PDA

View Full Version : Clutch tension problem, need some input

sXeKJB
11-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm having a problem with my clutch lever/cable not having any tension. and it seems the push lever shaft doesn't have any tension from the clutch other than from the push lever spring. From what I understood the tension should come from the clutch springs, and engaged by the push rod. I have the clutch springs in according to the torque specs but still I can move the push lever shaft freely (without the push lever spring in), and feels almost like the push rod isn't pushing it back into place.

My question is, does the shaft infact get the tension from the clutch springs? And what would someone suggest my next move would be, possibly checking the push rod for damage? testing the tension of the clutch springs?

It's an 06 450

BakerRacing40
11-19-2009, 04:13 AM
heres a parts diagram. make sure the spring for #9 is in there and make sure 22 and 29 are right.. hope this helps you out..

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

sXeKJB
11-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.

According to that parts diagram, yes I have #9 (clutch springs) in, and I'm sure #29 is tight; however, I have not checked the push rod for damage. Has anybody done this? Is it as simple as taking out the clutch springs>pressure plate>friction/clutch plates?

Here's the diagram from my service manual so you know what I'm using as a reference:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/teameffort/pic.jpg

sXeKJB
11-19-2009, 07:56 PM
For anyone else's reference:

So I went out this evening and took another look, took the clutch springs out as well as the pressure plate and the push rod sits right behind that (basically the push rod pushes against the pressure plate holding the clutch springs, which gives you your clutch tension), and found that the push rod was not pushed in all the way, also the push lever shaft was spun around all the way, so I had to turn that back around so it was seated against the push rod. So, gonna go test it out this weekend, the tension is a little tighter than it was before, probably just needs some tweaking as this cable seems shorter than the OEM. Thanks for everyone's input.8-)

BakerRacing40
11-20-2009, 12:28 AM
cool, hope it does good for you!