PDA

View Full Version : Helping cool the 400

Foxhound013
11-18-2009, 05:11 PM
I've been reading up on secondary oil radiators and spal fans. I want to do both but i'm having trouble figuring it all out. What kind of radiator should I buy? How do I mount it? What is the best type to use for it? How much does it cool it? Do you keep the stock one on to? and my other question is should I even mess with the spal fan after I get a second radiator?

Thanks in Advance

Pipeless416
11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
honestly, on a stock bore/compression engine it's more work than it's worth. if you're serious about it, search four stroke tech cooler. some people go the inline route and just piggyback onto the stock cooler, or replace the stock cooler with a larger one. if you're going to do it that way, it would not be a big deal. the four stroke tech setup is a lot more involved. if you're not comfortable drilling and tapping your cases, this is not the mod for you.

texasman20
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a completly stock, atleast motor wise, and I put a spal fan on it just becaus I wasn't comfortable with the temps it was running at. Boutgh the kit off eBay and it installed in about 30 min and made a huge differnece! Dropped engine temps by anywhere from 20-30 degrees. Highly reccomended add if you just aren't comfortable with how warm it is running.

Foxhound013
11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks I think i'll get a spal fan then because i'd rather not tap the engine. Can you get a picture of yours so I can see what yours looks like.

texasman20
11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Ya sure. I am in class right now but will snap one when I get home tonight.

headache
11-20-2009, 12:53 PM
i had a 400ex for a while, and someone had put an aftermarket car transmission cooler on it, and a fan from a crotch rocket on it that was wired to come on when you turn the key on. worked great! and helps add oil volume. It was a fairly large cooler.

texasman20
11-20-2009, 03:41 PM
i have yet to make it back to my quad but i found the guy who puts a kit together on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/400EX-4-NEW-SPAL-FAN-PULL-COMPLETE-KIT-W-LED-SWITCH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9c3dcb60QQitem Z320448875360QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessori es

seems like his price goes up every time i look. You can buy the fan from spal for like 50 bucks i think then make your own lil brackets very easily. i will try and get one up of it mounted as soon as i can.

guenther
11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Just put my spal fan on today. Used zip ties and it was a snap. I haven't wired it up yet because the parts store was out of the switch I want. It's cold in Iowa now so I really don't have to worry about it until next Spring or Summer but I'll get it done shortly anyway. I paid $35.99 with free shipping on the 4" puller from troygaud off eBay. Looks like he has another listed for the same price.