PDA

View Full Version : Widening?

KISSmyACE
11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Just widened the front end of the quad. I have been told by different people that I should widen the back, and told by others that I was fine leaving it alone.

What's the real answer?
Do I buy a new axle now too?

If I don't have to widen the rear, are there perks of having it wider? Are the benefits of leaving it stock width in back, and extended up front (I highly doubt that)

slightlybent47
11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Ride it for a while like that and see if you like it. It;s not going to hurt anything.

gtt416ex
11-18-2009, 05:36 PM
it will slide just a little more than usual, that's about all it will do. it may three wheel just a little bit too in hard turns

Donjuan400ex
11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
you can always try out some Dura Blue wheel spacers!! I know people say they are junk but ive been riding now for 5years with my 02 and have dura blue spacers all around and havent had any problems. i ride dunes and trails constantly and jump alot and never had issues plus they were cheap to spread the rear end out a bit!!

mjc400ex
11-18-2009, 07:32 PM
There are extended rear hubs on e-bay for like $85.
They are machined aluminum and I think they look pretty cool.

wrekd
11-18-2009, 08:16 PM
I've had the G-Force extended hubs on my 400EX and now my Raptor with no problems. I don't race MX or anything though. But I will say they hold up to some jumps (6 ft or less, flat landing) with my fat *** (6'1" 290lbs) :D So I wouldn't be afraid to give em a shot.

wrekd
11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Heres some shots of them on my 400 and my Raptor. They're 1 3/4" wider on each side.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/wrekd96/DSCN1790.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/wrekd96/DSCN1789.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/wrekd96/DSCN1906.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/wrekd96/DSCN1907.jpg

TRXRacer1
11-19-2009, 06:37 AM
You can get 2 more inches with just a different set of ITP wheels. I'd do that before spacers.

F-16Guy
11-19-2009, 06:53 AM
If I were you, I'd either get G-Force hubs or a G-Force axle. The hubs would be the cheapest, most effective option, but the axle allows more adjustability. Installing an axle can be a PITA, though. My stock axle nut was on there TIGHT!!

KISSmyACE
11-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the ideas you guys.

I think I'll ride it like this for a little bit , see how it goes. And if I don't like it, I'll buy a G Force axle or a used Dura Blue. Luckily if it's too much of a pain in the ***, I have a pit crew (boyfriend) to help me out.

The hubs and spacers and widening kits are cheap and seem like the easy way out, but I don't know how much I wanna trust em. I ride on an MX track 3 times a week, lots of jumping, lots of weird and hard landings sometimes. Last thing I want is to hit a double and have a wheel pop off or some crazy $h!t even though I'm a smaller rider, that's a heavy quad coming down too.

Basically I'm looking for the best stability, and the option that will last me over an extended period of time that I won't have to worry about. I wanna build the quad up the right way, gradually even if it's more expensive.

Shawthy33
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Have you liked the 450r shocks and the +2 a-arm set up?

KISSmyACE
11-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I like my 450r shocks way better than the Works I had before, they're like night and day. I had my suspension guy help me get them dialed in, we had to soften them up all the way almost though. If you dont have 450 shocks yet and don't want to spend the money on elkas, ohlins, fox, or axis I'd say get on it. I got mine for 125 shipped.

The +2s are in the mail right now, I should have them on next week I'm guessing and I'll get back to you!!

Honda4life05
11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
hey you with the rapturd! are thoes mudsharks on the rear?

honda400ex2003
11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
yup they are but i dont have the raptor. lol. he will probably hunt you down when he reads that. lol. i would say definitely get an axle with as much track time as it will be seeing. you will never make a stock axle last with spacers. it will be bent in a couple rides if not the first bigger jump you take. steve

wrekd
11-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
hey you with the rapturd! are thoes mudsharks on the rear?

Yep..Why??

wrekd
11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
yup they are but i dont have the raptor. lol. he will probably hunt you down when he reads that. lol.

Nope...I'll just laugh when he posts up a thread about blowing the bottom end out of his 450 :p

honda400ex2003
11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
even better lol. steve

KISSmyACE
11-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Shawthy33
Have you liked the 450r shocks and the +2 a-arm set up?

So the +2s are AMAZING!! everything I hoped it would be and more. Definitely worth the money spent on the a-arms, and I feel like my bike is finally coming together. Before, with the 450 shocks and stock arms, I had them on REALLY soft, today after a couple laps on the track and a few hard landings, we stiffened them up a couple turns to prevent from bottoming out on any jumps. Now it rides great, couldnt be happier.

slightlybent47
11-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Cool man glad you like it. It’s amazing how much faster you can be with that set up.
Look for a used rear axel. I got a lone star +2 that’s adjustable for way less then new. And it works just as good as a new one. When I went to a +2 all the way around it was like night and day. I can go a full gear higher in the corners. Then when I put the elka shock on the back, it got even better, it keeps the bike flat in the corners, no more body roll.

KISSmyACE
11-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Cool man glad you like it. It’s amazing how much faster you can be with that set up.
Look for a used rear axel. I got a lone star +2 that’s adjustable for way less then new. And it works just as good as a new one. When I went to a +2 all the way around it was like night and day. I can go a full gear higher in the corners. Then when I put the elka shock on the back, it got even better, it keeps the bike flat in the corners, no more body roll.

I've been keepin my eye out for one on here and on ebay. If you come across one, PM me. It already feels much more stable in the turns, and yeah I basically just drove right thru most of the corners in 4th. It doesnt feel like it wants to tip anymore and it's nice to be able to maintain my speed.
hehehe and I'm not a man.

Honda4life05
11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
ridden them in snow? i pair came with me quad, but i've never ran them.

dubee
11-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Anyone happen to have stock (RIGHT) side top and bottum A-arms laying around??? both of mine are bent bad and need to change ASAP but the dealer is crazy!!

wrekd
11-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
ridden them in snow? i pair came with me quad, but i've never ran them.

I've never run them in the snow before, but a few of my friends have and they said they work real good. Hopefully I'll be able to test em out this week. I think we're due for a snow storm on thursday or friday.