PDA

View Full Version : 250r jug and crank numbers

greenskin77
11-17-2009, 07:08 PM
hey guys i just took my 86 2504 jug off to replace rings for the first time.
ok my jug says its a 87. my rod says royal on one side and has numbers on the other wich are 2204/0501.
can anyone help me out maybe tell me if its a stock rod or short or long and why go with a 87 jug was he trying to gain topp end or bottem or what.
thansk
its a 4 wheel .

All250R
11-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by greenskin77
hey guys i just took my 86 2504 jug off to replace rings for the first time.
ok my jug says its a 87. my rod says royal on one side and has numbers on the other wich are 2204/0501.
can anyone help me out maybe tell me if its a stock rod or short or long and why go with a 87 jug was he trying to gain topp end or bottem or what.
thansk
its a 4 wheel .
It's not a stock rod. I personally have no idea what it is. Closest I came up with was this maybe: http://www.alibaba.com/member/tw105944334.html
Possibly a Taiwanese company.

greenskin77
11-17-2009, 08:43 PM
wow that site sells everthing.. not sure what to think. if i was to buy a crank or rod i dont think i would have went there lol..
but thanks for the help i am still searching around here.

All250R
11-18-2009, 01:10 AM
wow that site sells everthing.. not sure what to think. if i was to buy a crank or rod i dont think i would have went there lol..
but thanks for the help i am still searching around here.
I didn't comment on the cylinder because I wan't sure what to say at the time. Maybe this will help a little. Stock cylinders need porting. Even cleaning up the casting and rounding off edges makes a noticeable difference to a stock cylinder on an otherwise tight engine. Any cylinder can run well. The TRX250R is very modifiable. There isn't a real large reason to go to one cylinder style from another in my opinion unless you plan to work on a custom build, or the old cylinder was just shot and you needed a replacement.

If I had to move to another OEM cylinder, in stock form, I'd take an 87-9 cylinder because of the revised transfer and more open exhaust ports. If I were to customize an engine for max power, I'd design a porting arrangement for the 85-6 because of the open intake.

greenskin77
11-18-2009, 07:58 AM
ok
well i am not switching them it has a 87 and has been ported pretty good.
i didnt think there was much diff. in jugs , but i was just wondering so in case i want a differnt rod what to do but i not changing rods untill i figure out what i have ..
i just want littil more low end , but if to much hassel i ll just put rings in it ..

All250R
11-18-2009, 02:30 PM
ok
well i am not switching them it has a 87 and has been ported pretty good.
i didnt think there was much diff. in jugs , but i was just wondering so in case i want a differnt rod what to do but i not changing rods untill i figure out what i have ..
i just want littil more low end , but if to much hassel i ll just put rings in it ..
You can address a lack of bottom end with other things than porting. True that the if the porting is very aggressive, getting a low end trail bike out of the engine will probably not be feasible, but something more moderate can be worked with.