PDA

View Full Version : race fuel bad for stock motor??

400man
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
would using 110 octane race fuel be a bad idea to use in a stock 400ex motor? im working on getting my 400 xc race ready, just like a few more little parts. my motor is all stock, but just wondering if using maybe a 50/50 mix with premium pump and 110 race fuel would be bad for the motor? I know that it is no where near necessary to use race fuel, but I know it burns a little cooler than pump gas cause of the higher octane, and thats my main reason for wanting to use it cause a 2 hr race without stopping is hard on a motor and I figured race gas might make it a little easier on it. About the only negative effects I can think of is it might take a little longer to start cause the fuel/air mix wont ignight as fast?

NacsMXer
11-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Nah it's not going to hurt anything. Like you said, it's not necessary but it won't hurt to run it. If it is leaded, it will help it to run a bit cooler. I would go 50/50 at the most, but it is still a bit overkill for a stock motor. If you are worried about the heat that much I would consider adding a SPAL fan to the oil cooler, that will make a much bigger difference than the race fuel alone.

CarGuy7a
11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
The highest octane fuel I've ran in my stock 400 was VP105. Didn't really notice a big difference except the good smell of it.

Will it hurt it??? Probably not unless you get too high of an octane. The VP105 I've gotton before said it was formulated for stock to mildly built ATV and dirtbike engines.

TRXRacer1
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Race gas tolerates higher heat far more then it does cool. It's purpose is mainly just to offer higher resistance to detonation. Your idea won't hurt anything but it's pretty much a waste of money.