.

Anything else someone can think of, throw it out there. I'm pretty much in the dark on this.

skids you just need chassis and rotor, sprocket protection. dual sprocket and rotor guards are the best setup for ground clearance u pretty much have to run them now as everyone else is and the ruts are not carved out for a swinger skid. Plastic chassis skids are really nice they save a lot of wieght and that is that much less you have to wrestle around for 2+ hours

If you are used to running nerf bars you will probley want to. Only problem with them is they break off/bend and cause dnfs and also you can't put your feet down

Maxxis tires razr 2 fronts razr rears own XC racing

stock revalves? depends what kind. if you get gt thunder that have the works done to them pretty much totally gutted out and modded inside with the high flow pistions and whatever other magic stuff he does in them then they should be good but if you spend all that money to get that done might as well get some aftermarket hls or something

get a precision pro must have spend the money! Also Tireballs are a must have

if you never raced xc before and are going right into A class you are going to have a big wake up call lol not to take anything away from MX but most MX guys racing xc the first time DNF the first lap unless you are the next Brian Wolf.

Scro
11-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by nwi45
I dont want to sound cocky or take anything away from cross country racing becasue I know its some intense racing. But I think I should be just fine running in A. I have raced Nationally in A in moto and I've been training harder than ever getting ready for these GNCC's.

Thanks for all the advice. What brand protection do you suggest? I have been looking at PRM.

I use the GT Thunder Poly Rotor skid and dual sprocket guard for the rear. For the belly, I use PRM.

nwi45
11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
skids you just need chassis and rotor, sprocket protection. dual sprocket and rotor guards are the best setup for ground clearance u pretty much have to run them now as everyone else is and the ruts are not carved out for a swinger skid. Plastic chassis skids are really nice they save a lot of wieght and that is that much less you have to wrestle around for 2+ hours

If you are used to running nerf bars you will probley want to. Only problem with them is they break off/bend and cause dnfs and also you can't put your feet down

Maxxis tires razr 2 fronts razr rears own XC racing

stock revalves? depends what kind. if you get gt thunder that have the works done to them pretty much totally gutted out and modded inside with the high flow pistions and whatever other magic stuff he does in them then they should be good but if you spend all that money to get that done might as well get some aftermarket hls or something

get a precision pro must have spend the money! Also Tireballs are a must have

if you never raced xc before and are going right into A class you are going to have a big wake up call lol not to take anything away from MX but most MX guys racing xc the first time DNF the first lap unless you are the next Brian Wolf.

then call be brian wolf baby! im doin work this year!